Now I would like to introduce you to my rhubarb cake recipe. My fine juicy cake is a welcome pastry in the local coffee shop.
The exciting leafstalk vegetables harmonize with their fruity and sour aroma simply fantastic in cakes. The sweet meringue topping enhances the contrast.
The rhubarb sticks are available fresh seasonal in spring. TK also goes to the rest of the year – just with a little less palate fun.
One should not enjoy the sticks raw. But we don’t intend to. You can enjoy our fine pastries with pleasure.
Have fun baking and good luck!
1. Prepare the cake dough
Our dough is a simple mixing dough with the following ingredients:
- Vanilla sugar
- Baking Powder
- Lemon abrasion
2. Excursus – the palaver about the rhubarb
I also like to associate the plant with the expression “rhubarb-rhabarb” and thus refer to the so-called frequent speakers or nonsense talkers in Germany 🙂
But we don’t do that, we just have valuable information:
- Did you know that the rhubarb plant actually comes from China? In fact, it has only existed here in Germany for 150 years.
- The plant is healthy with vitamin C, iron, potassium etc. but also contains oxalic acid, which is a calcium predator.
- The oxalic acid is lower in the red-stalked varieties. This is an information for hobby gardeners. Usually only the red stems are offered in the supermarket.
- Oxalic acid is formed more strongly when the plant blossoms.
Season is before flowering: April – June. On St. John’s Day, 24 June, rhubarb is finished…Knows baking talent Thomas Sixt
3. Meringue on the cake or rather without…
Egg whites or meringue are a wonderful thing for cakes with slightly sour toppings/fillings such as gooseberry, red currant or even rhubarb.
It is important for beaten egg white that no fat gets into the bowl when the eggs are broken. This means that yolk and egg white must be separated cleanly.
A pinch of salt gives the beaten egg white stiffness and stability!Means cook Thomas Sixt
The nice thing is, a “over whipping” of beaten egg white is not possible. The beaten egg white is perfect if you can turn the bowl of beaten egg white in the air without anything falling out.
4. Rhubarb cake recipe
- 1 pc egg
- 3 pc egg yolk I use the egg yolk from the meringue here
- 130 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon abrasion I'll have an organic lemon.
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 140 g flour
- 100 g butter soft or slightly melted
- 5 bars rhubarb
- 3 pc egg white I use the egg yolk in the cake batter.
- 4 tbs fine sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven at 190°C hot air. Grease the 24 cm diameter cake tin with enough butter.
- Peel the rhubarb sticks with a peeler.
- Cut the rhubarb into cubes from the sticks.
- Cleanly separate the yolks from the egg white. Set aside the egg whites for the meringue in the refrigerator.Beat the beaten egg plus egg yolks, sugar, lemon grated and vanilla sugar for 4 minutes with a hand mixer or blender until foamy.
- Add baking powder, flour and butter to the mixture and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Pour the cake mixture into the baking tin.
- Spread the rhubarb cubes on the cake batter.
- Now the topped cake can be placed in the preheated oven.
- After the baking time of 40-45 minutes the cake can be taken out of the oven. To make sure that the dough is well baked, I prick the cake dough with a piece of wood (e.g. wooden shashlik skewer). If no liquid dough sticks, the cake is perfect. Otherwise the cake has to bake even longer.
- You can now let the cake cool down in variation 1 and serve it sprinkled with icing sugar or venture to variation 2 and add the meringue as a wonderful finish.
- Serve the sliced, simple cake with a rhubarb compote or with some colourful fruits. Mint is very nice as decoration.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the egg white with fine sugar plus a pinch of salt at the highest setting. Beat the mixture until it is firm to cut.
- Use a piping bag or bag with spout to spread the beaten egg white on the finished cake and put it back in the oven at top heat 230°C.
- Please stand in front of the stove! When the meringue has taken on a slight colouring, remove the cake from the oven quickly and let it cool down.
- Cut the cake and serve it nicely on a plate with garnish like fruits or compote. Bon appetit!