Today, my recipe for pickled fried Herrings with fried potatoes will be on the side and on your plate. A quick dish and a feel-good meal for northern lights and other fish lovers.
Sour pickled and fried herring is especially popular as a rustic meal for lunch and also in the evening. After a long walk on the beach with a stiff breeze, this dish is the crowning conclusion of the day for me. For me it has something of homeliness and wanderlust at the same time.
Attention: We do not put the fried fish in the pan ourselves, but we used a finished, super finely marinated fried fish from the Plotz company. Honestly written: I could never and never ever do it better myself… This is what makes our preparation so fast 😉
Then we’ll have a look into our kitchen and cook what makes us full and happy! Have fun and good luck.
1. Definition „pickled fried herring”
For the preparation of fried herrings, the whole fish is scaled and gutted. The fresh, “green herrings” are then seasoned with salt and pepper, turned in flour (technical term: “floury”), then fried in a pan with oil until brown.
After frying and cooling, the fried fish are placed in a sourly sweet marinade consisting of vinegar, water, sugar, onion rings, bay leaves and spices (e.g. mustard and peppercorns, allspice).
By placing them in the acetic marinade, the small, thin bones partially dissolve. The bone-rich fish can then be eaten with the small bones.
Non-preserved, self-pickled fried herrings can be kept refrigerated for up to two weeks.
Eating fried green herring is not so much fun. Numerous mini-bones make it difficult to enjoy. The pickled, fried herring solves this problem.Says Chef Thomas Sixt
2. Side dishes ideas
Typical side dishes are fried potatoes, jacket potatoes and rösti. In the recipe below I show you a colorful and fine variation of fried potatoes with tomato cubes and onion strips. More suggestions below:
My recommendation are the fried potatoes in the colorful variation. This never gets boring, pleases the eye and is simply exciting in taste. The working time is kept within limits and the dish is simply fun!Says chef Thomas Sixt about his favorite Side Dish
3. Serving and decoration tips
Always take care of the side dishes first and finish cooking them. Then keep them warm and let the herring come out of the pool.
The wet fish should be drained on a sieve and then on kitchen paper. This way you can arrange the fish on your plate without leaking marinade.
I always fillet the fish first and then put the fillets on the plate. This is somehow nicer and a cook has the preparation in his blood 🙂
For the decoration the following ingredients have proven to be effective:
- Apple cubes
- Cubes of a fresh cucumber
- Dice a pickled cucumber
- Dill and chives
- Parsley and lovage
I personally like cucumber cubes, apple cubes and dill. That is so wonderfully harmonious. The fish already has enough acidity and the additions refresh the dish.Says chef Thomas Sixt about the decoration
4. Recipe fried Herring with fried potatoes
Read this far? Then you are super prepared and can go into the kitchen with great self-confidence. Wish you good luck!
- 300 g potatoes I like to use this year's young potatoes
- 20 ml sunflower oil You can also use rapeseed oil!
- 1-2 pc red onion
- 1/4 tsp salt I use primal salt or Himalaya salt
- 4-6 pinches pepper black, ground
- 1 tsp marjoram I also like to use thyme, rosemary, parsley
- 4 pinches cayenne pepper
- 20 g butter I like to use ghee as well
- 1/4 bunch parsley
- 2 pc tomatoes
- 2 pc fried herring
- 1/4 pc cucumber
- 1/4 bunch dill
- Wash the potatoes with skin, then boil them in salted water until soft, drain and peel. Optionally you can put some parsley stems and some caraway seeds in the cooking water.
- After peeling, cut the potatoes into 3-4 mm slices. I always let the potatoes cool down a little for this.
- Fry the potato slices on all sides in a coated pan with the oil at high heat.
- Cut the onion generously at the top and at the root, then halve and peel. Cut the onion halves into strips.
- Turn the potato slices in the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the sliced onion strips in the pan and fry them at high temperature with the potato slices. Onions caramelize slightly in this way and create a wonderful sweetish aroma.
- Wash the tomatoes, cut into quarters and cut out the core. Fillet the skin or leave it on the flesh. Add tomato pieces whole or cut into strips to the potatoes. Refine the fried potatoes with salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and marjoram, optionally with freshly cut parsley and the butter. Keep warm until serving.
- Remove the fried herrings from the marinade and let them drip off on kitchen paper. Carefully remove the fillets and place them on the plate with the skin side facing upwards.
- Add the fried potatoes and serve quickly. Bon appetit!