Today I present you my recipe Ossobuco. The braised veal slices with vegetables are a classic Italian dish of the Milanese region, Lombardy.
Gremolata, a mixture of lemon peel and parsley, is an important component of the finely braised Ossobuco dish.
Well, let yourself be seduced in Italian and this time NOT with pizza and amore.
Have fun braising and good luck! If you like, you can spread the word and share on the usual social media channels.
1. What does a successful Ossobuco need? – Shopping List Ossobuco
A tender and original Ossubuco with Gremolata needs these ingredients from the butcher (preferably organic) and the supermarket:
- 4 thick slices of veal leg
- 1 stick of celery perennials
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 onion (you only need half an onion in the dish)
- tomato puree
- dry white wine
- flour (you may have flour in your house anyway)
- sugar, pepper and salt (that too, right?)
- 1 organic lemon
- smooth fresh parsley
- veal stock – my great recipe for you to make your own with veal bones, onions, red wine and spices
2. Stew Ossobuco properly
The meat: Wash and dry the calf leg slices, season with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
You can now fry the flour-stained leg slices vigorously on both sides in a roaster for a short time. Remove the leg slices from the roaster and sauté the onion in melted butter until translucent.
Now cut the celery and carrot into small cubes. Add these to the onion cubes.
Thin the tomato puree with a tablespoon of hot water. Add the dry white wine to the vegetables. When the wine is almost overcooked, you can add the broth or veal stock and the diluted tomato paste.
For braising, marry the meat with the vegetables in the roaster.
Use a closed roaster that immediately goes into the oven. There our Ossobuco stews nearly 2 hours with closed cover with middle heat around 200° C.
Now you’ve got a little time for a good book or a phone call to your mama 😉
3. Preparation of the Gremolata
Towards the end of the stewing time you can take care of the Gremolata.
- Grate half a lemon.
- Finely chop 1-2 stems of smooth parsley.
- Mix both in a bowl.
4. Finalmente – the Happy End
Put the Gremolata in the oven for the last 5 minutes of the cooking time to the Ossobuco. Right, close the roaster again.
5. Recipe Ossobuco
- 4 slices calf leg slices
- 1/2 pc onion
- 1 pc carrot
- 1 pc cellery celery sticks or celeriac tubers
- 2 tbs clarified butter or butter
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 500 ml veal stock optional beef broth
- some salt
- some pepper
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 2 tbs Butter
- 1 pc lemon
- 4 stems smooth parsley
- Have the veal shank slices prepared by the butcher. Wash and dry the meat slices and dust with flour. Cut the peeled onions into fine cubes. Wash the vegetables, peel the celery and root and chop into small pieces. Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- Season the veal knuckle slices with salt and pepper and fry them directly in the roaster with the clarified butter and let them take on colour. Remove the meat slices from the roaster and put them on a plate.
- Sweat the onion cubes in the pan with a little butter and a little sugar. At the same time mix the tomato paste with a tablespoon of hot water and add to the mixture. Add the prepared, diced vegetables, fry lightly and extinguish with the white wine and reduce. Then add the veal stock or meat stock.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Marry the veal knuckle slices with the vegetable ragout and cook in the roaster with lid over medium heat for 100-120 minutes in the oven.
- Check the cooking degree of the veal knuckle slices, if necessary continue stewing until tender and soft.
- Prepare the Gremolata: Mix the lemon zest and the chopped parsley. Add the Gremolata to the Ossobuco in the oven for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Arrange the veal knuckles on preheated plates, season the sauce again with salt, pepper and butter and add to the veal knuckle slices. As a side dish you can use different vegetables like zucchini and pasta.