Today I’ll show you my chef’s German Roast Beef – Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy named “Zwiebelrostbraten”. The Steak with Onions and Gravy is a classic dish of the South German and Austrian cuisine.
The roast beef is best served with an onion sauce. Cover the roasted meat with freshly fried onions.
In Germany, in the Swabian area around Stuttgart, Spätzel are common as a side dish. In Bavaria and Austria there are rather fried potatoes or parsley potatoes, rarely 🙁 ribbon noodles.
In this article I will show you my variation of onion roast and give you many tips on how to prepare it at home.
- 1. How do you prepare the Classic Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy?
- 2. Fried crispy Onion for Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy
- 3. Star Chef Tips to prepare German Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy
- 4. Recipe
- 5. German Spaetzle Dough Recipe for Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy
- 6. Nutritional values and calories
1. How do you prepare the Classic Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy?
Pre-order the meat from the butcher or butcher! For the roast roast you need hung meat. Roast beef should be matured for at least 4 weeks before the meat is cooked in the pan. Alternatively you can buy the meat vacuum-packed or buy it fresh and let it vacuum-pack and let it mature in the fridge for a few more days. You can also buy Dry Aged Beef directly.
Important: Cut the tendon of the roast meat several times so that the meat does not bulge when roasted!
2. Fried crispy Onion for Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy
I will show you how to fry the onions step by step.
3. Star Chef Tips to prepare German Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy
I have already described the important points for meat selection in point 1. I use a homemade veal stock and some port wine to prepare the sauce for roasting onion. I will show you how to make veal stock yourself in another article, you can also use a purchased veal stock. The port wine to the sauce is important, it replies the sweetness of the onion. This was revealed to me by a Swabian star chef as his kitchen secret.
Find here the Recipe for German Roast Beef – Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy named “Zwiebelrostbraten”. Since I have been living in Vienna for 20 years, I show in the recipe below the preparation of the Viennese style fried beef with onions in gravy with fried potatoes. The Swabian style fried beef with onions in gravy and the Allgäu style fried beef with onions in gravy is served with Spaetzle as a side dish. Therefore I have prepared a German Spaetzle recipe, find it bellow the Recipe.
- 6 pc small potatoes Alternatively prepare the recipe for Spaetzle
- caraway seed
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp majoram
- 2 pc onions
- 2 tbsp freshly sieved flour
- 1 tsp Paprika noble sweet
- 600 ml sunflower oil
- 2 slices roast beef steaks with a meat thickness of 1,5 cm
- 1 pc onion
- 1 tbsp clarified butter
- 1 tsp wheat flour
- 300 ml veal stock
- 20 ml Port wine
- 1 tsp cold butter
- Remove the meat from the fridge and place at room temperature.
- First cook the potatoes for the fried potatoes in their skin in salted water with a little caraway or prepare spaetzle.
- Peel one onion per person, plane finely, turn in flour with some paprika and fry until crispy. Notice my step by step photos in the article above. Place the fried onion rings on a baking tray with kitchen paper and season with salt.
- Cut half an onion per person into fine cubes. Pour off the potatoes, peel, cut into slices and fry in a pan with clarified butter.
- Prepare the meat: Lightly platter the meat, spread with some Dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the meat over high heat in a pan with some clarified butter for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and put them on a plate. Fry the onion cubes in the pan with the remaining clarified butter until light brown, dust with some flour in order to bind the sauce well later. Now add the port wine and the veal stock to the onions and bring to the boil.
- Place the meat in the sauce and, if necessary, cover to cook to the desired degree.
- Season the fried potatoes with salt, pepper, cumin, parsley and marjoram and serve on warm plates.
- Place the roast slices (steaks) on the plate with the fried potatoes and season the onion roast gravy with butter, salt and pepper. Arrange the sauce with the onion over the meat on the plate. Decorate the roast with fried onions and serve.
5. German Spaetzle Dough Recipe for Fried Beef with Onions in GravyRecipe for 2 Persons
- In a bowl, mix 250 g freshly sieved flour with 4 pinches of salt, 2 pinches of black pepper and 2 pinches of nutmeg and mix with 3 eggs and 80-100 ml lukewarm water.
- Beat the dough with a wooden spoon until it is thick and bubbles.
- Drive the spaetzle dough through a spaetzle grater directly into boiling salted water.
- If you can, scrape the noodles off the board.
- If the noodles swim in salt water on top, please remove immediately with the skimmer and quench in cold water.
- Mix the drained noodles with vegetable oil so that they do not stick together.
- Shortly before serving, I wave my spaetzle in some butter or nut butter and taste the spaetzle with salt, pepper and nutmeg.