OTHER LANGUAGES: German
My recipe Goose Roast I present to you in this contribution. I have prepared this summary for you so that the roast goose comes perfectly with fine side dishes on the table.
I show you in nine videos: Buy goose, fill, fry, trigger… serve crispy, prepare goose sauce, dumplings and red cabbage.
Today we are going step by step to success and we have the kitchen timing in mind for a stress-free cooking experience.
So if you want to prepare Martin’s goose or Christmas goose perfectly, you’ll find the right instructions here.
Good luck! Please share this article on Facebook, thank you!
- 1. Preparing Goose Roast in a classic Way, the most important Things at a Glance
- 2. Roast Goose Cooking Time
- 3. Ideas for Kitchen Timing, Guest Kitchen and Christmas Goose
- 4. Cooking Videos
- 5. Recipe Goose with Dumplings and Red Cabbage
- 6. Calories (kcal) and Nutritional Values
- 7. Updated... Vegetarian Christmas Goose
- 8. Other Recipes and Recommendations
1. Preparing Goose Roast in a classic Way, the most important Things at a Glance
Get all the ingredients…some decisions still to be made these I have marked for you…
Roast poultry and sauce:
- Buy fresh or frozen goose.
- Defrost overnight on a baking tray covered with a tea towel. Cook the innards and neck in the oven.
- For the sauce, buy a veal stock or cook yourself.
- Make enough onions, apples and marjoram or mugwort available for the filling.
The classic filling for roast goose consists of onions, apple and mugwort.
Mugwort and marjoram as an addition have a cultural background: the mugwort, whose botanical name is Artemisia vulgaris, is associated with Artemis, the Greek goddess of wild hunting, the virgin warlike moon goddess, the mistress of medicinal plants and herbalists as well as the patron saint of wild animals and protector of women and guardian of childbirth.
Mugwort and marjoram support the taste and fat burning of fatty foods, so these herbs are perfect for roasting poultry.
Cook red cabbage yourself the day before or refine a prepared red cabbage and put it in a pot.
Prepare napkin dumplings with rolls or pretzel sticks, alternatively potato dumplings.
2. Roast Goose Cooking Time
The cooking time, depending on the oven and the weight of the goose, is 2.5 – 3 hours at a temperature of 170 degrees Celsius. If you use bottom and top heat, the frequent turning of the roast poultry is necessary for an even cooking result.
Cooking time of “Videogoose” at a weight of 3.5 KG: 2 hours
3. Ideas for Kitchen Timing, Guest Kitchen and Christmas Goose
So that cooking is fun, here are some tips from the professional kitchen for optimal timing…
- Put your roast poultry in the oven in the morning if you want to put it on the table in the evening.
- Trigger the roast poultry around 12 o’clock.
- Carve the breast, legs and meat from the carcass and place on a baking tray with the skin up.
- Use the carcass, filling, offal, neck and parts of the dripping with veal stock to prepare the goose sauce.
- Take care of the side dishes in the afternoon.
- After 2-3 hours of cooking, strain the sauce, bind it and prepare it.
Later, heat the goose pieces crispy under the grill, apply heated side dishes and serve the delicious roast poultry with the sauce.
4. Cooking Videos
In the introduction I promised you some videos for the preparation. The entire preparation of poultry roast, side dishes and sauce with all tips you can find as a complete playlist here.
You could have a look at the whole preparation in peace and take all tips 🙂 with you!
4.1 Video Preparing Goose in the Oven
4.2 Red Cabbage as a Side Dish
I cook the red cabbage fresh the day before because it is already prepared. In addition, the red cabbage tastes better when warmed up several times.
4.3 Dumplings as Side Dish
As dumplings you can prepare bread dumplings or napkin dumplings. The preparation of the dumplings I show you in the video.
If you want to save time, you can use a ready-made dumpling. Half and half potato dumplings have proven themselves as a side dish. You can find even more information, variations and tips at the recipe napkin dumplings.
Video Prepare napkin dumpling mass:
Video wrapping prepared bread dumpling mass in aluminium foil
4.4 Cook Poultry Roast until perfectly crispy
Pour the gravy over the goose every 20 minutes and do not forget to add salt.
4.5 Trigger or carve Goose Roast
So that it succeeds surely here the description:
- Remove the clubs, then the breasts along the breastbone.
- Remove the remaining goose meat from the bone with a small knife and use for the pan dish for dinner.
- Place the goose pieces on a baking tray with the skin side up.
- The goose legs can be divided again at the joint, breasts should only be divided after the crispy grilling so that they remain juicy.
With my kind of roast goose preparation, the goose is already released before the guests are there. So I bring the goose pieces perfectly crispy cooked on the plate.
Shortly before serving, the goose pieces are put into the oven again, step grill with hot air at 220°C. The grill is then ready to serve. So I can cook the goose pieces exactly hot and crispy. This relieves the strain in the kitchen and provides an optimal result.
4.6 Prepare Goose Roast Sauce
Once the goose has been fried and released, there is still time to cook a great goose sauce from the carcasses, which really deserves its name. Here are the instructions in short form….
- Sweat apple pieces, chopped onions and marjoram in a high saucepan.
- Add the carcasses, roast residues from the baking tray with a little goose fat or only the dark roast fat.
- You can also put the innards, wings and neck or collar in the goose sauce.
- Fill up with veal stock and simmer gently for 2 (at least) to 4 hours.
After the sauce has developed sufficient flavour, pass it through a fine sieve. Then bring to the boil and reduce and thicken with cold mixed starch or a freshly grated potato. Season to taste and prepare for serving.
Mix the sauce with cold butter before serving and season again with salt and pepper if necessary. Here are the videos….
Prepare the Goose Sauce:
Tie and Finalize the Sauce:
4.7 Prepare and arrange Goose Roast crispy
Finish roast poultry and arrange with side dishes:
- Keep the dumplings warm, cooked on a baking tray, sliced at an angle.
- Bring the red cabbage to the boil, drain the cabbage on a sieve.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and mix with butter.
- Put the plates in a hot place.
- Heat the goose pieces on the baking tray with the skin up under the grill.
Serve goose with crispy skin and side dishes
5. Recipe Goose with Dumplings and Red Cabbage
Wow – almost done, now you can go to the kitchen and get started. Have fun!
- 1 pc goose approx. 3.5 kg
- 5 pc onions for the filling
- 5 pc apples for the filling
- 4 tbs majoram
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper grounded
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- 1 pc cooked filling of goose apple and onions from the roasted goose
- 1 pc crushed, cooked goose bones
- 1 pc offal and neck of gooses
- 1 roast set of baking tray and dark goose fat
- 1 l veal stock How to make veal stock, veal sauce, veal jus
- 1 l chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 pc potato raw to grate finely and thicken the goose sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper grounded
- 60 g cold butter
- aluminium foil
- 120 g Butter
- 1 pc onion
- 400-500 ml milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper grounded
- 1 pinch nutmeg grounded
- 500 g bread cubes
- 4-5 pc chicken eggs
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 500 g red cabbage finely chopped
- 100 ml chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 120 g apple puree
- 3 tbs cranberries
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 30 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 pc onion
- 1 pc bayleaf place on onion
- 1 pc clove stick through bayleaf and onion
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Defrost goose, wash, dry. Place the intestines such as liver, stomach, heart, throat and belly fat in an extra bowl.
- Prepare the filling: Peel and quarter the onion and place in a large bowl. Wash and cut the apples into quarters and add to the onions. Season the filling with salt, pepper and marjoram.
- Place the ready-to-cook goose dry spotted on a deep baking tray seasoned with salt and pepper, fold down the wings and give the goose a good stand. Place the filling in the abdominal cavity and fix the clubs crosswise into the incised abdominal lobes. Season the goose from the top with salt and pepper.
- Pour the vegetable stock into the goose, place in the cold oven and fry at 170 degrees Celsius hot air for 2-2.5 hours. After 30 minutes, pour the dripping over the goose, lightly prick the legs in the skin, then gently add salt to the goose after pouring. Repeat the watering of the goose with roast fat at least 4 times during the entire cooking time.
- Put the light goose fat from the baking tray in a bowl and later prepare goose fat from it. Let the cooked goose cool slightly and carve lukewarm - remove the legs and breasts and place on a baking tray with the skin up. Remove the rest of the meat from the goose with a small knife and use it later for goose broth. Place the whole filling in a saucepan, add the frying fat and dark goose fat from the baking tray. Add the rest of the filling to the pot.
- After the arrival of the guests, fry the goose pieces again lightly salted under the grill at approx. 230 ° C until crispy.
- Place the prepared, finely chopped goose bones in the pot, where you will already find the roasted filling, the fresh apples and onion with marjoram (the rest of the filling) as well as the roast set from the baking tray. Now fill up with veal stock and vegetable stock and simmer for at least 2 hours, better up to 4 hours. Pass the sauce through a fine sieve, reduce the sauce to the desired taste and thicken with fresh, finely grated raw potato. Mix up the sauce, season to taste again and bring to the boil before serving and assemble with the butter.
- Heat about 30 grams butter in a pot, add onion cubes and sauté until colourless. Add the milk, bring to the boil and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour the milk and onion mixture over the bread cubes and mix well. Let the breadcrumbs cool down a little, then fold in the eggs and let the mixture steep for 15-20 minutes. Heat the remaining butter, prepare aluminium foil sheets, finely chop the parsley and mix into the hand-warm dumpling mixture. Flavour with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Brush the aluminium foil with butter generously, then divide the bread mass, beat the aluminium foil together and form even sausages - turning the ends together. Cook the napkins and bread dumplings in aluminium foil either over steam, in a steam cooker or in lightly boiling water for 40 - 50 minutes, depending on the thickness. Unpack the bread dumplings, keep them warm or wrap them in foil to keep them fresh. Just before serving, cut the hot dumplings into oblique slices and prepare them for serving. It is also possible to fry the dumpling slices in butter.
- Mix the finely chopped red cabbage with chicken stock, apple sauce, cranberries, white wine, balsamic vinegar as well as salt and pepper - knead the red cabbage well. The marinated red cabbage can now be marinated overnight in a pot in the refrigerator or prepared immediately. Before bringing to the boil, add the onion, halved and larded with bay leaf and clove. Bring the red cabbage to the boil with the lid on, then simmer lightly for 1.5-2.5 hours with the lid on, if necessary add some vegetable stock. Season the red cabbage to taste with salt and pepper and keep ready to serve hot.
6. Calories (kcal) and Nutritional Values
7. Updated... Vegetarian Christmas GooseBased on a recent Facebook survey, I developed and created a recipe for vegetarian Christmas goose. Let yourself be inspired and do something good for yourself and the planet! Protect the climate & save geese: Recipe vegetarian goose - the roast goose as a vegan Christmas goose... The preparation, the making of red cabbage or blue cabbage I show in a detailed article with many pictures and step by step instructions. For the recipe red cabbage click here...
8. Other Recipes and RecommendationsVegan Christmas Goose Recipe Prepare roast duck
Prepare duck in the oven
Prepare the duck breast step by step in the pan
Prepare duck breast in the oven
Prepare duck legs in the oven
Duck chinese style with cooking video
Duck with pineapple and Red Bull
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Bavarian Cuisine
- Christmas Recipes
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Goose Recipes
- Main Courses Recipes
- Meat Classics Recipes
- Meat Recipes
- Recipes with Cooking Videos from Thomas Sixt
- Top 15 Recipes for Christmas
OTHER LANGUAGES: German