I have prepared a recipe for Saffron Risotto with Prawns or Fish for you! This is a great dish. Your guests and loved ones will be thrilled.
This Saffron Risotto – Risotto alla Milanese I show in two variations: One with plaice rolls and one with prawns. This will make you happy.
It is a good combination of fresh ingredients and convenience, as you can buy the plaice fillets for the plaice rolls frozen in any supermarket. The same goes for the prawns!
This is a great dish for guests! Tasty, tasty, a dish you can shine with in the kitchen. I’ll also show you the variation with other fish species, with this recipe the great cuisine is no longer a secret!
1. Saffron Risotto with Prawns or Fish, Tips for Variations
I introduce this popular risotto dish with prawns and plaice rolls. A vegetarian saffron risotto you will find here. You can use other fish species: Halibut turbot or sole (unfortunately expensive) are ideal. Even crispy fried zander or a crispy fried trout filet would fit to saffron risotto. The advantage of plaice, halibut, turbot and sole: these fish have hardly any bones and you can process the fillets directly and quickly without skin.
Have the fish fillets either prepared by the fishmonger or buy the frozen plaice fillets. Remove the skin from the plaice fillets with a sharp knife using the white skin. To do this, hold the fillet on the narrow side with your left hand, cut it along the skin with a knife under tension and remove the fish skin. Poach halibut and turbot in portions, if you buy sole, make sure the fish trader prepares it and monitor the cooking time (poaching) carefully.
2. Variation Saffron Risotto with Prawns
You can also prepare your saffron risotto with shrimps. Ideal are grey, large, raw shrimps, simply fry them in a pan over high heat and season with salt and pepper. Flambé with cognac, just before serving, would be an option and create a special taste.
Saffron risotto with prawns – a simple dish for guests with a strong appearance!
3. Professional Chef Tip for this Dish – Saffron Sauce as Saffron Foam
Stretch the risotto towards the end of the cooking time with some broth (approx. 200 ml). After boiling, pass the broth through a sieve into a second pot. Bring the saffron-rice broth to the boil, finish with a cup of cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg and saffron and mix with cold butter until frothy. Pour the saffron foam onto the risotto, this will please the eye, the foam complements the saffron risotto with a taste explosion.
Step by step explained, I am happy if you cook this dish yourself! If you have any questions, please use the comment function. Good success!
- 10 pc plaice fillets
- 300 g prawns or shrimps
- 2 pinch salt
- 6 toothpick
- 1 onion or 2 shalotts peeled
- 2 tbs oliv oil
- 300 g risotto rice Arborio or Carnaroli or Vialone
- 100 g dry white wine
- 800 g water
- 1 dice concentrated vegetable broth
- 2 pinch salt
- 0,2 g saffron 2 small letters
- 2 pinch nutmeg grounded
- 2 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 0.5 bunch parsley only the leaves
- 1 tsp red pepper
- Cut the plaice fillets in half lengthwise, roll them up starting from the narrow side and fix them with toothpicks. Alternatively, prepare shrimps ready to roast, peel, remove intestine.
- Finely dice onion or shallots and sweat in 1 tablespoon olive oil until translucent.
- Add the risotto rice and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine, water and the cube of vegetable stock, salt, saffron, nutmeg, cayenne pepper to the risotto. Cook the risotto until it is firm to the bite.
- Poach the plaice rolls in a steam sieve over boiling water for 4 minutes. Alternatively poach in some broth: Bring the stock to the boil, remove from the heat, put in the plaice rolls and poach without lid for 3-4 minutes. Prawns: Fry in a little oil at high heat, flambé with 8 cl cognac.
- Arrange the saffron risotto on the preheated plates.
- Place plaice rolls without toothpicks or shrimps on each plate with risotto. Sprinkle the plaice rolls and risotto with 1 tablespoon olive oil or finalise the saffron risotto with the saffron sauce/saffron foam (see text and description above).
- Decorate with finely chopped parsley leaves and red peppercorns and serve immediately.