Saving curdled Mayonnaise, all the Tips to make the Mayo succeed, Recipe for Mayo with the Hand Blender
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
- 1. Definition and interesting Facts about Mayonnaise
- 2. Mayonnaise, the Sources of Errors in the Preparation of the Mayonnaise
- 3. Saving Coagulated Mayonnaise
- 4. Make your own Mayonnaise Cooking Video
- 5. Recipe Prepare Mayonnaise with the Hand Blender
- 6. Calories Mayonnaise freshly prepared, the Nutritional Values
- 7. Note on the Shelf Life of Homemade Mayonnaise
1. Definition and interesting Facts about MayonnaiseMayonnaise is a classic cold sauce. Properly prepared, it is an emulsion, an even mixture of egg yolk, vegetable oil, lemon juice or vinegar, mustard and salt. The mustard acts as a binder and “emulsifier”. Through the intensive stirring, the ingredients combine to form a creamy mayonnaise sauce. In the professional kitchen, mayonnaise is the basis for many cold sauces; I will introduce the derivatives of mayonnaise: You need fresh egg yolk for the homemade mayo. You can recognize the fresh egg by the compact egg yolk and the perfect smell.
2. Mayonnaise, the Sources of Errors in the Preparation of the MayonnaiseIf the mayonnaise does not succeed, this is due to the following reasons:
- Egg yolk and oil were not tempered or too cold.
- The oil was stirred in too quickly.
- The oil content in the recipe is too high.
3. Saving Coagulated MayonnaisePrepare the curdled mayonnaise at room temperature. Start the preparation again from the beginning: Use a fresh egg yolk, mix it with mustard and salt, slowly add some fresh oil and let the ingredients emulsify by stirring until creamy. Now you can slowly stir in the curdled mayonnaise.
4. Make your own Mayonnaise Cooking VideoIn the following cooking video I show the preparation of the Mayo step by step. The recipe mayonnaise with the mixer I would like to recommend to you, this method is absolutely sure of success.
5. Recipe Prepare Mayonnaise with the Hand BlenderPrepare mayonnaise with a hand blender or magic wand, please note the following:
- Use a high beaker so that you can mix the egg yolks well.
- Use the stirring disc from the hand blender, not the knife.
- Use tempered ingredients to make the mayonnaise 100% successful.
- Add egg yolk, salt, mustard, vinegar or lemon juice and pepper to the mixing bowl.
- Adjust the blender and mix, add the oil in a thin stream and mix.
- When the mayonnaise is firm, slowly add more oil and work in.
- Egg yolk and oil must combine to a firm mass, the so-called emulsion.
Recipe Mayonnaise with the Hand Blender
Recipe for the preparation of a homemade mayonnaise with the hand blender.
|0.5||tsp||mustard (medium hot mustard or Dijon mustard)|
|240||ml||sun flower oil|
|1-2||tbs||Water (as needed)|
Process all ingredients at room temperature! Pour the egg yolk, salt and mustard into a narrow mixing bowl and mix with the stirring disc of the hand blender until voluminous.
Slowly add the sunflower oil drop by drop and continue mixing at high speed.
The mayonnaise becomes firm, then slowly add more sunflower oil and work it in. Egg yolk and oil combine to a firm, creamy mass, the so-called emulsion.
Finally stir in vinegar or lemon juice and pepper and finish the mayonnaise.
6. Calories Mayonnaise freshly prepared, the Nutritional Values
7. Note on the Shelf Life of Homemade Mayonnaise
Fresh egg mayonnaise should be consumed within 1-2 days, it is better to use it on the same day. If pasteurized egg yolk is used, the mayonnaise can be kept for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.