OTHER LANGUAGES: German
In this post I show you my Spaghetti Carbonara recipe. I like to supplement the traditional pasta with egg with crispy fried herbs. So the pasta gets a special taste kick.
The crispy herbs in combination with bacon, egg and pasta are a sensational and aromatic combination.
As a professional chef I have the first tip for you: Add a little cream or whipped cream to the eggs. Then the preparation becomes lighter in consistency and wonderfully fluffy.
This pasta will convince every gourmet, I promise! I wish you good luck and a good appetite.
1. Shopping List Spaghetti Carbonara
For your Spaghetti Carbonara you need the following ingredients…
- Pancetta/breakfast bacon
- Parmesan and Pecorino
- Salt, Pepper
- Optional parsley, sage, thyme
The exact quantities of the ingredients can be found further down in the Carbonara recipe.
Pancetta is the Italian variant of pork belly bacon. Pancetta is marinated regionally with rosemary or sage and salt. Pancetta is available air-dried or smoked. For the Spaghetti Carbonara I prefer to use a lightly smoked bacon – Bacon is a good substitute!
2. Spaghetti Carbonara Original Recipe
A chef friend from Verona told me his original family recipe for the Carbonara:
- Luigi foams the butter in a pan, adds the garlic and the diced pancetta.
- Sweat the base until light brown and fry lightly.
- The carbonara mixture then remains on the stove at low heat. The taste can then develop perfectly.
- Cook the spaghetti in a second pot until al dente.
- Remove the garlic from the carbonara mixture, the taste is now in the carbonara.
- Drain the spaghetti and shake well dry.
- Add the spaghetti to the carbonara mixture and remove the pan from the stove.
- Add the eggs and half of pecorino and parmesan. Optionally some cream/mascarpone…
- Peel off with salt and pepper and mix well.
- The pasta should be covered with egg.
- Add the remaining cheese and serve quickly.
Luigi showed during the preparation that he likes to add some cream or even mascarpone to the carbonara sauce. This supports the taste and makes the Carbonara lighter. This is not mentioned in any cookbook!
Original Carbonara please prepare with two cheeses! For the perfect Italian taste experience you need Pecorino AND Parmesan.
3. Spaghetti Carbonara without bacon, vegetarian
I have tried the Carbonara in different vegetarian variants. It tastes best with the following preparation:
- Use a strong smoked tofu instead of bacon.
- Remove the smoked tofu from the package and put the marinade in a bowl.
- Dab the smoked tofu dry, cut into fine strips and sear over a very high heat.
- Place the roasted smoked tofu strips back in the bowl and mix with the marinade.
- Season with a little smoked salt and a little soy sauce and leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Add the prepared smoked tofu to the brown garlic clove as a bacon substitute.
- The tofu should only become warm.
- Add cooked spaghetti, eggs and cheese, arrange… DELICIOUS!
- Just try this variation of the vegetarian Carbonara.
I think it’s delicious…Write me your comments about the comment function.
Carbonara also goes vegetarian without an animal. This is not a classic yet, but it tastes great!
4. Crispy herbs to complement Carbonara
My carbonara always needs herbs. I like to combine parsley and sage to carbonara. I fry the herbs briefly in a little oil, so I get crispy herbs that flatter the palate.
The combination of creamy eggs with pasta and a strong smoked taste gets a WOW palate feeling with crispy herbs. This is ideal when guests come or you want to spoil your loved ones.
5. Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
Following my recipe with the exact quantities of the ingredients. I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
- 40-60 ml sunflower oil to fry the herbs
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 12 pc sage
- 4 cp thyme
- 1 pinch salt
- 80 g Bacon strips (bacon) Vegetarian variation see article!
- 1 pc garlic
- 25 g Butter
- 250 g Spaghetti
- 3 pc eggs
- 1 tbsp cream
- 60 g Parmesan cheese
- 60 g Pecorino cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 pinch pepper
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan and fry the herbs briefly until crispy. Put a lid on the pan to squirt the fat. Place the crispy fried herbs on a paper towel and season with salt.
- Place a large pot of water on the stove and season with salt. The pasta water may taste like sea water. Prepare the spaghetti for cooking.
- Brown the bacon strips with the peeled garlic clove in a pan with the foamed butter until light brown. Let the carbonara settle next to the stove. Cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, add the cream and whisk with a fork.
- Pour off the spaghetti and shake out well, remove the garlic from the carbonara preparation. Pour the spaghetti into the pan, add half of the cheese and the eggs and mix briefly on the stove.
- Arrange the spaghetti carbonara quickly on warm plates or in bowls, decorate with the remaining cheese and olive oil and prepared crispy herbs and serve.
6. Calories Spaghetti Carbonara
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Italian Pasta Recipes
- Main Courses Recipes
- Pasta & Noodles Recipes
- Vegetarian Main Dishes Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German