OTHER LANGUAGES: German
My Calamari Fritti Recipe I show you today, there is now octopus delicious step by step to prepare yourself.
I use mini octopus for Calamari fritti, always buy them frozen, then let them thaw slowly in cold water.
For frying the calamari there are two variants for me:
- Turn the calamari in flour, then deep-fry it.
- Turn the calamari in flour and dip into the batter, then fry.
As a side dish, I prepare an olive oil potato salad, which is very similar to our vinegar-oil potato salad, but is additionally refined with fresh marjoram.
When all the ingredients are prepared, this dish is on the table and on the plate in 30 minutes. I took all the pictures this time with the iPhone®.
I would be happy if you try this dish and share it with your friends on Facebook.
- 1. Prepare a delicious Calamari Fritti
- 2. Make your own Olive Oil Potato Salad
- 3. Boil and peel Potatoes
- 4. Cut Potatoes, season, marinate for Potato Salad
- 5. Add red Onions to the Potato Salad
- 6. Hints Potato Salad with Olive Oil and Onions
- 7. Prepare Calamari Fritti
- 8. Turn Octopus before frying or roasting in Flour
- 8. Flour Calamari well to bind Moisture
- 9. Prepare the Batter for Frying
- 10. Fry Calamarian
- 11. Finalize Octopus Recipe and Arrange Calamari Fritti, the last Tips
- 12. Recipe Calamari Fritti with Olive Oil Potato Salad
- 13. Calories (kcal) Calamari Fritti with Olive Oil Potato Salad
1. Prepare a delicious Calamari Fritti
As already described in the introduction, the best way to buy frozen mini octopus is to thaw it in plenty of cold water. Defrosting in plenty of cold water takes about 30 minutes. Warm or even hot water is not optimal because the delicate mini octopus quickly loses its quality.
2. Make your own Olive Oil Potato Salad
The olive oil potato salad is a simple and fast potato salad. Please cook the potatoes first and then peel them thoroughly. For the potato salad I use shape-retaining, waxy potatoes – also called “fatty” potatoes and potato varieties – or mainly waxy potato varieties such as: Agria, Bamberger Hörnchen, Hansa, Linda, Marabel, Sieglinde, Ditta, Cilena, Nicola, Selma. The floury potatoes are better for mashed potatoes and potato dough.
3. Boil and peel Potatoes
4. Cut Potatoes, season, marinate for Potato Salad
Cut the potatoes into slices, add salt, pepper, sugar, white wine vinegar, olive oil and fresh marjoram.
5. Add red Onions to the Potato Salad
Since I eat the potato salad right away and would like to have it a little bit resch I add red onions.
6. Hints Potato Salad with Olive Oil and Onions
The potato salad and onion thing can be found in my cookery blog with every potato salad recipe. The potato salad with onions must be eaten immediately. The onion begins to ferment relatively quickly, for onions in potato salad there are only three variants:
- Just before serving, cut the onions fresh and mix them with the potato salad. Eat everything promptly – the shelf life of the potato salad is limited (even if stored in a cool place).
- Blanch the onion cubes briefly, then mix into the salad cooled down – keep for approx. one day when chilled.
- Marinate the onion cubes in some vinegar and sugar for approx. 10 minutes and then mix in without the marinade – keep cool for approx. one day.
7. Prepare Calamari Fritti
The thawed mini octopuses have dripped off nicely in the meantime. I put some flour in a bowl and put the octopuses in the flour. Don’t be afraid, I cheated some more shrimps!
8. Turn Octopus before frying or roasting in Flour
8. Flour Calamari well to bind Moisture
The flour should evenly coat the mini octopus, but please roll it thoroughly in the flour with your hands.
9. Prepare the Batter for Frying
Now place the floured octopus on an extra plate and add an egg, salt, pepper and some milk to the remaining flour.
A creamy, not too thick batter is mixed with a whisk.
10. Fry Calamarian
Next, everything is prepared for frying. Vegetable fat in a wok, flour octopus, pastry.
Now either pour the mini octopus directly from the flour into the hot fat or dip it first into the prepared batter. Calamari fritti in two variations!
Note that each mini octopus is beautifully covered with baking dough. Only then will the calamari fritti become nice and even.
Next, place the mini octopus covered with batter in the hot fat and fry it until golden brown. Finest calamari fritti!
Place the calamari fritti on a baking tray and bake in the oven at 180°C until warm and crispy.
11. Finalize Octopus Recipe and Arrange Calamari Fritti, the last Tips
Now taste the olive oil potato salad with salt and pepper and arrange the salad in a bowl. Serve a home made mayonnaise with fried and baked octopus and add lime or lemon. This could look like this:
12. Recipe Calamari Fritti with Olive Oil Potato Salad
After the step by step instruction with picture follows now the detail recipe with all quantity information. I wish you all the best!
- 350 g potatoes raw, peeled
- 30-50 ml white wine vinegar
- 40 ml oliv oil
- 1 TL salt
- 4 pinch pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- some majoram fresh torn
- 1 pc red onion
- 20 pc mini-octopus
- 100 g flour
- 1 pc egg
- some milk
- some salt
- some paprika pepper
- 700 g vegetable fat for frying
- 1 pc lemon or lime
- 6 tbs Mayonnaise
- some cress or radish sprouts
- some Mixed leaf salad to dip
- Wash the potatoes, boil in salted water, peel, slice and marinate with the remaining ingredients. Add the onion cut into strips. Arrange potato salad with olive oil in a bowl.
- Defrost mini octopus in cold water, drain on a sieve. Then flour in a bowl. Then store the calamari in between and prepare a batter with the remaining flour by adding egg, spices and milk.
- Deep fry the octopus in hot vegetable fat or dip it thoroughly into the batter and then bake it until golden brown. Then bake in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes until preheated, warm and crispy.
- Prepare mayonnaise, leaf salad and decoration, season potato salad again, arrange everything and serve quickly.
13. Calories (kcal) Calamari Fritti with Olive Oil Potato Salad
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Fish & Seafood
- Italian Fish Recipes
- Main Courses Recipes
- Mediterranean Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German