OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Now may I present my Turkey Roll Roast recipe. The preparation is really simple, because it all comes from the oven – scrub pots goodbye…
Meals with success are boneless – that’s possible with the roll roast!
Poultry is healthier than beef or pork. That’s why I’d like to recommend turkey meat to you. I know… animal husbandry is what matters nowadays, especially with turkeys!
That’s why I show you my organic meat turkey roast as a whole. Animal welfare is also human welfare – yes!
I wish you a lot of joy while cooking. If you like, share the recipe with your friends – thank you and good luck!
- 1. Buy Turkey Roast
- 2. Matching Side Dishes for Roasting Poultry
- 3. Prepare Roast Turkey by Season
- 4. Prepare Roast Turkey in the Oven
- 5. Here is the Recipe
- 6. Calories and Nutritional Values at a Glance
- 7. More Ideas for tasty Turkey Meat Dishes
1. Buy Turkey Roast
The classic roll turkey roast is wrapped in a net and placed in the refrigerated shelf or counter.
What kind of roll roast could you buy in the shop?
1.1 Marinated Rolled Roast with Turkey Meat
This meat has been heavily seasoned. Pickling salt is often used to extend the shelf life of roasts.
Personally I do not like the high proportion of cheap salt in pre-marinated meat. This also applies to roast poultry.
Marinated roast rather wash off and season carefully with salt!
Therefore I would advise you to rinse the wound roast once briefly under running cold water.
Then I supplement the poultry roast with herbs or spices…
1.2 Unseasoned Rolled Roast with Turkey Meat
Unseasoned meat is always great. You can use your great rock salt or ur salt as well as freshly ground pepper from your pepper mill.
Unseasoned roast poultry is first choice when shopping!
A little rose pepper or cayenne pepper always tastes great.
2. Matching Side Dishes for Roasting Poultry
The practical thing about this dish is that you prepare the vegetable side dishes directly with the roast, in the large roaster or on the baking tray.
The following table will help you to choose vegetables and side dishes according to country cuisine:
|German||potatoes, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, soup vegetables|
|Mediterranean||zucchini, eggplant, paprika, fennel, olives, capers|
|Austrian||potatoes, chanterelles, porcini mushrooms|
|American||pumpkin, chestnuts, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes|
3. Prepare Roast Turkey by Season
If you are interested in seasonal cuisine, I can recommend my seasonal calendar for vegetables, fruit, meat and fish.
In the case of roll roast, here are my recommendations according to season and holidays:
|Spring / Eastern||asparagus green or white, courgette, green beans, potatoes||light white wine sauce|
|Summer / Garden Party||EXTRA from the oven: baked potatoes, EXTRA : fresh from the grill corn on the cob, peppers, courgettes||grill sauces see recipes Thomas Sixt|
|Autumn / Thanksgiving||mushrooms, carrots, pumpkin, turnips, potatoes||brown sauce with a light red wine|
|Winter / Christmas||chestnuts, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, cranberries||dark sauce with a heavy red wine and dark chocolate to taste|
4. Prepare Roast Turkey in the Oven
Here we go… First the oven! Since turkey meat is rather lean meat, I preheat the oven at 220°C first.
Cooking time turkey roast: 170°C approx. 1.5 hours
4.1 Turkey Roast with powerful, dark Sauce
In the cold seasons I season roasts with salt, pepper, paprika/cayenne pepper and a little sugar. I add fresh oranges and onions before cooking in the oven.
At Christmas time I also like to use the typical Christmas spices: Cardamom, cinnamon, gingerbread spice, orange peel.
After the baking phase, I add red wine and a veal stock to the roast. I also grate dark chocolate in my sauce. This gives me a powerful sauce.
4.2 Turkey Roast with White Wine Sauce or White Wine Stock
In the light season I season the roast with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and lots of fresh herbs. Shallots and a little fresh garlic give a deep taste when sizzling in the oven.
After the cooking I extinguish the roast with white wine and chicken broth. So I get a light, light and fine sauce.
As herbs I like to use: parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, lovage. I cut these into small pieces beforehand.
Aromatic ingredients to cook with in the oven: onions or shallots, garlic clove halved, olive oil, butter, bay leaf.
4.3 Prepare Roast
It’s as simple as that… here are the steps for you in a nutshell:
- Season the roasts as desired and place them on the baking tray or in the roaster.
- Add vegetables, potatoes and carrots (hard vegetables right at the beginning).
- Season vegetables also with salt and pepper
- Add the aromatic ingredients
- Put the roast in the oven and reduce the temperature to 170°C.
- After 30 minutes, deglaze with wine or broth or stock.
- After 50-60 minutes add soft vegetables such as courgettes, tomatoes and eggplants.
- The roast poultry is ready to serve after about 1.5 hours.
5. Here is the Recipe
You’ve read this far? That’s great! Then you are perfectly prepared to put this dish safely on your plate.
I wish you good luck and a lot of fun cooking. I am looking forward to comments and success messages.
- 1 pc roll turkey roast I like best to buy the turkey roll roast unmarinated!
- 5 pc potatoes
- 2 pc carrots
- 4 pc shallots
- 2 pc cloves of garlic
- 4 tbs oliv oil
- 500 g Butter
- 1 bunch parsley fresh
- 3 twigs thyme fresh
- 2 twigs rosemary fresh
- 1 leaf bay leaf
- fresh dill or parsley
- Cayenne pepper
- black pepper grounded
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 150 ml chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 50 ml cream
- 1-2 tsp starch potoato or maize starch
- 4 tbs water
- Preheat oven to 220° C hot air. Prepare a baking tray or a roaster for the turkey roll roast with baking oven vegetables, drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Finely chop herbs such as parsley, thyme and rosemary. Of rosemary and thyme use only the needles and tips.
- Season the unmarinated rolled roast with salt, pepper, paprika or cayenne pepper. Rub with a little oil and massage in the spices plus the finely chopped herbs.
- Peel, clean and chop all the vegetables: Cut potatoes into quarters, shallots roughly into quarters or halves, carrots into slices, peeled garlic cloves into halves.
- Place the rolled roast in the roaster together with the potatoes and vegetables plus the bay leaf and butter. Season everything again with salt, pepper, paprika/Cayenne pepper, spread with olive oil. Add approx. 50 ml broth on the side. Put everything in the oven.
- After about 30 minutes cooking time add some white wine. Adjust the temperature according to the size of the roast turkey. At the beginning 220° C then 170° C.
- Check the cooking degree! After the cooking time, remove the roaster from the oven. Remove the roast and vegetables separately and prepare them. Bring the broth to the boil with some more broth, white wine and cream. Bind with 1-2 tsp. starch (mix with 4 tbsp. cold water in a cup or small bowl). Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the plates. Put some sauce on the plate as a mirror. Cut the turkey meat into thick slices. Arrange the oven vegetables. Enjoy your meal!
6. Calories and Nutritional Values at a Glance
7. More Ideas for tasty Turkey Meat DishesTurkey Leg in the Oven
Fry Turkey Schnitzel
Bread Turkey Escalope
Tasty Turkey Wok
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Current and New Recipes
- Main Courses Recipes
- Meat Recipes
- Turkey Meat Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German