OTHER LANGUAGES: German
In this article I introduce you to my recipe for Meatballs. Besides the classic recipe you will find many tips from Oma´s kitchen for original German Frikadellen.
Additionally I answer the most important questions around side dishes, preparation in the oven, with and without breadcrumbs…
Meatballs, roast meatballs, meatloafs, burger, meat cakes or minced loafs are similar preparations.
They are always fried flat dumplings made from minced meat, refined regionally with different ingredients, shaped and fried.
Read more, because here you will find many good ideas for perfect meatballs.
1. Grandma’s Meatballs are a classic Recipe
The typical German minced meat dish in its simplest variant:
In addition to mixed minced meat from half beef – half pork and soaked rolls, egg, mustard, salt and pepper are added to the minced meat mixture.
As a rule, meatballs also contain onions and garlic. Important! Sweat the latter ingredients better so that the ingredients combine well with the minced meat mixture.
The addition of herbs is an invention of modern times. My step-grandmother with Prussian roots let herself be persuaded after many years times by the neighbour to supplement parsley, lovage, marjoram or thyme.
She wasn’t really happy with all the herbs. In the end, the family council agreed on parsley.
Less herbs means more meat taste. If you prefer southern German, have a look at my recipe for Bavarian meatballs.
Today you can have a meatball as snack: A schnapps, a beer, a meatball… the men’s dish is eaten out of the hand…
2. Meatballs with Breadcrumbs
When you add breadcrumbs to the minced meat mixture, the structure of the loaf becomes very firm.
I always fry a trial loaf. If you have left too much milk on the rolls, the minced meat mass may be too soft.
Then you can take countermeasures with very little breadcrumbs and bind the mass a little.
Beware of breadcrumbs in the minced meat mass… the crumbs will attract after a few minutes and your minced meat mass will be very firm and dry!
Breading the meatballs before roasting is popular. Turn the formed loaves in breadcrumbs, then fry.
Here caution is advised, if the heat is too high, black briquette meatballs come on the plate.
The breaded meatball is technically a Berliner Bulette. But we don’t want to see this religiously, but rather cook deliciously!
3. Meatballs without Rolls
The bread roll soaked in water 🙁 or milk or cream or the bread cubes makes the plant cubes soft, juicy and a little fluffy.
Surely the recipe comes from times of need, but it still has its meaning.
The bread roll in the minced meat filling finally makes the difference to Burger Patties, the classic Burger meatball.
Without bread rolls prepared the meatballs are not so fluffy!
4. Prepare Meatballs in the Oven
It reminds me of my apprenticeship as a cook. In Alfons Schubeck’s kitchen we prepared tons of meat loaves for the pub, terrace and snack bar. You can’t fry so many meat balls one by one anymore and use the oven instead.
For us at home, when many guests come:
- Coat the baking tray with oil.
- Place the formed loaves on the baking tray at a distance from each other.
- Cook the loaves in the oven at 140-150°C hot air for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size.
Prepare the cakes in the oven, the temperature range of 140°C is ideal, the meatballs brown and do not rise too high.
5. Meatballs Side Dishes
Here are some ideas for suitable supplements…
- mashed potatoes
- celery puree
- Jerusalem artichoke puree
- fried potatoes
- French fries
- potato salad
- tomato salad
- green bean salad
- beetroot salad
6. Recipe Meatballs German “Frikadelle”
Now you’re well prepared. Below you will find the exact quantities and preparation steps. I wish you good luck!
- 400 g mixed minced meat half pork half beef
- 1 pc shallot or onion
- 1 pc clove of garlic
- 1 pc rolls
- 80-100 ml milk soaked bread cubes must be expressed well!
- 2 pc eggs
- 1 tbs Medium hot mustard or Dijon mustard use a German mustard for the original!
- 1/4 bunch parsley
- 50 ml sun flower oil or clarified butter
- Place the minced meat in a large bowl. Important: Always process fresh minced meat within 24 hours.
- Soak the diced bread roll with a little milk.
- Finely dice the peeled onions and garlic. Fry in a pan with a little oil for a few minutes until translucent. Add the beaten eggs, mustard, salt, pepper and finely chopped parsley to the minced meat. Add the bread cubes and tempered onions to the minced meat.
- Mix the mixture well and portion with an ice-cream scoop or a small ladle. Attention, first fry a trial meatball!
- Fry a sample meatball, bind the mass with 1 tbsp breadcrumbs according to your needs or personal taste. Now finally portion the minced meat mixture, shape the plant pieces and gradually fry them in a pan.
- Fry the meatballs with the desired side dishes or serve as finger food. Enjoy your meal!
7. Calories and Nutritional Values Meatballs
8. Other Recipes with Minced MeatMeatloaf with egg as filling, classic "False Rabbit"
Meatloaf without Filling with caper sauce
Meatballs, Bavarian meatballs taste better!
Koenigsberger meatballs original recipe with many step by step photos Also interesting: The recipe Koettbullar shows you Swedish meatballs
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Meat Classics Recipes
- Meat Recipes
- Minced Meat Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German