I present my red cabbage salad in this post. This cabbage salad is the raw food temptation par excellence 🙂
Red coleslaw has a side dish tradition with us. It goes well with a wide variety of dishes and harmonises excellently with meat and even fish. The raw vegetable salad is extremely healthy and has earned a place at your table from breakfast to dinner.
Top variations of this salad are on the table today. In addition to delicious marinades and dressings, I will show you various combinations and toppings. Cabbage salad as a main course –> let yourself be tempted!
Cooking success is guaranteed today, because in addition to the instructions there is a cooking video and a table with more than 12 variations. I wish you good luck and bon appétit!
- 1. Prepare red cabbage salad fresh, the cooking pro tips…
- 2. Prepare red cabbage salad in 3 top variations according to occasion
- 3. Recipe red cabbage salad
- 4. Calories and nutritional values
- 5. Ideas for more than 12 variations of red cabbage salad
- 6. What red cabbage salad goes with
- 7. More vegetable recipes
1. Prepare red cabbage salad fresh, the cooking pro tips…
Prepare yourself optimally for your herb event. My MINI summary is helpful:
- Buy the cabbage as fresh as possible.
- Cabbage belongs in the fridge, where it stays crisp for longer.
- Remember the basic ingredients: Vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper.
- Which oil: cold-pressed olive oil, sunflower oil, walnut oil…?
- An aged balsamic vinegar, at least 12 years old, should already be in your kitchen cupboard 🙂
- Play with colours and add more vitamins: Pomegranate, oranges, walnuts, cress….
- Decide on the type of chopping: I like to mix finely chopped and coarsely grated.
- You can add feta or caramelised goat cheese to the salad, as well as yoghurt!
I will discuss other ingredient variants later in a table.
It is essential to supplement with a cold-pressed oil – only the oil enables the absorption of the valuable cabbage nutrients.!Nutrition tip from chef Thomas Sixt
Be sure to knead the cabbage, as it only becomes soft when combined with salt!Preparation tip from chef Thomas Sixt
2. Prepare red cabbage salad in 3 top variations according to occasion
Fancy cooking for yourself? Here are some impressions of the different options to help you decide whether you want a side salad, starter or main course. At the same time we pay attention to type-appropriate nutrition 🙂
3. Recipe red cabbage salad
Here you will find the exact ingredients and step-by-step instructions with lots of photos. You can also serve the salad without oranges, pomegranate or… or… Be inspired and enjoy!
By the way, you can send me a cooking question directly via the comment function!
- 1-2 pc Oranges
- 1 pc lemon I use organic lemon
- 1 tbs balsamico I use 12 year old vinegar
- 4 pinches salt I use primal salt or Himalayan salt
- 3 pinches pepper black, ground
- 2 pinches Cayenne pepper I use optional
- 1 tbs oliv oil
- 250 g red cabbage I use organic vegetables
- 1/4 tsp sugar I use brown cane sugar
- 5 twigs mint
- 4-5 pc walnut kernels
- 1 tbs pomegranate seeds I use optional
- 1 pc goat's cheese roll Optional for cheese caramelised variant
- 2 tbs brown sugar Optional for cheese caramelised variant
- some cress Optional for cheese caramelised variant
- 1 pc sheep's cheese Optional for variant with sheep's cheese
- Prepare the ingredients, remove the outer leaves from the cabbage.
- Optionally, squeeze a lemon and prepare the juice for the marinade.
- Peel and fillet the oranges, collect the orange juice in a bowl. Set aside the orange fillets. The orange filleting cooking school shows you how to do this step by step.
- Mix the orange juice, optional lemon juice and balsamic vinegar with a little salt, pepper, sugar and cayenne pepper to make a sweet and sour marinade. Slowly stir in the olive oil.
- Cut the cabbage head in half with a sharp knife.
- Decide on a variant of the type of cut from the blue cabbage: finely grated, coarsely grated or cut into fine strips.
- Add the cut cabbage to the marinade in the bowl, add salt and knead with your hands. Important: Cabbage discolours the hands, you can put on gloves or the "fresh cabbage processed proof" – blue hands, proudly show!
- Let the cabbage salad stand for a few minutes. You can also serve the salad as a simple side salad.
- Cut the pomegranate in half and carefully pick out the seeds. You can also do this under water and then sieve out the seeds. The cooking school Preparing Pomegranate Seeds shows you how to do this step by step with a cooking video. Arrange the salad on a plate, decorate with pomegranate seeds, orange fillets and walnuts and serve.
- Remove the feta cheese from the packaging and break into pieces. Arrange the salad and serve decorated with orange fillets, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, pieces of feta cheese and cress.
- For the variation with goat's cheese, prepare a pan, sugar, goat's cheese roll and creme brulee burner.
- Cut the goat's cheese roll into slices, a thickness of 0.5-0.8 mm has proven to be best.
- Press the rounded goat's cheese slices into the sugar with the cut surface.
- Then place the goat's cheese slices in the pan with the sugar side up.
- Place the pan on a trivet or on the cooker because of the possible heat exposure downwards. Caramelise the sugar layer with the creme brulee burner.
- Allow the caramelised cheese to cool briefly and arrange the salad.
- Arrange the salad in heaps in the centre of the plate. Decorate with orange fillets and pomegranate seeds, sprinkle with walnuts and place the caramelised cheese slices on top.
4. Calories and nutritional values
5. Ideas for more than 12 variations of red cabbage salad
You can vary the classic blue cabbage salad in many ways and refine it individually. Here are my top 3 variations with photos and a table with even more ideas.:
|Vinegar||White wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar|
|Fruit juice||Pomegranate juice, orange juice, lemon juice, berry juice|
|Dairy products||Yoghurt, sour cream, soy yoghurt|
|Oil||Walnut oil, olive oil, linseed oil, other cold-pressed oils|
|Fresh fruit||Orange fillets, grated apple or pear, figs, pomegranate seeds|
|Vegetables||Fennel, celery, courgette, cucumber|
|Nuts & Seeds||Cashews, peanuts, walnuts, pine nuts|
|Dried fruit||Goji berries, sultanas, figs, dates|
6. What red cabbage salad goes with
The simple cabbage salad comes as a side salad to the mixed salad. I have already shown you the variations for a cabbage main course. We even know it as an accompaniment to Viennese schnitzel, at the salad buffet in general and it sometimes even has a place at the breakfast buffet.
7. More vegetable recipes
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Barbecue Recipes
- Country Kitchen Recipes
- Current and New Recipes
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes
- Low Carb Recipes
- Low Carb Salads Recipes
- Low Carb Vegetarian Recipes
- Recipes with Cooking Videos from Thomas Sixt
- Salad Starters Recipes
- Salads Recipes
- salads to grill
- Side Dishes Recipes
- Side Dishes Salad Recipes
- Starters & Appetizers
- Vegetarian Appetizers
- Vegetarian Main Dishes Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes