OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I present you my recipe for Veal Shank as roast veal. After all, the veal knuckle is the ideal roast veal for the guest kitchen and is great on the table.
The knuckle of veal can be easily prepared, it is absolutely sure to succeed and the luxury class knuckle when the boss comes over for dinner.
A French star chef once called the veal shank the “Bentley on the table”… The pork knuckle cannot compete with the veal knuckle in terms of taste.
The veal knuckle is strong in taste and yet fine. Now let yourself be inspired to braise the veal knuckle. Have fun and good luck!
1. How do you prepare a Knuckle of Veal?
- Preorder the veal shank at the butcher, for 4 persons a veal shank of 2 kg is sufficient.
- In addition to the veal shank, order 2 kg of finely chopped veal bones and prepare a veal stock. Alternatively you can buy a veal stock in a jar.
- Buy soup vegetables: celery, carrots, leek, onions, parsley roots.
- I recommend garlic, thyme, bay leaf, sweet paprika and tomato puree as aromatics.
- Get a good red wine for cooking, I recommend you a Spanish red wine.
- Preparation in short form: Season the knuckle of veal, fry, roast finely chopped vegetables in the roaster, add the tomato paste and roast until light brown, pour in the wine and veal stock, add the aromatics, cover and braise for 2 hours in the oven.
2. Which Side Dishes go with the Veal Shank?
Here are some ideas for side dishes for roast veal – the veal shank, so I can answer the question: What should I eat with the veal shank?
Spaetzle, finger noodles, mashed potatoes, celery puree, potato gratin, finger noodles, gnocchi, potato dumplings, napkin dumplings, bread dumplings, parsley potatoes, fried potatoes, ribbon noodles, tagliatelle.
Broccoli with almonds, broccoli with butter crumbs, glazed carrots, glazed root vegetables, red cabbage & blue cabbage, cream savoy cabbage, Brussels sprouts with butter crumbs, Brussels sprouts with almonds, vegetables tossed in butter.
Star chef tip: Refine your sauce with porcini mushrooms, chanterelles or morels!
3. Cook the Knuckle of Veal properly
I learned how to stew veal in Bavaria. The veal shank comes after the browning and infusion with lid into the oven. The veal shank can then be cooked at moderate heat. This has less to do with low temperature, because low temperature would mean about 120°C. A good temperature range for braising the knuckle of veal is 170°C with the lid closed. You can also stew your knuckle of veal in a Roman pot, after I have broken such a clay pot already once, I prefer to stew the knuckle of veal in a roaster. Please forget all pseudo-tips for steaming the veal shank, I have tried it all out and the best is still stewing the veal shank with the lid.
4. Recipe Veal Shank
Below is my recipe for the veal shank, I wish you every success. Please send questions directly via the comment function!
- 2-2,5 kg knuckle of veal in whole
- sweet paprika
- 1 tbs rapeseed oil
- 2 pc onion
- 1 Bund vegetable broth
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 500 ml veal stock
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 2 pc cloves of garlic
- 1/4 bunch thyme fresh
- 2 pc bay leaves
- 1-2 tbs cornflour
- 60 ml water
- 60 g cold butter
- Wash and dry the knuckle of veal, season with salt, pepper and some paprika.
- Brown the knuckle of veal in a roaster with the oil from all sides and remove from the roaster.
- Brown small cut vegetables consisting of carrots, onion, celery and parsley root in the roaster, then add leek, tomato with tomato paste, roast light brown, deglaze with veal stock and red wine and bring to the boil.
- Place the garlic, thyme, bay leaves and knuckle of veal in the roaster and braise with the lid in the oven at 170°C for approx. 2.5 hours. Turn the veal shank after 1.5 hours of cooking.
- In the meantime, prepare the side dishes for the veal shank. Towards the end of the cooking time, check the cooking degree of the veal knuckle by piercing it with a meat fork: If the veal shank meat can be pierced without any noticeable resistance and no red meat juice escapes, the veal shank is cooked.
- Remove the knuckle of veal from the roaster and keep warm. Pass the sauce through a fine hair sieve and bring to the boil. Mix the starch in cold water and pour into the boiling veal sauce. Continue cooking the sauce, so that the sauce binds. Before serving, season the sauce with salt and pepper and mix with cold butter.
5. Nutritional Values Roast Veal - Knuckle of Veal
6. Other Recipes for Roast VealRoast veal - veal breast stuffed with bread dumplings as in Bavaria
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Bavarian Cuisine
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes
- Low Carb Recipes
- Veal Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German