OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I show you my Duck recipe for the Oven. The duck roast in the oven comes today in Bavarian variant on the table.
Beside red cabbage, pretzel dumplings and glazed carrots there are ideas for crispy duck and for sauce preparation.
Many step-by-step photos and videos accompany you as you cook.
Have fun reading and cooking yourself!
- 1. Oven roast duck
- 2. How to Prepare crispy Duck
- 3. Bavarian Duck Roast Recipe for the Oven
- 4. Calories (kcal) and Nutritional values Roast Duck with Pretzel Dumplings and Red Cabbage
- 5. Other Recipes with Duck
1. Oven roast duck
The goal is a crispy duck with tasty side dishes. You can be flexible here: Glazed carrots, glazed root vegetables, Brussels sprouts, red cabbage, cream savoy cabbage, these are typical well-known and popular side dishes.
The whole duck, weight approx. 2 kg, needs a temperature of 175°C hot air. The cooking time is 85 minutes.
Timing: When I get guests in the evening, I put the roast duck into the oven around 10 o’clock in the morning.
Around 12 o’clock I can release “The Bird”, chest and clubs I put then on a baking sheet with the skin upward.
Duck sauce: I cook the carcass and remains in a pot with the apple and onion filling and the gravy, veal stock and vegetable broth. There is also time to prepare the side dishes and set the table…
Here’s my overview of the ingredients, that’s handy when you’re standing in the supermarket:
- Get a whole duck fresh at best, otherwise thaw it overnight in cold water.
- For the filling apple and yellow onion, marjoram and optionally garlic.
- For the sauce veal stock and vegetable broth.
- Prepare your own red cabbage or pimp a pre-cooked red cabbage, follow my tips below.
- Prepare pretzel dumplings as a side dish. You will need pretzel sticks, eggs, milk, butter, onion and parsley.
- Prepare glazed carrots as a side dish.
This dish is a festive roast, the time frame for the preparation is 2-3 hours.
1.1 Prepare stuffed Roast Duck
I fill the duck’s belly with apple, onion and marjoram. Cut the apple and onion into small pieces and season with marjoram, salt and pepper. You can optionally add garlic.
The filling allows great aromas to develop during roasting. Roast juice and duck fat get a taste.
You can also put the duck unfilled in the oven, then put the apple and onion pieces on the baking tray, so you achieve a similar effect.
Since the preparation of the duck works like with the roast goose, I have inserted the video for you:
1.2 Duck with Pretzel Dumplings
The dumplings with pretzels are a special form of the napkin dumplings. Instead of sliced white bread you use freshly cut pretzel sticks. First remove the salt from the pretzel sticks.
- Brown the onion cubes in butter,
- Bring to the boil with milk, pour over the cut pretzel cubes and temper,
- Add eggs and mix,
- after 20 minutes refine with finely chopped parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg,
- Wrap in buttered aluminium foil and cook for 45 minutes floating in boiling water.
As an alternative I show a variation with potato dumplings with the other duck recipe.
The video of the dumpling preparation follows here:
1.3 Duck and Red Cabbage
You’ll find a recipe for red cabbage on my site. At best, prepare the red cabbage the day before and then heat it up again.
Red cabbage always tastes better after the second heating.
Making red cabbage yourself is a lot of work. Perhaps you would like to use a prepared red cabbage that has already been cooked. Here are my tips to refine:
- Add some dry red wine or port wine.
- Add apple sauce and cranberries.
- Season with allspice, and let a cinnamon stick cook gently for 20 minutes…
I will show you how to prepare red cabbage in the following video:
1.4 Duck Sauce – How to prepare tasty Gravy
You will find a very informative article about duck sauce with a complete overview. Since we prepare our bird today as a whole, the bones which we use for the preparation of the sauce remain after the release.
For a great duck sauce you need the duck carcasses, apple and onion, veal stock and broth. Place the ingredients cold in a pot. You can add some ice cubes. Bring to the boil slowly and simmer for 2-4 hours.
The preparation I show you in the following videos as an example…
Tips for tying the sauce…
2. How to Prepare crispy Duck
How does the cook from the Chinese restaurant manage to bring the duck always so deliciously crispy on the plate?
The bought and already roasted duck pieces go into the deep fryer… that produces 100% crispy but the fine roast taste is reduced.
We are doing this classically today, have a look at the following tips:
- Pour the duck in the oven every 30 minutes with gravy.
- Carefully prick the duck’s skin with a thin fork.
- After pouring, season the skin with a little salt.
- Trigger the roasted duck and place the duck pieces on a baking tray, skin side up.
- Cook the duck pieces in the preheated grill until crispy shortly before serving.
The release of the duck roast + duck crispy prepare I show you in the video exemplarily…
2.1 Duck Tranch Video
2.2 Crispy Duck Video
3. Bavarian Duck Roast Recipe for the Oven
Following now the photo recipe with exact quantities. I wish you good luck!
- 1 pc duck ca. 2 kg
- 5 pc onions for stuffing
- 5 pc apple for stuffing
- 4 tbsp. majoram
- black pepper
- roasted stuffing of duck Roasted duck apple and onion
- crushed, cooked duck bones
- duck's intestines and neck
- roast set from baking tray and fat
- 1 l veal stock
- 1 l chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 pc potato raw to grate finely and tie the duck gravy and sauce
- black pepper
- 60 g cold butter
- aluminium foil
- 120 g butter
- 1 pc onions
- black pepper
- 400-500 ml milk
- 500 g pretzel cubes of pretzel sticks / lye sticks
- 4-5 pc eggs
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 500 g red cabbage finely chopped
- 100 ml vegetable broth
- 120 g apple puree
- 3 tbsp cowberries I like also cranberries
- 150 ml white wine or red wine
- 30 ml balsamico
- 1 pc onion
- 1 pc bay leaf put on the onion
- 1 pc clove stick through bay leaf in onion
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Buy the Duck fresh or defrost them, clean the duck: Pluck the feather remainders, place the innards like liver, stomach, heart, further neck and belly fat on a baking sheet. Wash the duck and put it on the baking tray.
- Prepare the filling: Peel the onion, cut into quarters and place in a large bowl. Wash the apples, cut them into quarters and add to the onions. Season the filling with salt, pepper and marjoram.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C hot air. Fill the duck and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the duck in the oven. The cooking time is 85 minutes. After 30 minutes pour over the duck with the roast fat, prick the legs slightly in the skin, after pouring gently add salt. Repeat the dripping with dripping at least 4 times during the entire cooking time.
- Take the roasted duck out of the oven. Place the fat and the offal in a saucepan.
- Allow the roast duck to cool slightly, then release the breast and legs. Place the duck pieces on a baking tray, skin up. Cut the carcass into small pieces and place in the pot with the filling.
- Place a few ice cubes in the pot, add the veal stock and broth. Bring the duck stock to the boil and let it steep for 2-4 hours at low heat. Pass the sauce through a fine sieve, bring to the boil and thicken with grated potatoes. Make the sauce ready to serve.In Bavaria we add marjoram to the sauce
- Cut the pretzel sticks into fine cubes. A diameter of 1 cm has proved its worth. Place the pretzel cubes in a large bowl.Heat about 30 grams of butter in a pot and let foam up, add the finely chopped onion cubes and sweat until colourless. Add the milk, bring to the boil and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.Pour the milk and onion mixture over the bread cubes and mix well. Let the bread mixture cool down a little, then fold in the eggs and let the mixture steep for 15-20 minutes.Heat the remaining butter, prepare aluminium foil sheets, finely chop the parsley and mix into the pretzel dumpling mixture, which is only warm to the touch. Flavour the dumpling again with nutmeg, salt and pepper.Brush the aluminium foil sheets generously with butter, then divide the dumpling mixture, beat the aluminium foil together and form even sausages - turning the ends together.Cook the napkins and bread dumplings in the aluminium foil either over steam, in a steam cooker or in lightly boiling water for 40 - 50 minutes, depending on the thickness.Unpack the bread dumplings, keep them warm or wrap them in foil to keep them fresh.Just before serving, cut the hot dumplings into oblique slices and prepare them for serving. It is also possible to fry the dumpling slices in butter.
- Cut or plane the red cabbage finely and place in a pot.
- Mix the finely chopped red cabbage with the stock, apple sauce, cranberries, wine, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper - knead well.
- The marinated red cabbage can be marinated overnight in a pot in the fridge or cooked immediately. Before boiling, add the onion, halved and larded with bay leaf and clove.
- Bring the red cabbage to the boil with the lid on, then simmer lightly for 1.5-2.5 hours with the lid on, if necessary add some vegetable stock.Season the red cabbage to taste with salt and pepper and keep ready for serving.
- Before serving, lightly salt the duck pieces under the grill at approx. 230 ° C until crispy.
- Heat the side dishes and arrange on warm plates. Drain the red cabbage on a sieve and serve. Add the dumpling slices.
- Mix the sauce with cold butter and put on the plate. Carve the crispy grilled duck pieces and put them on the plate. Serve quickly, enjoy your meal!
Cut the carrots into even pieces and sauté in butter. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and sugar. Add water and cook until al dente. Reduce the liquid. Finish with freshly chopped parsley.
4. Calories (kcal) and Nutritional values Roast Duck with Pretzel Dumplings and Red Cabbage
5. Other Recipes with DuckRoast Duck Recipe with Potatoe Dumplings
Recipe roasted duck
Duck with pineapple recipe with cooking video
Duck legs recipe baking oven
Recipe Chinese duck with cooking video
Duck breast in the oven mediterranean
Frying duck breast step by step guide
Salad with duck breast, glass noodles and mango. With cooking video instruction!
Duck breast with lamb's lettuce as starter with cooking video instruction
Sauce for duck and duck breast
Goose and duck vegetarian
Goose roast perfectly prepare recipe with 9 videos
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Bavarian Cuisine
- Christmas Recipes
- Duck Recipes
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Main Courses Recipes
- Meat Recipes
- Recipes with Cooking Videos from Thomas Sixt
OTHER LANGUAGES: German