OTHER LANGUAGES: German
My Shell Splinters recipe I show you in this article. We also know this popular sweet pastry under the name “Mountaineer”.
I have prepared for you a year-round and a Christmas variant for the most beautiful time of the year. So let yourself be surprised and seduced to baking!
I wish you lots of fun and good luck!
1. Preparing Shell Splinters, the most important Tips
Shell splinters consist of the bottom, the filling, the chocolate pouring and optionally the decorative elements. Here is a first idea for the order of preparation to ensure that everything works well:
- First prepare the shortcrust pastry
- Wrap the shortcrust pastry in plastic wrap and leave to mature in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Cut out round biscuits with a diameter of 5-7 cm
- Place the biscuits on baking paper, bake and leave to cool.
- Prepare the filling, let it cool down and put it in the fridge.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces for the icing and place it in a pot.
- Spread the filling on the bottom in a lace pattern
- Pour the liquid chocolate over the blanks from above and allow to cool.
- Optionally decorate with pistachio chips
After the first overview we want to have a closer look at the topic of the filling. There are variants here!
2. Fillings and Variants
You can prepare the mountaineer filling in different ways, two of which I would like to present below in addition to the recipe….
2.1 Filling from Sponge Cake and Cake Rests
This is a very simple variation, use sponge cake or marble cake to make a juicy filling.
An example recipe consists of: 250 g cake leftovers, 1 tbsp cocoa, 2 tbsp icing sugar, 2-4 tbsp rum, 80 g candied fruit and optionally 1-2 tsp cinnamon or gingerbread spice at Christmas time.
The filling mass may be moist, depending on how dry your cake leftovers are, you can add some milk to the mass.
2.2 Filling with Ganache
For the ganache I pour 150 ml cream into a pot and boil it up. Then add 300 g finely chopped chocolate. I stir in the chocolate and let it melt. Then I chill the ganache.
Before spreading I whip the chocolate cream once. If you wish, you can then refine your mixture with biscuits or sponge cake. During the Christmas season you can also add cinnamon and candied fruit.
Insider tip for the filling… add the pulp of a vanilla pod to the ganache and add 50 g soft butter when whipping. The aroma of this filling catapults you directly into the confectioner’s heaven.!
2.3 Filling for Christmas
At Christmas time I add cinnamon or gingerbread spice to the filling. Instead of sponge cake, I use small pieces of gingerbread or speculoos as a firm filling.
Insider tip Christmas filling: Add marzipan! Cut the marzipan into small pieces, if you add icing sugar, the marzipan cubes will separate better!
3. Shell Splinters Recipe
But now quickly to the bakery, I wish you good luck!
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar
- 40 g powdered sugar/ iced sugar
- 100 g Butter I use cold butter, for vegan variant margarine
- 150 g flour I use gluten-free flour!
- 1 pinch salt
- 80 g dark chocolate
- 180 ml milk I also like to use soy milk
- 2 sachets vanilla sugar I like to use the pulp of a vanilla pod
- 6 tbs powdered sugar/ iced sugar
- 2 pinches salt
- 25 g starch
- 80 g coconut fat I also like to use butter!
- 3 tbs Rum For children I use rum aroma
- 150 g ladyfinger biscuit I also like to use other biscuits, gingerbread pieces ...
- 150 g chocolate
- Put the ingredients for the shortcrust pastry in a bowl and knead quickly.
- Place the shortcrust pastry on cling film and wrap it up. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out after 5 minutes.
- Cut out round cookies.
- Bake the biscuits in the oven at 200 °C for approx. 8 minutes, then allow to cool.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces.
- Mix the cold milk, vanilla sugar, icing sugar, salt and starch in a saucepan until smooth and bring to the boil over medium heat and stirring continuously. Stir in the chocolate until it has melted.
- Decant the filling mass and cover the surface directly with cling film. No skin can form. Stir the soft coconut fat or butter briefly until creamy. Add the cold filling and whip until smooth.
- You can now add candied fruit, candied cherries, marzipan, gingerbread pieces or sponge cake to the filling according to your personal taste.
- Coat the cooled short pastry bases with the filling and apply generously. Place the biscuits on a grid and place a baking tray with baking paper underneath.
- Cut the chocolate for the coating into small pieces and melt slowly in a pot or water bath at low heat. Pour the almost cooled chocolate over the prepared mountaineers and allow to cool.
- Serve the mountaineers directly or keep them in a cookie jar. Enjoy your meal!
4. Calories and Nutritional Values
5. Further RecommendationsOat Biscuits
OTHER LANGUAGES: German