OTHER LANGUAGES: German
My Savoy Cabbage recipe I serve you in this post. Savoy cabbage is a great side dish for roasts, poultry and game. In autumn and winter it goes excellently with strong sauces, it simply works and is healthy!
Did you know? The ruffled cabbage can compete with the lemon in terms of its vitamin C content. Therefore, many raw food fans eat the tender leaves without cooking and cut the leaves finely as an insert in autumnal and winter salads.
If you want to preserve your intestines, you prefer to boil the leaves, so the cabbage is more digestible.
The savoy cabbage has many regional names: Welschkohl, Welschkraut, Savoyenkohl, Savoyer Kohl, and Schavur are well-known names. In Swiss German it is called Wirz or Köhli and in Austria it is simply cabbage.
Please read on! Let us show you several variants of the preparation that will make you survive in all situations. Wish you good luck!
1. Savoy Cabbage freshly prepared, the Cook Professional Tips…
In order to make the preparation easy for you, here is a small overview first. This will really put your cooking skills to the front!
- Buy fresh savoy cabbage, at best organic quality without harmful pesticides.
- The outer leaves come into the rabbit hutch or onto the compost, so please don’t go crazy if the outer leaves are a little wilted.
- It goes from the outside to the inside: Remove the leaves and wash them thoroughly.
- When the Savoy cabbage head has finally reached the size of a tennis ball, you can cut it in half and remove the stalk.
- Cut the coarse stalk out of the middle of the leaves in V-shape.
- Blanch the leaves in boiling salt water until al dente, then cool in ice water or under running cold water.
- Blanching (boiling in salt water and then shock-cooling) preserves the green colour!
- Cut the savoy cabbage leaves and finish Final with butter, cream, bacon cream or soy cream.
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper have proven their worth for refining and seasoning.
How long must savoy cabbage cook? The cooking time is about 5-6 minutes. The cabbage leaves can be easily torn after cooking.
2. How can you season Savoy Cabbage?
So that you get to know immediately some variants, you find here immediately one 🙂 Wirsingtable. Please blanch the leaves before preparation!
|Savoy Cabbage with Butter||savoy cabbage leaves, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper|
|Savoy Cabbage with Ghee||savoy cabbage leaves, ghee, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper|
|Savoy Cabbage with Cream||savoy cabbage leaves, cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper|
|Savoy Cabbage with Bacon||savoy cabbage leaves, fried bacon cubes, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper|
|Savoy Cabbage with Bacon and Cream||savoy cabbage leaves, fried onion cubes and bacon cubes, cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper|
|Savoy Cabbage with Soy Cream||savoy cabbage leaves, soy cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper|
3. Savoy Cabbage Recipe
Here now the step by step instruction with many photos to the Rahmwirsing. The derivations you will succeed with the help of the table and tips! You can use the comment function to send me a cooking question directly!
- 1 pc Savoy Cabbage I like organic quality
- 2-3 pc shallots or yellow onions
- 100 g bacon cubes optionale Zutat
- 30 g Butter I like Ghee
- 1 tsp maize starch for binding the cream sauce
- 1 mug cream optional, you can also use soy cream
- 1 tsp vegetable broth I use organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt I like Himalayan salt
- 4-6 pinches black pepper grounded
- 1 pinches Cayenne pepper
- 4 pinches nutmaeg
- Place the savoy cabbage on a board and remove the wilted outer leaves. Remove the cabbage leaves until the yellow head is about the size of a tennis ball in front of you. Cut out the stalk and tear to pieces. Wash and dry the leaves.
- Take the savoy cabbage leaves individually and cut out the strong V-shaped stalks. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and season with plenty of salt. The water may taste like sea water.
- Place the prepared savoy cabbage leaves in the boiling water and cook for about 6 minutes. The leaves are ready when they can be easily torn.
- Pour the savoy cabbage leaves into a sieve.
- How to cool savoy cabbage leaves under running water or prepare an ice water.
- Put the leaves in the ice water and cool them down. This preserves the green colour of the vegetables.
- Drain the leaves on a sieve and squeeze well.
- Lay on top of each other like savoy cabbage leaves and cut into fine strips with a knife.
- Cut the onion or shallots in half. Halved onions are easier to peel! Cut the peeled and halved onion or shallot into very fine cubes.
- Brown the onion cubes in some butter or...
- Optionally, fry the bacon cubes until crispy and add the onions.
- Mix the cold cream with the cornflour.
- Add the prepared cream to the onion or bacon onion cubes and bring to the boil. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Gently squeeze out the finely chopped savoy cabbage strips again and add to the cream to make the savoy cabbage vegetables. Arrange quickly and enjoy as a side dish. Enjoy your meal!
4. Calories and Nutritional Values
5. Other Side Dishes Recipe with VegetablesCream spinach
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Current and New Recipes
- Side Dishes Recipes
- Vegetables Side Dishes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German