Prepare Rabbit Roast in two Variations, genuine Mallorquin, an original Spanish Recipe
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Preparing Rabbit Roast – What you need for itYou can buy Roger Rabbit as a whole. If your butcher doesn’t have a rabbit at the moment, you can buy frozen goods in the well-stocked supermarket. First I’ll introduce you to Jorge cooking it all on the grill. However, if you don’t have the luxury grill in the garden, you can also prepare the rabbit in the oven. I would dismantle the rabbit in the kitchen for the roaster. First release the hind legs and forelegs, then the back with kidneys and fillet, leaving the belly lobes on the back so that you can bind the rabbit roast to a kidney roast. Cut up the rabbit: Triggered and rounded back front left, forelegs upper middle, hind legs right with liver lower right.
2. Prepare Rabbits whole on the Grill or in the Oven
2.1 Jorge’s Variant: All on the GrillIn the original version from Mallorca, the rabbit stays whole and is only freed from the innards except for the liver, kidneys and heart before the grilling, even the head stays on. Washing and dry dabbing does no harm. Then comes the most important thing: The marinade!
- olive oil
- sea salt
- lemon abrasion
- finally honey with lemon juice
2.2 Oven Variant: Prepare Rabbit in the Roaster or on the Baking TrayThe variant for at home and in the oven goes as follows… Use a large roaster or a flat, high baking tray.
- Preheat oven at 190°C.
- Prepare the marinade as described in the instructions below.
- Massage the pieces of meat with the marinade.
- Place all the meat in the roaster or point it at the deep baking tray. Add half the herbs as a whole.
- Add well washed and halved triplets or new potatoes and season with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- Now put the preparation in the oven. Reduce the temperature to 180°C.
- After 30 minutes pour on with a little dry white wine.
- Rub all meat parts again and again with the stock, bind the remaining herbs to a brush.
- Depending on the oven, the cooking time is approx. 60 minutes.
- Sprinkle the meat with the broth every 15-20 minutes.
3. Which side Dishes go with it?In the simplest variant, this dish is only served with potatoes. These simply cook with the grill or in the oven. This is very practical. The simplest side dish of this dish is the halved potatoes. The glazed rabbit legs look magnificent! Of course there are other side dishes to go with it, try a Ratatouille or the typical vegetables of the Balearic Islands, Tumbet… Vegetable preparation of Mallorcan cuisine, known as tumbet. These are layered potatoes, courgettes, eggplants and tomato sauce. Aioli – the traditional garlic mayonnaise with rollado – is a popular dish in Spain. Rollado is the delicious cold tomato sauce, seen in the middle of the picture. Typical bread side dishes in Mallorcan cuisine are aioli, olives and rollado.
4. Rabbit Roast Recipe Mallorcan Style
Roast rabbit according to original Spanish recipe
A guide, discovered, photographed and written down by professional chef and food photographer Thomas Sixt.
|1||pc||Rabbit (Stall hare, disassemble as shown in article)|
|Salt (I use Ursalz or Himalayan salt)|
|1-3||pc||glove of garlic|
|1||bunch||thyme (I'm using fresh herbs here!)|
|250||ml||dry white win (Only for the oven version)|
Prepare the rabbit parts as described in the article or prepare the rabbit rabbit whole. You can use a roaster or a deep baking tray for the oven version or prepare it on your grill. In the oven, a temperature of 180°C hot air has proved to be the best, pay attention to a strong starting temperature when grilling in the open air and then let the roast cook to the end comfortably with medium grill embers.
Mix olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, lemon grater and fine garlic clove crushed with salt and rub generously into the roast.
Cut the potatoes in half and cook either on the baking tray or on the grill rack. Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.
Place the prepared rabbit roast in a roaster in the oven or alternatively on the grill rack. Put half of thyme and rosemary to the meat, so that the rabbit roast aromatizes excellently.
Use the remaining thyme and rosemary to brush with the remaining marinade. Alternatively, add white wine in the oven after 35 minutes and spread the gravy on the roast again and again.
Squeeze the lemon and mix it with the honey, spread the honey marinade on the roast towards the end of the cooking time and add it to the meat.
Trigger and arrange the roast according to taste, serve on warm plates.