OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my recipe to poach Fish. The fish poaching is in the combination with cod and chanterelles a fantastic way of preparation.
Hans Haas from the restaurant Tantris in Munich has prepared a similar dish with the St. Peter’s fish in this way and therefore I have the idea to combine chanterelles with fish.
This recipe is easy to prepare and very tight. The fish poach cooking video accompanies you during the preparation.
I wish you good luck!
- 1. Definition of Poaching – How to Poach Fish Fillet
- 2. Poach Fish Fillet in Broth
- 3. Can I poach frozen Fish?
- 4. Poaching with or without Vinegar
- 5. Temperature ranges for Fish preparation
- 6. Fish poached with Chanterelles
- 7. Cooking Video poached Cod
- 8. Recipe
- 9. More Fish and Seafood for Poaching
- 10. Calories Poached Fish with Chanterelles and Potatoes
1. Definition of Poaching – How to Poach Fish Fillet
In this preparation method, the prepared fish fillet, pieces of fish or the whole fish are prepared in a broth or sauce and cooked slowly, below the boiling point.
The temperature range for poaching is 85-95 °C.
Poach fish is pronounced “posch fish” but written without “s
2. Poach Fish Fillet in Broth
The pochier brew can be a broth or a salted water, seasoned with some aromatics.
The example of a simple poaching broth for fish:
- take a pot with water
- season with salt
- bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley stalks and thyme stalks and a little white wine
- and bring to the boil.
The prepared fish fillets or fillets are placed in the boiling broth, then the pot is pulled from the stove, the fish can cook under the boiling point, this is the meaning of poaching.
I have a second recipe for you, by the way: I poach the fish in a smoked tea with the fish in tomato sauce.
Which means poaching: Poaching means letting it simmer below the boiling point!
3. Can I poach frozen Fish?
The fish fillet must always be defrosted before poaching. Place the frozen fish fillet in cold water and let it thaw slowly for about 30 minutes to an hour.
Warm water is bad because the fish begins to cook in warm or even hot water and later decomposes more easily.
4. Poaching with or without Vinegar
The vinegar is not absolutely necessary as an addition during poaching, sometimes it is helpful.
The poached egg, for example, works better with vinegar, with fish I do without vinegar completely.
The preparation of ‘carp blue’ or ‘fish blue’ is carried out in a vinegar mixture. The vinegar causes the blue colouring of the fish skin. Personally, I don’t like the fish prepared in vinegar broth very much.
Poached fish, no matter whether it is cod, pike, cod or halibut, I prefer to prepare it in filet form without skin, in a suitable broth.
The poaching stock from broth and aromatics can then be served as a stock with the dish, or I prepare a fish sauce based on the stock.
5. Temperature ranges for Fish preparation
The example of poaching shows that the fish is cooking wonderfully at a low temperature.
Therefore I would like to give you a tip to try it out: Place a fish fillet in a buttered porcelain dish, season the fish with salt and pepper, cover the porcelain container with a cling film and place the fish in the preheated oven at 80°C hot air level.
Depending on the size of the fish fillet, the cooking time is 8-14 minutes. This is one of the most beautiful ways to prepare fish fillet, completely without roasts, smells and action with fat and pan.
You’ll be amazed how fine the fish tastes, prepared this way!
6. Fish poached with Chanterelles
In the Pfifferling time my recipe offers a welcome change to the usual and well-known cream mushrooms.
When shopping for chanterelles, please buy as clean a product as possible. Washing and cleaning the mushrooms is explained elsewhere in the Risotto and should be a good guide for you.
7. Cooking Video poached Cod
- 4 pc small potatoes
- 50 g Butter
- 1 pc onion
- 1 pc garlic
- 200 g chanterelles
- some sunflower oil
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- some parsley
- 2 pc cod fillets or cod fillets without skin
- black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in their skins in salted water until soft, peel and warm in a little butter, seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Sweat onion cubes and garlic in a pan with butter, add cleaned chanterelles cut to taste and sweat with them. If the pan gets too hot, add some sunflower oil.
- Now deglaze with white wine, add vegetable stock, add finely chopped parsley, bring to the boil. Refine the chanterelles stock with butter, season to taste with salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little chilli.
- Put the cod fillets seasoned with salt and pepper into the boiling chanterelles stock.
- Cover the pan with lid, remove from heat source and poach the cod for 4-6 minutes (simmer below boiling point).
- Arrange potatoes on warm plates, add cod and chanterelles with stock and serve quickly.
9. More Fish and Seafood for PoachingPoached fish with chanterelles can also be prepared with halibut fillet, salmon fillet and hake fillet. Shrimps and scallops go well with seafood.
10. Calories Poached Fish with Chanterelles and Potatoes
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Chanterelles Recipes
- Fish & Seafood
- Main Courses Recipes
- Recipes with Cooking Videos from Thomas Sixt
OTHER LANGUAGES: German