OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Making napkin dumplings yourself, this article with my Napkin Dumpling recipe shows you a great overview of how to prepare the delicious dumplings.
Serviettenknödel is a generic term, here are the best known recipe variations clearly summarized:
- Preparing napkin dumplings with rolls
- Recipe Bohemian yeast dumplings with yeast dough
- Recipe pretzel dumplings after Alfons Schuhbeck from the year 1993
In the cooking video “Preparing Napkin Dumplings” you can follow everything step by step.
Napkin dumplings in the foil … in the aluminium foil … or prepare it in the cloth napkin? You will find an overview of all variants and advantages here!
I wish you good luck! I am happy if you share this article on Facebook with your friends.
- 1. Make your own Napkin Dumplings
- 2. Prepare Napkin Dumplings in the Cling Film
- 3. Preparing Napkin Dumplings in Aluminium Foil
- 4. Serviette Dumpling in Tea Towel, Cloth Napkin, Linen Towel Cooking
- 5. Cooking time of Napkin Dumplings
- 6. Brezen dumpling Recipe original from Bavaria
- 7. The original Bohemian Dumpling
- 8. Cooking Video Preparing Napkin Dumpling
- 9. Recipe Napkin Dumpling
- 10. Calories Napkin Dumplings, the nutritional Values
1. Make your own Napkin Dumplings
You can make your chef napkin dumplings absolutely by yourself. How to get the dumplings in star quality on the table, stress-free, that’s what this article is about. First of all I would like to deal with the possibilities of wrapping and explain to you the different variants with cling film, aluminium foil and traditionally with cloth napkin including advantages and disadvantages.
2. Prepare Napkin Dumplings in the Cling Film
Wrap the ready-prepared dumpling mass in cling film, close the ends tightly and, if necessary, tie with a string. The dumplings are placed in boiling water or cooked in steam over boiling water. It is important that you wrap the dumpling sausage with foil so that the dumpling does not burst when cooking!
3. Preparing Napkin Dumplings in Aluminium Foil
This is my preferred way of preparation, as I learned from Alfons Schuhbeck: The dumpling mass is wrapped in buttered aluminium foil. Always use the “matt” side of the aluminium foil for food. Don’t spare the butter, heat it up briefly and put a lot of butter on the aluminium foil. Then place the dumpling mixture on the aluminium foil, making a long sausage. Then beat the aluminium foil over it, wrap the dumpling well and close the ends of the aluminium foil accordingly. I’ll show you the preparation in the cooking video below! You can cook the dumpling in the aluminium foil in boiling water or over boiling water in steam or in the steam cooker.
Prepared in the aluminium foil you bring your dumplings in star quality on the plate
Advantages dumplings in the aluminum foil prepare at a glance:
- If you prepare your bread dumplings or pretzel dumplings in the foil, there is no need to prepare the cloth and wash it afterwards.
- You can leave the dumpling mass more liquid or prepare it with more egg. This means that the dumpling ends up fluffier and airier on the plate.
- The dumpling does not dilute when prepared in the aluminium foil at the edge. Remains tasty and delicious!
Important: Remove cooked dumplings from aluminium foil and repack them for storage or freezing in transparent film.
4. Serviette Dumpling in Tea Towel, Cloth Napkin, Linen Towel Cooking
This is the traditional way of preparation: you need a clean towel, the towel should be boiled in boiling water beforehand and soaked several times to remove detergent residues and softener aromas. Wrap the dumpling in the cloth and tie the ends with a string. The dumpling is then placed in boiling salted water and cooked. I make my dumplings rarely in the cloth, if only the Bohemian dumplings (with yeast dough), bread dumplings can stick badly to the cloth. I think the preparation in the foil is more contemporary and practical.
5. Cooking time of Napkin Dumplings
The cooking time of the wrapped dumplings is 30-45 minutes, depending on the thickness. If you prepare the dumplings floating in water (in tea towel or cloth) please salt the water well. When preparing in the foil, it is not necessary to salt the cooking water or even the steam water. Cooking over boiling water in steam is a good alternative, but does not reduce the cooking time. You can also steam the dumplings in a steam cooker at 100°C, the Thermomix offers a similar possibility with the steam attachment.
Important: Place the dumplings in the boiling water, then let them gently soak in the water!
6. Brezen dumpling Recipe original from Bavaria
The preparation of the pretzel dumplings is like the bread dumpling shown above. Instead of bread rolls cubes of pretzel sticks are used. For the recipe I like to use the original recipe from Alfons Schuhbeck, learned in 1993 during my apprenticeship in Waging am See. Two large onions are finely diced and sweated for 10 minutes in a pack of colourless butter. Add a litre of milk, bring to the boil and season with salt, pepper (white), nutmeg. Pour the milk and onion mixture over 1 kg of pretzel stick cubes and leave to stand for 15 minutes. Beat ten eggs and mix, add to the dumpling mixture and mix. After another 15 minutes, add a good handful of finely chopped parsley to the dumpling mixture and season to taste again. Wrap the pretzel dumpling in buttered aluminium foil and cook in steam for 45 minutes. Then unwrap the dumplings from the aluminium foil and wrap them freshly in cling film. The dumplings were always freshly prepared in the morning for the lunch service and in the afternoon for the evening service and not cold. Only a warm dumpling is beautifully fluffy and unbeatable in taste. The dumplings at Alfons Schuhbeck were then cut into oblique slices and served fried in butter on both sides.
7. The original Bohemian Dumpling
Bohemian dumplings are prepared with yeast dough: Place one kilogram of flour in a mixing bowl, add three eggs, salt and pepper. Next, mix 300 ml lukewarm milk with 1/2 teaspoon sugar and a packet of yeast and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Then add the milk to the flour and knead a smooth dough with the kneading hooks of the mixer. Let the dough rise in a warm place (oven 30 °C) for at least one hour. Wrap the yeast dough in foil or a prepared cloth and cook in a water bath for 30 minutes. Cut the yeast dumplings into slices with a knife or thread.
8. Cooking Video Preparing Napkin Dumpling
9. Recipe Napkin Dumpling
- aluminium foil
- 120 g Butter
- 1 pc onion finely diced
- 500 ml milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- some nutmeg
- 500 g bread cubes
- 4-5 pc eggs
- some parsley
- Heat about 30 grams butter in a pot, add onion cubes and sweat until colourless. Add the milk, bring to the boil and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the milk and onion mixture over the bread cubes and mix well. Let the bread mixture cool down a little, then fold in the eggs and let the mixture steep for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the remaining butter, prepare aluminium foil sheets, finely chop the parsley and mix into the hand-warm dumpling mixture. Flavour with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Brush the aluminium foil with butter generously, then divide the bread mass, beat the aluminium foil together and form even sausages - turning the ends together.
- Cook the napkins and bread dumplings in aluminium foil either over steam, in a steam cooker or in lightly boiling water for 40 - 50 minutes, depending on the thickness.
- Unpack the bread dumplings, either warm them up immediately or wrap them in a film to keep them fresh.
- Just before serving, cut the hot dumplings into oblique slices and prepare them for serving. It is also possible to fry slices of dumplings in butter.
10. Calories Napkin Dumplings, the nutritional Values
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Recipes with Cooking Videos from Thomas Sixt
- Typical Side Dishes Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German