Today I show you my Ratatouille Recipe. This is a Provencal vegetable with courgettes, peppers and tomatoes.
The step by step photos accompany you cooking yourself. First there is a story how I got to know the vegetables. Here you will find interesting information on how star chefs prepare vegetables.
Have fun reading, I am very happy about comments…
1. Preparing Provencal Vegetables like a Star Chef
In 1992 I had no idea what a Provencal vegetable was. Although I knew the German and Greek standard porridge of overcooked peppers, eggplants and courgettes, my impressions were that many good vintages were far removed from a great vegetable of this kind.
In the last summer holidays of my school time I was able to get a trial trainee internship with Heinz Winkler in the residence in Aschau.
The impressions were fantastic: I cooked with the highest quality ingredients, I wrote about my first encounter with truffles while cooking potato soup.
In the good kitchen, peppers are only allowed on the plate without skin. I was able to learn that on the first day. The cut up paprika strips come with the shining skin upwards under the salamander (grill). Due to the temperature of approx. 300°C, the skin of the pepper casts bubbles in a very short time. Then the kitchen apprentice can peel off the skin.
Cut the courgettes precisely into small cubes: Cut the zucchini ends and then cut the zucchini into 4-5 mm thick slices using a slicer. The core house is added to the staff soup, only the green one, with some white zucchini meat may be added to the guest vegetables. The chef, Mr. Urchs, checked the cubes every 2 minutes. Not fast cut Bua, at the beginning only once exactly.
At this point the vegetables are still far away from the pan! After blanching in boiling salted water, the zucchini cubes are quickly added to the ice water. This is the only way to preserve the colour and the desired cooking degree. The peppers have already been lightly cooked during the grilling process and can also be cut into small cubes.
The tomatoes must give in to the brute moulting through the boiling water. After the poor love apples with shriveled skin lie in the ice water I can also peel them off. Star chefs have a split relationship to vegetable skin…
Then quarter the tomatoes, cut out the core and ask the saucier if the seeds and skins are allowed in the sauce. Nothing is wasted here… Cut the tomato meat still into small cubes, exactly and precisely, correctly!
Hours later, the colourful pepper cubes meet the zucchini cubes in the hot pan. Garlic is allowed to cook and as the only clove it gently gives off its flavour. Here with butter, no olive oil, that’s what the great master Heinz Winkler tells me in a conversation after the serving. The butter makes the vegetables pleasing on the palate…
The binding of the vegetables is created by the tomato cubes, which end up in the pan shortly before serving. Salt, pepper, a little sugar, some thyme. The latter was plucked from the stems by the cook in the afternoon.
Wow that smells… so the 3 star vegetable comes as a dumpling shaped on the plate. I couldn’t try it until the third day, when a plate came back to the kitchen. I had a great internship life there. No reward for star food on the palate and the memory of wonderful Ratatouille.
A few years later, at Le Moulin de Mougins, Roger Verge gave me the opportunity to taste the vegetables again. It tastes a bit different in France in hot weather, maybe it was the sun-ripened tomatoes…
2. Recipe Ratatouille Vegetables
From my story you can now derive many variants for the vegetable. Peppers can be peeled very well with the peeler. In the following I will show you a simple preparation, tips for the high-end version will spice up the instructions.
Now it goes into the kitchen, have fun…
- 1 Stück Zucchini
- 3 Stück Peppers mixed red, yellow, green
- 1/2 Stück eggplant Optional, I'd rather cook it without!
- 1 Stück glove of garlic I like to use young garlic
- 1 TL tomato puree or tomato cubes of 3 tomatoes
- 2 Zweige fresh thyme
- 1 TL Ghee
- 5 Prisen salt
- 5 Prisen black pepper
- 2 Prisen brown sugar
- Wash and dry the vegetables for the ratatouille.
- Remove the seeds from the peppers and cut the vegetables into cubes. Peel a little garlic and put it in a bowl. You can skin the peppers beforehand using a peeler or grill the pieces. Below the recipe you will find a link to Kochwiki Pepper Skinning...
- Sauté the vegetable cubes of yellow, red and green peppers and courgettes in a pan with the ghee. Add garlic and thyme to taste.
- Season the vegetables with salt, pepper and sugar, add the tomato paste and mix. Keep the vegetables warm next to the stove. Instead of tomato puree you can replace it with tomato concassée. Instructions on skinning tomatoes and making tomato cubes can be found in the recipe.
- Arrange the prepared Ratatouille vegetables on warm plates and serve.
3. Calories Ratatouille VegetablesIn the following you will find calories and nutritional values for the presented dish.
4. More matching Recipes and ArticlesPrepare tomato concassée, peel tomatoes and make tomato cubes How to peel peppers Poached egg with ratatouille vegetables The vegetable goes well with: roast lamb
saddle of lamb
knuckles of lamb
Steak au gratin
Beef Stew German Goulash