My plum cake is presented to you in this article. As a basis we use a sweet yeast dough, I have again summarized a lot of tips for you.
This classic of German cuisine is prepared quite quickly. The cake is perfect for a family celebration or a coffee klatch with friends. The preparation decelerates and lets you start the weekend with pleasure.
Here you will find a wonderful step by step guide. Have fun baking and good luck!
1. How to make the yeast dough
I see a first overview of the ingredients and their effects as a good introduction to kneading dough 🙂
- The basic yeast dough ingredients consist of flour, yeast, warm milk, sugar, butter and salt.
- The addition of yeast loosens the dough and creates volume.
- The milk increases the sticking effect of the dough.
- The soft or liquid butter makes the dough juicy and brings the buttery taste.
- The eggs finally make the dough stable.
I will explain the dough process briefly and concisely below:
- Please prepare all ingredients at room temperature one hour before.
- The yeast will then find the temperature necessary for fermentation.
- Sift the flour in advance and form a hollow in the bowl.
- The fresh yeast is best dissolved in the flour cooler with a part of the lukewarm milk.
- You should knead your dough until it bubbles or comes off the bowl.
- When you touch the dough, it should feel smooth.
- Leave your dough to rest in a warm place for 15-20 minutes at least twice.
Mix the yeast dough with warm ingredients, then let it rise in a warm place. That way the dough is sure to rise!Yeast dough preparation tip from Chef Thomas Sixt
2. Prepare plums
The following pictures will get you in the mood for the preparation…
Cut the plums into thin slices, the cake will be finer!Baking tip from cook Thomas Sixt
3. Recipe Plum Cake
- 200 g Flour Type 405 or 505 or glutenfree
- 30 g fresh yeast or 1 sachet dry yeast
- 30 g Sugar I take brown cane sugar
- 100 ml lukewarm milk
- 40 g soft butter
- 1 Stück Egg medium size
- 1 Prise Salt
- 500 g Plums I have used organic plums!
- 1 EL Apricot jam
- 1 EL Rum
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and form a hollow. Pour the lukewarm milk into the hollow and crumble the yeast into it. Add the softened butter on the side.
- Add the eggs, sugar and salt and mix.
- Knead the dough ingredients with a mixer and dough hook.
- Stir until a smooth dough is formed, which beats bubbles and comes away easily from the bowl wall.
- Let the dough rise for a good 15-45 minutes covered with a cloth in a warm place until the dough has visibly increased.
- Further process the risen yeast dough in the bakery
- Brush the desired cake tin with warm butter. Preheat the oven with 175-200° C.
- Wash the plums and rub dry.
- Cut the plums in half and remove the core.
- Cut the plum halves into thin slices.
- Pour in the yeast dough in the desired height and cover with the plum wedges.
- Cover the cake generously with the plum wedges. Mix rum with apricot jam.
- Bake the cake at 175 °C for about 35-40 minutes, then remove from the oven and spread with the prepared jam.
- Cut the cake into the desired pieces and serve with freshly whipped cream.
Glazing with marmalade conjures up a wonderful shine on the cake.