Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe – Original Recipe from Italy in Variants
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Shopping List Spaghetti CarbonaraFor your Spaghetti Carbonara you need the following ingredients…
- Pancetta/breakfast bacon
- Parmesan and Pecorino
- Salt, Pepper
- Optional parsley, sage, thyme
Pancetta is the Italian variant of pork belly bacon. Pancetta is marinated regionally with rosemary or sage and salt. Pancetta is available air-dried or smoked. For the Spaghetti Carbonara I prefer to use a lightly smoked bacon – Bacon is a good substitute!Spaghetti carbonara in the pan. Only the two cheeses Pecorino and Parmesan turn this pasta into an Italian original. © Thomas Sixt Food Photographer
2. Spaghetti Carbonara Original RecipeA chef friend from Verona told me his original family recipe for the Carbonara:
- Luigi foams the butter in a pan, adds the garlic and the diced pancetta.
- Sweat the base until light brown and fry lightly.
- The carbonara mixture then remains on the stove at low heat. The taste can then develop perfectly.
- Cook the spaghetti in a second pot until al dente.
- Remove the garlic from the carbonara mixture, the taste is now in the carbonara.
- Drain the spaghetti and shake well dry.
- Add the spaghetti to the carbonara mixture and remove the pan from the stove.
- Add the eggs and half of pecorino and parmesan. Optionally some cream/mascarpone…
- Peel off with salt and pepper and mix well.
- The pasta should be covered with egg.
- Add the remaining cheese and serve quickly.
Original Carbonara please prepare with two cheeses! For the perfect Italian taste experience you need Pecorino AND Parmesan.Carbonara Original Italian with crispy herbs. A great Carbonara Pasta that pleases the palate! © Thomas Sixt Food Photographer
3. Spaghetti Carbonara without bacon, vegetarianI have tried the Carbonara in different vegetarian variants. It tastes best with the following preparation:
- Use a strong smoked tofu instead of bacon.
- Remove the smoked tofu from the package and put the marinade in a bowl.
- Dab the smoked tofu dry, cut into fine strips and sear over a very high heat.
- Place the roasted smoked tofu strips back in the bowl and mix with the marinade.
- Season with a little smoked salt and a little soy sauce and leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Add the prepared smoked tofu to the brown garlic clove as a bacon substitute.
- The tofu should only become warm.
- Add cooked spaghetti, eggs and cheese, arrange… DELICIOUS!
- Just try this variation of the vegetarian Carbonara.
Carbonara also goes vegetarian without an animal. This is not a classic yet, but it tastes great!
4. Crispy herbs to complement CarbonaraMy carbonara always needs herbs. I like to combine parsley and sage to carbonara. I fry the herbs briefly in a little oil, so I get crispy herbs that flatter the palate. The combination of creamy eggs with pasta and a strong smoked taste gets a WOW palate feeling with crispy herbs. This is ideal when guests come or you want to spoil your loved ones. Crispy fried herbs complement my Carbonara as a taste kick to the creamy bacon egg sauce. Use parsley, sage and thyme. Rosemary is too strong for the soft pasta with egg. © Thomas Sixt Food Photographer
5. Spaghetti Carbonara RecipeFollowing my recipe with the exact quantities of the ingredients. I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
Recipe for Spaghetti Carbonara, original recipe from Italy with cook professional tips for ingenious Pasta Carbonara and Carbonara sauce.
|40-60||ml||Sunflower oil (to fry the herbs)|
Carbonara Sauce and Spaghetti
|80||g||Bacon strips (bacon) (Vegetarian variation see article!)|
Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan and fry the herbs briefly until crispy. Put a lid on the pan to squirt the fat. Place the crispy fried herbs on a paper towel and season with salt.
Place a large pot of water on the stove and season with salt. The pasta water may taste like sea water. Prepare the spaghetti for cooking.
Brown the bacon strips with the peeled garlic clove in a pan with the foamed butter until light brown. Let the carbonara settle next to the stove. Cook the spaghetti until al dente.
Beat the eggs in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, add the cream and whisk with a fork.
Pour off the spaghetti and shake out well, remove the garlic from the carbonara preparation. Pour the spaghetti into the pan, add half of the cheese and the eggs and mix briefly on the stove.
Arrange the spaghetti carbonara quickly on warm plates or in bowls, decorate with the remaining cheese and olive oil and prepared crispy herbs and serve.