OTHER LANGUAGES: German
I’ll show you my Potato Fritter recipe for German Reibekuchen today. Many of us know potato fritter as a side dish or as a fasting dish with apple compote.
The potato pancakes have a lot of names in Germany: Erdäpfelpuffer, Reiberdatschi, Reibeplätzchen, Kartoffelpfannkuchen und Kartoffelplätzchen are common. I only found Potato pancakes and Crispy potato grater cakes as names in english. Its funny for me, “cake” in Germany is always sweet… Please write me about the comment function if you know a better designation.
You will find the most important questions answered below, plus many ideas for your own variations and step-by-step photos.
You can send me your cooking question via the comment function. Have fun reading and good luck!
1. Potao Fritters which Potatoes?
For potato pancakes you use a mainly waxy potato variety.
Known predominantly waxy varieties are:
- Queen Anne
I have already tried out the buffers with various varieties. With a little skill, the buffers will work with any type of potato. Crispier and crispier and therefore better with the variety mentioned above.
2. Potato Fritter as Side Dish
The insert buffer comes to my table in its simplest version.
You don’t need any flour, egg or oatmeal.
Simply grate the potatoes, season and fry immediately in the coated pan.
Wow recipe: less is more, please try!
The simple buffer tastes wonderful with fish and meat. It is also a wonderful variation for classic potato pancakes with apple compote, without onion flavour!
Pancake vegan: Prepare buffer without egg and do without onions and oat flakes. You get 100% potato flavor!
3. Crispy Potato Cake with Oat Flakes
Add oat flakes to your buffers when adding eggs and grated onions to the mixture.
The oat flakes bind the potato mixture and the onions, now it’s really a potato pancake.
You can prepare the pancakes in the pan and fry them with oil, then put them on baking paper in the oven.
The amount of fat is reduced because some fat always runs out and remains on the baking paper.
For those of you who enjoy experimenting, I would like to mention the preparation of potato pancakes in a waffle iron.
Put the potato mixture directly into the hot, greased waffle iron and fry the buffers with pattern.
The grater cake with oat flakes tastes best with sugar and cinnamon to me personally. Instead of oat flakes you can use starch or chickpea flour.
Crispy potato cake with oat flakes or chickpea flour are gluten-free varieties!
4. Crispy Potato Cake Recipe
Now we’re going into the kitchen… following many photos… Good success!
- 500 g potatoes Predominantly waxy potatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt I use Ursalz or Himalaya salt
- 4-6 pinches black pepper
- 4 pinches Cayenne pepper
- 4 pinches nutmeg
- 20 ml sunflower oil You can also use rapeseed oil!
- 100 g oat flakes You can also use chickpea flour!
- 1-2 pc onions
- 2 pc eggs
- 4-6 twigs thyme Deco! I like to use thyme, rosemary, parsley as well.
- 20 g Butter I'll wobble the buffers before serving in Ghee.
- 250 g apple compote
- powdered sugar
- 4 twigs mint
- Wash the potatoes in their skins, peel them and make them ready to grate. If you want to peel the potatoes for a long time before preparing them, put them in cold water to prevent them from turning brown.
- Process the potatoes with the coarse grater to even fibres. Now you could add the Otional Ingredients: Finely grate onion, add eggs, oat flakes or chickpea flour.
- Season the prepared mixture with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
- Mix the potato mixture. Preheat the oven to 180°C at the hot-air stage and heat a coated pan on the stove. Add a little oil to the pan.
- Place the potato mixture in the pan with your hands and bring into shape.
- You can use a dressing ring for a more beautiful shape of the potato pancakes.
- After a few minutes, turn the buffers over and fry them crispy on both sides.
- Then place the potato pancakes on a baking tray with baking paper and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve potato pancakes as a side dish or with sugar and cinnamon and apple compote or apple sauce.
2. German Reibekuchen Nutritional Values and Calories at a Glance
3. Other suitable RecipesDips and cold sauces:
Grill sauces for your next grill evening, 5 cold sauces quickly prepare
Cold sauces based on mayonnaise Make your own french fries
Potato gratin with more vegetables
Simple potato pancakes
Potato fritter and roesti, potato pancakes with chives sauce
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Bavarian Cuisine
- Side Dishes Recipes
- Typical Side Dishes Recipes
- Vegetarian Main Dishes Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German