Today I present you my veal roast recipe. The preparation is really easy, and YOU can let the stars rise in your kitchen with this dish.
Veal has a finer taste than beef. When shopping, look out for good quality – organic meat is recommended. I know, but… animal husbandry is what counts these days!
I wish you a lot of fun reading now and cooking afterwards. If you have any open questions, you can send them to me using the comment function at the bottom of the page. If you like, share this article with your friends. Thanks and good luck!
1. What meat are you buying for the veal roast
Several pieces of meat can be used for the fine braised beef:
- Leg of veal
- Saddle of veal
- Veal Neck
- Breast of veal
- Veal nut
- Knuckle of veal
The veal breast can be braised in a short time. The back is particularly fine, the knuckle a gourmet!Recommends cook Thomas Sixt
2. Further ingredients for the roast
In addition to the meat, you need some other important ingredients to braise the meat and create a good sauce:
- Soup vegetables
- Tomato paste
- Veal stock
- Vegetable broth
- Salt, pepper, pimento
- Dry red wine
You can prepare the veal stock yourself or buy a stock in a glass. Of course, home-made veal stock is always better and you can find the recipe for veal stock here.
Morels and calf are the finest combination!Recommendation from cook Thomas Sixt
3. Side dishes
In addition to the inserts presented below, you can also combine other selected inserts:
3.1. Vegetable side dishes
Besides the side dishes presented below, potato gratin and ratatouille are my first choice. Such a dish was prepared by star chef Heinz Winkler.Side dishes recommended by chef Thomas Sixt
4. Insider tip for morel sauce
The strong veal sauce can be accompanied by a light, frothy sauce. This sauce is smart and quick to prepare and brings an extra magic to your plate.
You can then serve the morels either in veal stock or in the light sauce. Both taste simply amazing!
Morel scum or truffle scum… the light and airy fine sauces complement this dish and conjure up stars.Tells us the cook Thomas Sixt
5. Proper braising
Before we dedicate ourselves to the preparation, I would like to write you a few important lines about “proper stewing”. These are basic things of a classical preparation technique from the professional kitchen.
- It is best to use a large pot or a roaster with a lid.
- The meat should be fried first. Please spice it just before you put it in.
- After frying on all sides, remove the meat from the roaster.
- Next, fry the diced vegetables, roast them with tomato paste, then deglaze with red wine.
- Put the roasted meat back into the pot, cover with the veal stock and close the pot with the lid.
- Place in the oven and braise in the oven at 180°C.
This is how the “real stewing” works, as we cooks learn it in training. You can use this method of preparation for all subsequent dishes:
Professionally correct braising allows your meat to cook evenly and the result will certainly give you pleasure.
Proper braising: With lid and heat from all sides.Recommendation from chef Thomas Sixt
6. Veal roast recipe
You read this far? That’s great! Then you are perfectly prepared to conjure this dish safely onto your plate.
I wish you good luck and a lot of joy in recooking. I am looking forward to your comments and success stories.
- 1 kg veal subshell or nut, neck, chest
- 1 bunch soup vegetables
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 2 pc shallots optional
- 2 pc garlic cloves optional
- 1 leaf laurel
- 400 ml dry red wine
- 2 glasses veal stock
- vegetable broth as needed
- 16 pc morels
- 1-2 tsp starch potato or corn starch
- 100 g butter
- 1 pc shallot
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 leafs laurel
- 1 pc allspice
- 1 tsp flour
- 50 ml dry white wine
- 250 ml vegetable broth
- 100 ml cream
- 10 pc potatoes
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 50 g butter
- 5 pinches nutmeg
- 1 pc fennel
- 2 pc courgettes
- 4 pc sweet peppers
- 1-2 tsp oliv oil
- 25 g butter
- salt I use primal salt
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- whole cane sugar
- butter cold
- Preheat oven at 180° C hot air. Rinse veal roast under cold running water, dry.
- Cut the soup vegetables into small pieces and prepare them for the sauce. Peel the garlic and shallots.
- Heat a roaster, season the meat with salt and pepper and fry on all sides with sunflower oil. Then remove and place on a plate.
- Place the vegetables in the roaster and roast them, then roast them further with tomato paste, deglaze with red wine and veal stock. Put the meat back into the roaster and put it in the oven covered with liquid and lid. Optionally you can fill up with vegetable stock!
- Put the morels in cold water and soak them.
- Cut the shallot into fine cubes. Sweat with butter, bay leaf and pimento in a pot for 10 minutes at moderate heat.
- Add the flour and let it sweat briefly without colour. Then deglaze with cold white wine and cold vegetable stock and bring to the boil.Let the cream run into the strongly boiling sauce and bring it to the boil. Leave to ripen for 15 minutes next to the stove.
- Pass the sauce through a fine sieve and prepare to serve.
- Wash and peel the potatoes, cut them into quarters and shape them with a small knife.
- Boil the potatoes in boiling salted water until soft, drain them and place them in a pan with the finely chopped parsley and butter.
- Wash and prepare vegetables. Cut the fennel into eighths, halve the zucchini lengthwise and cut into slices, peel the peppers or cut them with skin into 2.5 cm pieces.
- Fry the vegetables one by one, one by variety, in a pan with the olive oil and then place them in a large bowl or a second pot. The vegetables should still have bite after frying!
- Remove the soft braised meat from the roaster, cooking time guide 1-1.5 hours. Place the meat in the oven at 80 °C or let it rest in the oven.
- Pass the sauce through a fine hair sieve into an extra pot. I put the cooked vegetables on the compost.
- Boil the veal sauce. Remove the morels from the water and stir in the starch. Pour the starch water slowly into the boiling sauce, bring to the boil and thicken the sauce.
- Halve the morels to taste and then place them in the sauce. Boil the sauce again for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the plates. Heat side dishes and sauces. Season vegetables and potatoes with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Optionally season with some sugar.
- Cut the meat into slices and place on top. Add vegetables and potatoes. Nappe veal sauce with morels over the meat. Mix the light sauce with ice-cold butter until frothy and nappe some foam over the morels.
- Quickly serve good appetite!