I would now like to introduce you to my parsnip vegetable recipe. You can quickly bring a fine vegetable as a side dish or main ingredient to the table with my recipe.
Parsnips usually appear in German households as an ingredient in vegetable soup. However, cooks have long been giving these spicy tubers much more prominence on the plate. Perhaps you have already tried a parsnip puree?
So it’s no surprise that this root vegetable was even named Vegetable of the Year in Germany in 2011/2012. Parsnips have a pleasantly spicy taste and we love that!
My step-by-step preparation and my cooking video will help you with the preparation. Good luck!
1. Prepare parsnips ingeniously
The parsnip is a very robust root. To make sure that nothing goes wrong, here are my tips for you:
- Buy parsnips fresh – beware of soft tubers in the supermarket – please take the crunchy fresh roots!
- Parsnips are similar to parsley roots, but they are milder in flavour.
- It is a root vegetable, i.e. soil can be present. So peel and wash them. Or was it the other way round?
- To peel the beetroot, you need a medium-sized vegetable or fruit knife.
- I will show you how to peel and cut further down in this article.
- For seasoning you need salt, pepper, nutmeg.
- Butter or ghee is a good choice, you can also use olive oil!
Parsnips should not be confused with parsley root. They are very similar, but parsnips have a milder taste. 🙂Shopping tip from chef Thomas Sixt
You can also prepare parsnips in the oven. Peel the vegetables and cut them into quarters lengthwise. Cover a baking tray with baking paper, olive oil, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Oven temperature 180° C – cooking time approx. 12 minutes.Preparation tip from chef Thomas Sixt
2. Parsnip recipe
For your perfect vegetable dish, you’ll find the exact ingredients and step-by-step instructions with lots of photos here.
By the way, you can send me a cooking question directly via the comment function!
- 250 g parsnips I use organic parsnips
- 2 tbs water
- 15-30 g butter I like to use ghee
- 1/4 tsp salt I use primal salt or Himalayan salt
- 4-6 pinches pepper black, ground
- 4 pinches nutmeg
- 1 tsp thyme I also use parsley or lovage
- Get the ingredients ready, it takes a few parsnips for a dish.
- Peel the parsnip root and slice it diagonally. When cutting, please pay attention to the size: Please cut the same size, so that the vegetables cook evenly.
- Put the sliced root vegetables in the pot, add a little water, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cook with the lid on. In the video, I show you how to prepare vegetables in a special vegetable pot with temperature measurement on the lid. I cook the vegetables in a temperature range of 90-140°C.
- The vegetables will be cooked al dente after 6-10 minutes. Remove the lid, allow the liquid to boil down briefly and refine with herbs. You can now season your vegetables again with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Arrange the vegetables and serve. Enjoy your meal!
3.Calories and nutritional values parsnip vegetables
4. Seasoning variants
You can vary the classic vegetables in many different ways and refine them individually. Here you will find my tips and ideas:
|With butter or ghee or olive oil||Try different oil ingredients, this influences the taste.|
|With cream or soy cream||You can add whipped cream to the soup.|
|Walnuts||Add fresh or caramelised walnuts or grated walnuts.|
|Almonds||Serve with toasted almonds or with grated almonds + butter.|
|Cashew||Add chopped or whole cashews.|
|Pumpkin seeds||Add the roasted pumpkin seeds to the vegetables at the end.|
|Pumpkin seed oil||Drizzle a little pumpkin seed oil over the vegetables.|
|Sesame||Sprinkle on at the end, light and dark sesame seeds look and taste great!|
|Herbs||Thyme, parsley, dill, cress, sprouts.|
|Herb chips||Fried parsley leaves or basil leaves.|
|Turmeric||Gently season with turmeric.|
|Curry||Season exotically with curry, butter and sugar.|
|Red pepper||Sprinkle on a little red pepper.|
5. What parsnip vegetables go with
As a classic side dish, this vegetable goes well with great fish and meat dishes or even vegetarian: