I present my Roasted Duck Leg Recipe for the Oven in this article. As always, there are a lot of detailed tips and tricks around the duck leg roast as well as several cooking videos. No question should remain unanswered and I am happy if you get your duck legs juicy and crispy on your plate at home.
The recipe is kept simple and the vegetables can be washed up with the duck legs in the oven. In this article, I’ll nevertheless go into detail on the optimal preparation of the duck legs, reveal sauce tricks and ideas for further side dishes.
I would be happy if you share this article with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest and pass on the recipe. Good luck!
- 1. Simple and practical: Leg of Duck in the Oven with Vegetables
- 2. Roast Leg of Duck properly
- 3. Duck Leg Cooking Time
- 4. Duck Leg low Temperature
- 5. Sauce for Duck Legs
- 6. Cooking Video Duck Legs Recipe simple
- 8. Triggering roasted Duck Legs on Cooking Video
- 9. My Recipe Duck Leg from the Oven
- 10. Side Dishes for Leg of Duck from the Oven
- 11. Calories Duck Legs fried with Vegetables, the nutritional Values
1. Simple and practical: Leg of Duck in the Oven with Vegetables
The Barbarie duck legs can be bought in our supermarket. If the clubs are close to the expiry date, they are often sold at 50% of the normal price and then it is time to strike and prepare immediately on the same day. The practical thing about this duck dish is the complete preparation in the oven including the vegetable side dishes. It’s quick and easy, good cuisine doesn’t have to be expensive. You can also find a similar recipe for duck breast, which is the duck breast in the oven.
2. Roast Leg of Duck properly
In contrast to fry duck breast I do not fry the leg of duck in the pan. The even, crispy roasting of the legs is not possible in the pan on the stove. That’s why I always put the duck legs in the oven. What you should pay attention to follows here…
2.1 Season Leg of Duck before Roasting
Season the duck legs with salt and pepper before roasting. The salt then makes the leg skin crispy and crispy under the influence of heat. The oven can, but does not have to, be preheated. The legs may sweat a little in the steam at the beginning, this is similar to roasting goose. Nevertheless, I usually preheat the oven so that it goes faster. I go into the hot air area at 200-210°C, which is a high temperature and I have had good experiences with it.
2.2 Duck Legs become better by turning and turning?
This is a question that I am always asked among my friends and acquaintances. You can spare yourself the turning and turning if you fry at high temperatures and use the hot air. The hot-air stage wakes the clubs evenly and you save yourself one or more work steps. You can also use this tip when preparing a Christmas goose, I would like to mention it briefly here.
2.3 Leg of Duck crispy
The legs of duck need to be seasoned with salt on the one hand and the high temperature on the other to become crispy. You can carefully prick the skin of the duck legs after 20 minutes of cooking with a thin fleshy fork. Please do not prick deep into the meat, but only into the skin. This allows the fat to escape, you get a good gravy to the duck leg and at the same time the skin of the duck leg becomes crispy.
2.4 Sole Leg of Duck in Pickling Salt
Many professional chefs (Schuhbeck, Witzigmann) put duck, goose and Co for 2-3 hours in a Pöckellacke and swear on the fact that the skin becomes then crispier and the meat more tenderly. A 2-3 % Pöckellake consists of one litre of water and 30 g Pökelsalz. I do not do it at home, who wants to try it has now the instructions for it.
3. Duck Leg Cooking Time
The cooking time of commercial duck legs is about 45-50 minutes at 200-210°C hot air. At about 45-50 minutes. I choose this high temperature because of the legs and so that the vegetables are well cooked. The vegetables don’t become so nice and tasty at temperatures below 200°C.
4. Duck Leg low Temperature
You can also cook duck legs at a low temperature. Low temperature cooking takes about 3 hours with the duck leg at 80°C top and bottom heat. The duck legs are already seasoned at the beginning. Towards the end of the cooking time, switch on the grill (230°C) and let the leg skin become crispy. Vegetables and side dishes must then be prepared separately.
5. Sauce for Duck Legs
Some tips for the duck leg sauces.
5.1 Leg of Duck Sauce with white Wine
You can pour some white wine and chicken stock on the duck legs right at the beginning, or after 25 minutes cooking time, after the first piercing of the skin. Note that the liquid does not evaporate completely and if necessary simply add more liquid. This will produce a good gravy for the leg of duck.
5.2 Leg of Duck Sauce with red Wine
In the recipe below I show a variation with red wine and broth.
5.3 Leg of Duck Sauce with Veal Stock – real Duck Sauce
If you want to have a real duck sauce, pour after 20 minutes cooking time a glass of veal stock and add a piece of butter (30 g) to the duck legs. The result is a strong duck sauce that will give you real pleasure.
5.4 Leg of Duck with Oranges like Sauce for Duck à l`Orange
Prepare the duck legs without the addition of broth. Remove the crispy duck legs from the roaster at the end of the cooking time. Heat the roaster at the stove, add some sugar, this should caramelise lightly, then quickly deglaze with dry white wine (or flambé with some Grand Marnier or Cognac), add orange juice of 1-2 oranges and 50 g butter. Stir a teaspoon of starch into a little cold water and add to the sauce. Let it boil briefly and season to taste with salt and pepper. Then pull away from the heat, add the orange fillets and serve. Cranberries please only few as decoration to the sauce (not classical). In the following my video for the preparation of the orange fillets and tips for the side dishes of the duck with orange.
5.4.1 Prepare Orange Fillets Cooking Video
Das vorbereiten der Orangenfilets zeige ich in diesem Kochvideo
5.4.2 Side Dishes for Duck à l`Orange
Croquettes, Madel potatoes, gnocci, butter savoy cabbage, Brussels sprouts, buttered vegetables and red cabbage or blue cabbage go well with the duck with oranges.
6. Cooking Video Duck Legs Recipe simple
In the video I show step by step how to fry duck legs.
8. Triggering roasted Duck Legs on Cooking Video
9. My Recipe Duck Leg from the Oven
- 180 g duck legs
- 1 bunch soup vegetables carrots celery and leek
- 1 pc clove of garlic
- 1 pc apple
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch sage
- 1 shot red wine heavy
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper black, grounded
- Wash and dry the legs of duck and put them in a roaster.
- Preheat the oven stage hot air at 210° Celsius. Wash and chop the vegetables.
- Halve and peel garlic, quarter apples.
- Add the prepared vegetables, garlic and apple to the legs. Spread the herbs generously over the vegetables and legs. Season everything with salt and pepper and put into the oven.
- After about 20 minutes, deglaze with the red wine and vegetable stock. Pierce the duck leg skin with a fine fork. Add the butter to the roaster. Cook the duck legs for another 20-25 minutes.
- Arrange duck legs and vegetables, add sauce and serve with cranberries.
- You can also cook this recipe without the soup vegetables, herbs, the wine and the stock if you don't want to have a sauce.
10. Side Dishes for Leg of Duck from the OvenYou can also cook small peeled potatoes without further ado. Other possible side dishes are presented during: Recipe red cabbage - cooking video blue cabbage
potato dumplings at bavarian pork roast
bread dumplings or napkin dumplings - video napkin dumpling