from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
- 1. The right Type of Rice for Saffron Risotto
- 2. Saffron Threads or Ground Saffron?
- 3. Saffron Risotto Base, with or without Vegetables
- 4. Professional Chef Tip for Dressing and … so you quickly conjure a Saffron Sauce
- 5. Recipe for Saffron Risotto
- 6. Nutritional Values and Calories Saffron Risotto
- 7. Other Recipes for Risotto
1. The right Type of Rice for Saffron RisottoThe three well-known risotto rice varieties are called Arborio, Carnaroli and Vialone. Here is a small description:
1.1 ArborioArborio is the best known and most widely used rice for risotto. This rice variety is named after a place in Piedmont. The rice is recognizable by thick grains about 7 mm long and quite symmetrical. Arborio Risotto Rice Cooking time: About 16-18 minutes cooking time is optimal for this rice variety.
Conclusion: Arborio is a safe variant and ideal for the guest kitchen.
1.2 CarnaroliCarnaroli is called the king of risotto rice varieties. This trip was crossed in 1945 from the varieties Vialone and Lencino. The Carnaroli always produces a wonderfully creamy, pleasantly pithy risotto. The grains are about 7 mm long. Carnaroli does not stick when cooked. On the plate it offers a great, bright, almost completely white appearance and a slightly sweet aftertaste. Carnaroli Risotto Rice Cooking time: About 16 minutes cooking time is optimal for this rice variety.
Conclusion: Carnaroli is the rice of top cuisine, Gualtiero Marchesi, Italy’s first three-star chef, says: “I only use Carnaroli because it gives the risotto more creaminess and keeps it al dente longer than all the others”.Saffron risotto with fish or shrimps I show elsewhere, just click on the picture!
1.3 VialoneThe Risotto rice variety Vialone is little known in Germany. Vialone rice grains are larger and rounder than Carnaroli. This rice produces a very typical risotto and has the shortest cooking time of the three varieties. Vialone Risotto Rice Cooking time: About 14 minutes cooking time is optimal for this rice variety.
Conclusion: Try it out and buy it in special shops or bring it directly from Italy.
2. Saffron Threads or Ground Saffron?You can prepare your saffron risotto with ground saffron or saffron threads. Experience shows that a mixture is ideal because ground saffron makes the risotto more colourful. Saffron is an affordable luxury spice and delights the palate.
3. Saffron Risotto Base, with or without VegetablesAs a basis for the saffron risotto I use vegetables like carrot, celeriac, parsley root and shallots or small onions. Cut the vegetables into fine cubes and sauté in some olive oil and butter. This is a good taste basis for your risotto and you will achieve a natural, tasty depth.
Prepare saffron risotto with vegetables, great taste guaranteed!If you want to make it fast, just leave the vegetables out – prepare risotto only with shallots or onion base.
4. Professional Chef Tip for Dressing and … so you quickly conjure a Saffron SauceHere are some tips from the catering trade for your perfect saffron risotto…
4.1 Arrange Saffron Risotto optimallyYou can arrange the saffron risotto in the classic way as in the picture. Use a sideboard ring and place it on the warm plate. Fill in the risotto, it should not be too liquid for this variation. Decorate with some cheese – I cut the pecorino or parmesan into fine, wafer-thin slices with a peeler!
4.2 Saffron Risotto with Saffron Sauce or Saffron FoamTowards the end of the cooking time, keep the risotto more liquid with about 200 ml broth and bring to the boil. Then pass the broth through a sieve into an extra pot. You can add a few grains of rice to bind the saffron sauce. Bring the saffron-rice broth to the boil and mix with a cup of cream.
Saffron foam gives the saffron risotto a kick towards starry cuisine!Now refine with salt, pepper, nutmeg and saffron and mix with cold butter until foamy. Place the saffron foam on the risotto – it looks great and tastes great! Red pepper goes well with risotto with saffron, not necessarily classic but optically and tastefully a bitch!
5. Recipe for Saffron RisottoSafranrisotto explained step by step, I am happy if you cook this dish yourself! If you have any questions, please use the comment function. Good luck!
Tested recipe for saffron risotto, step by step instructions with many tips from the professional chef Thomas Sixt for a rice dish with saffron.
|1||pc||onion or 2 shallots geschält (peeled and finely diced)|
|1||bunch||Soup vegetables (peeled and finely diced)|
|100||ml||dry white wine|
|100||g||parmesan (or pecorino)|
|0,2||g||Saffron (2 small letters)|
|1/2||bunch||Parsley (may be substituted)|
|1||tsp||red pepper (may be substituted)|
Peel and finely dice the onion or shallots, peel the vegetables and finely dice them. Sweat vegetables and onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon butter until translucent.
Finely dice onion or shallots and sweat in 1 tablespoon olive oil until translucent.
Add the risotto rice and sweat for 3 minutes until colourless.
Add the dry white wine, vegetable stock, salt, saffron, nutmeg, cayenne pepper to the risotto. Cook the risotto stirringly until al dente.
Prepare the saffron sauce according to your wishes, see the description in the text above. Cut some cheese with the potato peeler very thinly and lay ready, grate the remaining cheese finely and add to the risotto. Vegan: Leave the cheese out!
Fine-tune the risotto to a creamy consistency, if necessary also stir with butter and olive oil until creamy. The risotto tastes best if it is not too firm but runs off the spoon. Arrange the saffron risotto on the preheated plates.
Add the prepared cheese slices and alternatively add the saffron foam. Finely chopped parsley or some chervil and red pepper are suitable as decoration.