At this point I would like to present you my recipe for vegetarian Spaghetti Carbonara. The traditional Italian pasta dish sensationally prepared with tofu and mushrooms.
Pasta is definitely a feel-good meal and this dish with egg and cream always makes me happy. I eat meat-free more and more often, partly for health reasons and partly for animal welfare reasons. That’s why I have modified the traditional Italian dish for all those who feel the same way. After several attempts I have come to the following variant. The taste of the dish is very close to the original.
I often and gladly use smoked tofu as a meat substitute, if it is necessary for the good taste at all. Smoked tofu is so to speak my miracle substitute for bacon & co and I always have some in the fridge.
Shall we chat in the kitchen? I wish you success and a good appetite.
1. Basic Knowledge about Pasta Carbonara
There are a few points that are important for your pasta dish. Let’s start with the pasta:
- Be generous and buy a good pasta made from durum wheat. It doesn’t have to be manufactured goods, but should meet your quality standards. You are worth it…
- Tip: Pasta di bronzo has a rougher surface and flatters the sauce and the palate 🙂
- When cooking spaghetti, please use a really large pot, because the spaghetti should float in boiling water.
- Real dough-Italians swim in the sea. You should therefore make your pasta water taste like sea water with the addition of salt.
- Cook your pasta “al dente”
Then I would like to give you a few hints for the curdling of the egg-cream mixture on the noodles:
- Roast your tofu mushroom in the pan, this gives taste.
- I add a touch of garlic depending on the mood of the day…
- Put the boiled and well drained spaghetti in it and pour the egg-cream mixture over it.
- Leave it to stand in the pan for a while and then stir it with the large wooden spoon so that the egg gets all over the noodles.
- Add grated Parmesan/Pecorino to the pan and serve quickly.
Cream is a popular point of discussion at the Carbonara. Ornella from Milan showed me her family recipe with cream, with little cream!
2. Homemade Pesto
Of course, this is not part of the recipe for you and is not mandatory. So it is rather “the cherry on the cream”.
3. Vegetarian Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
- 250 g spaghetti
- 80 g smoked tofu
- 80 g champignons mushrooms
- 1 pc clove of garlic
- 1-2 tbs oliv oil
- 3 pc eggs
- 1 tbs cream
- 60 g finely grated parmesan or pecorino
- 4 pinches salt
- 3 pinches pepper
- 2 pinches dried chilli chili powder or chili flakes
- Place a large pot with plenty of water on top and bring to the boil. Salt the spaghetti water well - it should taste like sea water. Put the spaghetti into the boiling water and cook it until it is firm to the bite, depending on the thickness of the spaghetti 6-10 minutes. In between stir once with a wooden spoon.Pour the cooked spaghetti into a sieve and shake well.
- Cut smoked tofu into fine cubes.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Fry the diced tofu and mushrooms plus a finely chopped clove of garlic in olive oil. Remove the garlic from the pan later.
- Mix eggs, cream, finely chopped parsley, dried chilli, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add spaghetti to the tofu and mushrooms in the pan. Add the cream-egg mixture and mix briefly on the stove.
- Add grated parmesan or pecorino (caution, salty!)
- Arrange the Spaghetti Carbonara quickly on warm plates or in bowls, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle some more Parmesan cheese. If you like, add pesto genovese or wild garlic pesto as a supplement.Bon appetite!