My recipe Salmon with Spinach is a wonderful low carb diet dish if you omit the well-known side dishes in the form of potatoes or ribbon noodles.
The preparation of salmon and the important and relevant information for the preparation of fresh spinach leaves I explain to you quickly in this article.
A cooking video of salmon with spinach accompanies you while cooking in your kitchen. I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
1. Prepare fresh Spinach with Salmon Step by Step
Let’s start with spinach: Please wash spinach several times in cold water. Packaged spinach is often rinsed with chlorinated water to ensure a longer shelf life.
Therefore, even if the spinach looks clean, it is essential to wash it sufficiently again. After all, the spinach should make you happy and not disinfect you.
After washing, dry the spinach on a sieve. Spinach wash like star chef: Take a look at my contribution – how to prepare leaf salad and wash it properly.
I use one or two shallots or yellow onions and some garlic as basis for the spinach preparation.
I dice both ingredients finely and sweat them glassy in a large pot. Next deglaze with a little dry white wine, now it’s time to prepare the spinach, which may now also be in the pot.
If the spinach is in the pot, quickly put the lid on the pot and boil over high heat for about 2 minutes.
This process ensures that the spinach collapses quickly and immediately cooks quickly…and retains its green colour.
Spinach comes green on my plate and not grey, short cooking time is important for leaf spinach!
2. Salmon with Spinach Cream Sauce, now it will be delicious!
Spinach with cream sauce is made with me in a pot. That is practical, so it goes on… the spinach has now collapsed in the pot due to the heat and has lost its salad-like volume.
Next, I add cream or soy cream and boil the creamed spinach vigorously once. NOW season with salt, pepper, some cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
In the cooking video I show a different order, the cream is put into the pot before the spinach. Both variations work wonderfully!
The sauce is now almost ready and the spinach should wait without lid for the salmon, which we prepare now.
3. Finish Salmon with creamed Spinach, prepare Tips for Salmon and finish the Sauce
You can now prepare the salmon in 3 ways:
3.1. Fry the Salmon in the Pan
Fry the salmon in a frying pan: add the dried salmon without skin and fry it in a pan on both sides with a little oil or without oil for a few minutes.
Remove the heat and continue cooking the fish until the core is no longer glassy but still very juicy. Season with salt and pepper and arrange on top of the spinach.
3.2. Poach or simmer the Salmon in the Cream Sauce
Simply place the salmon in the cream sauce and cook it standing next to the stove with or without a lid. This is a variant of poaching, the salmon is then not quite as pretty as roasted.
3.3. Prepare Salmon in the Oven
Put the salmon dry on a plate, brush with olive oil or melted butter, season with salt and pepper and cook in the oven at 120 °C hot air for about 12 minutes.
This variant of salmon in the oven is my favourite because there are hardly any odours and I also heat the plates in the oven.
3.4 Sauce Tips from the Star Kitchen to Cream Sauce to Salmon
I now pass the cream sauce through a fine sieve into an extra pot. Bring the sauce to the boil quickly with the salmon, stir some corn starch in cold water to bind the sauce and add to the boiling cream sauce.
Finally mix the sauce with cold butter and truffle oil. Squeeze out the spinach and put it on the plate, add the salmon fillet and finish the dish with the sauce.
4. Recipe Salmon with Spinach
I like to refine my cream sauce with salmon with a little white truffle oil. This gives the dish a fine, light truffle taste and puts it in the category of star cuisine.
- 1 kg leaf spinach fresh or 500 g deep-frozen spinach
- 2 pc shallots or yellow onions
- 1 pc clove of garlic
- 30 g Butter
- 80 ml dry white wine
- 2 mug cream or soy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-6 pinch Pepper black, ground
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 4 pinch nutmeg
- 2 pc salmon fillet
- 1 tsp sun flower oil
- 1 tsp truffle oil white truffle oil to supplement the cream sauce
- 1 tsp maize starch to taste to the sauce bind or 1 tsp linseed
- 40 g butter cold mix the sauce to taste to make it foamy
- Wash the spinach in plenty of cold water and change the water 2-3 times. Sand and other unwanted substances can be easily removed by washing and moving the spinach several times in water. Place the leaf spinach on a sieve and drain.
- Place the spinach leaves in a sieve and drain. You can tear off the leaf stalks or leave them on the leaves for a high-fibre spinach vegetable.
- Peel shallots and garlic clove and finely dice them. Please use a sharp knife and do not chop the ingredients. Sweat the shallots and garlic cubes in a large pot with the butter for a few minutes until translucent.
- Place the spinach in the pot and cook with the lid on high heat for 2-3 minutes until the spinach has collapsed. Add the cream and bring to the boil once, season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg and leave to stand next to the stove without lid.
- Remove the skin from the salmon fillets: To do this, cut the salmon fillets into portions and place them skin side down on a kitchen board. Remove the skin by making a horizontal cut with a sharp knife. Thinly slice off the thin, dark parts.
- Season the salmon fillet with salt and pepper and fry in a pan on both sides. The salmon should be juicy cooked on the inside, which means briefly roasted and then cooked over a low heat, so that a tender fish fillet comes to the plate. Alternatively, in the article above under point 3, I describe further variants for cooking, poaching or roasting salmon fillets.
- Strain the cream sauce through a fine sieve into an extra pot and bring to the boil. Mix the corn starch with a little cold water and add to the boiling cream sauce. Add cold butter and truffle oil to the sauce and mix until foamy.
- Arrange the spinach on hot plates, add the salmon fillet and add the foamy cream sauce to the dish. Serve quickly - enjoy your meal!
As described in the introduction, this dish with salmon is low carb if you omit the side dishes. The nutritional value calculation and calorie data are therefore without potatoes. Note: You can replace the corn starch used to bind the sauce with linseed. Mix the linseed in the sauce and let the cream sauce rest for about 10 minutes. This will save you additional carbohydrates.