OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Here I would like to present you my Potato Puree recipe. A light, airy puree that comes creamy on the plate.
My vision of a perfect mashed potato is very close to the recipe of Joël Robuchon, the famous French star chef, who ennobled the mashed potatoes into something deliciously special as a dish.
In Germany, mashed potatoes are an everyday meal, which is usually served in every quality as a side dish. A dish that is usually underestimated in this country! A well made puree made of fresh potatoes is in its elegant simplicity a fine taste experience, which demands the palate but not overtaxed.
The puree is quickly prepared. I’ll show you how it goes and you succeed perfectly!
By the way, I answer cooking questions via the comment function. For now already good success and a good appetite!
- 1. The right Potato Variety
- 2. Pureed Potatoes with or without Milk
- 3. Prepare Potato Puree surely
- 4. Simply refine Potato Puree
- 5. Puree with Vegetables is healthy
- 6. Season Potato Puree & Chef Tips
- 7. This Way to the Recipe
- 8. Calories and Nutritional Values
- 3. More Potato Recipes
1. The right Potato Variety
You can use any floury potato, I prefer to use this year’s potatoes from my own region.
I like to prepare my mashed potatoes with boiled potatoes.
You can also use boiled potatoes peeled after cooking. I haven’t tried this yet.
If you have experience, share it with me – I am curious.
2. Pureed Potatoes with or without Milk
There are several ways to prepare the delicious porridge from potatoes.
Cold cream or whipped cream for maximum airiness in the puree.
Cream is a Classic!
The kitchen textbook speaks of hot milk.
I have tried cold milk and found that the difference is marginal.
You can also prepare p-puree with cold milk!
2.3 Soymilk & Soycream
For vegetarian, vegan diets as well as lactose intolerance, soy milk or cream is a great substitute.
Personally, I liked to use the creamier soy cream for vegans, but that’s a matter of taste.
Since butter is normally also used in mashed potatoes, I recommend a vegan butter substitute or margarine.
VEGAN: Use Margarine!
You can also use super oil, even olive oil goes.
Who’d have thought? A tiramisu ingredient in the puree… it tastes delicious!
Italian version of the potato mash: use Marscarpone!
This is rich in creamy fats and makes the porridge wonderfully creamy.
You can use the potato water from the boiled potatoes to make the puree creamier.
3. Prepare Potato Puree surely
The great tubers can be made in many different ways – after cooking the potatoes! – to the puree or porridge are crushed.
It depends on how you want your mashed potatoes to turn out:
- hand mixer
- hand blender
- Thermomix, the miracle mixer
- passing sieve
- potato masher
- potato press
4. Simply refine Potato Puree
To skillfully refine your mashed potatoes, all you need to do is quickly reach into your spice cupboard or refrigerator.
The table shows you a few suitable variations.
|Herbs||parsley, chives, chervil, lovage, sprouts||finely chop the herbs and fold in|
|deep-fried Herbs||sage, smooth parsley, rosemary, rocket salad||fold in and decoration|
|Aromatics||fried garlic, garlic oil, herb oil, truffle oil, olive oil, potato straw, roasted onions||fold in and decoration|
|Spices||curry, saffron, turmeric, turmeric||fold in and decoration|
|Cheese||parmesan, pecorino, blue cheese||fold in and decoration|
5. Puree with Vegetables is healthy
The P-Pu is a jack-of-all-trades: you can add variety to your plate by combining it with vegetables.
|leek / spring onions||blanch and cut into strips; goes wonderfully with truffles|
|Brussels sprouts leaves||blanch and submit|
|savoy cabbage||blanch, cut into strips or lozenges and fold in|
|peas||cook briefly and fold in; also decorate with peas|
|soybeans / edame||cook briefly and fold in; also decorate with edame|
|porcini mushrooms or morels (cooked!!)||soak, possibly cut small; boil in soaking water and add mushrooms|
6. Season Potato Puree & Chef Tips
I am a sweet tooth and especially like the French creamy variant of mashed potatoes.
In France the potatoes are passed through a sieve. I like it fast and prefer to use the hand blender.
The hand mixer makes your puree fine and fluffy.
Some other Michelin-starred chefs nowadays also prepare a more chunky puree, i.e. a potato mashed potato.
For this variant I recommend a simple potato masher.
My recommended ingredients for your P-Pu:
- floury potatoes
- whipping cream
- cayenne pepper
7. This Way to the Recipe
Now we both want to go to action and prepare a delicious mashed potato. This goes smoothly and very relaxed.
ATTENTION a flat joke is coming!
Why aren’t potatoes able to get out and work? Because they’re couch potatoes 🙂
- 500 g floury potatoes
- 60 ml cream
- 60 g Butter
- some nutmeg grounded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper grounded
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- Peel the potatoes with a potato peeler.
- Remove unattractive brown spots and potato eyes and clean the tubers under water.
- Cut the potatoes into thick slices and boil in plenty of water with 1 teaspoon salt.
- After about 15 minutes of cooking, drain the potatoes. Add butter, cream, grated nutmeg and pepper.
- Mix the boiled potato slices plus ingredients with a hand mixer to a fine creamy puree.
- Season the mashed potatoes to taste and season if necessary.
- Add the desired herbs or vegetables to the puree and garnish (see above tables for variants). Bon appetit!
8. Calories and Nutritional Values
3. More Potato RecipesBaked Potatoes Recipe
Potato Gratin quick
Potato Fritter Recipe for German Reibekuchen
Potato Pancake Recipe for the simple Kitchen
Potato Fritter, Rösti, Potato Pancake, German Reibekuchen
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Current and New Recipes
- French Recipes
- Side Dishes Recipes
- Typical Side Dishes Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German