Meatballs Recipe with Chef Tips to prepare German Frikadelle
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Grandma’s Meatballs are a classic RecipeThe typical German minced meat dish in its simplest variant: In addition to mixed minced meat from half beef – half pork and soaked rolls, egg, mustard, salt and pepper are added to the minced meat mixture. As a rule, meatballs also contain onions and garlic. Important! Sweat the latter ingredients better so that the ingredients combine well with the minced meat mixture. The addition of herbs is an invention of modern times. My step-grandmother with Prussian roots let herself be persuaded after many years times by the neighbour to supplement parsley, lovage, marjoram or thyme. She wasn’t really happy with all the herbs. In the end, the family council agreed on parsley. Less herbs means more meat taste. If you prefer southern German, have a look at my recipe for Bavarian meatballs.
Today you can have a meatball as snack: A schnapps, a beer, a meatball… the men’s dish is eaten out of the hand…Meatballs minced meat mass before mixing. I tend to add more ingredients!
2. Meatballs with BreadcrumbsWhen you add breadcrumbs to the minced meat mixture, the structure of the loaf becomes very firm. I always fry a trial loaf. If you have left too much milk on the rolls, the minced meat mass may be too soft. Then you can take countermeasures with very little breadcrumbs and bind the mass a little.
Beware of breadcrumbs in the minced meat mass… the crumbs will attract after a few minutes and your minced meat mass will be very firm and dry!Breading the meatballs before roasting is popular. Turn the formed loaves in breadcrumbs, then fry. Here caution is advised, if the heat is too high, black briquette meatballs come on the plate. The breaded meatball is technically a Berliner Bulette. But we don’t want to see this religiously, but rather cook deliciously! Add breadcrumbs to the minced meat mixture, the mixture becomes firmer.
3. Meatballs without RollsThe bread roll soaked in water 🙁 or milk or cream or the bread cubes makes the plant cubes soft, juicy and a little fluffy. Surely the recipe comes from times of need, but it still has its meaning. The bread roll in the minced meat filling finally makes the difference to Burger Patties, the classic Burger meatball.
Without bread rolls prepared the meatballs are not so fluffy!Bread cubes or bread cubes make the minced meat mass fluffy.
4. Prepare Meatballs in the OvenIt reminds me of my apprenticeship as a cook. In Alfons Schubeck’s kitchen we prepared tons of meat loaves for the pub, terrace and snack bar. You can’t fry so many meat balls one by one anymore and use the oven instead. For us at home, when many guests come:
- Coat the baking tray with oil.
- Place the formed loaves on the baking tray at a distance from each other.
- Cook the loaves in the oven at 140-150°C hot air for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size.
Prepare the cakes in the oven, the temperature range of 140°C is ideal, the meatballs brown and do not rise too high.
5. Meatballs Side DishesHere are some ideas for suitable supplements…
- mashed potatoes
- celery puree
- Jerusalem artichoke puree
- fried potatoes
- French fries
- potato salad
- tomato salad
- green bean salad
- beetroot salad
6. Recipe Meatballs German “Frikadelle”Now you’re well prepared. Below you will find the exact quantities and preparation steps. I wish you good luck!
Classic recipe of German cuisine cooked, photographed and written down by professional chef Thomas Sixt.
For the minced Meat Mass
|400||g||mixed minced meat (half pork half beef)|
|1||pc||Shallot (or onion)|
|1||pc||clove of garlic|
|80-100||ml||Milk (soaked bread cubes must be expressed well!)|
|1||tbs||Medium hot mustard or Dijon mustard (use a German mustard for the original!)|
|50||ml||sun flower oil (or clarified butter)|
Place the minced meat in a large bowl. Important: Always process fresh minced meat within 24 hours.
Soak the diced bread roll with a little milk.
Finely dice the peeled onions and garlic. Fry in a pan with a little oil for a few minutes until translucent. Add the beaten eggs, mustard, salt, pepper and finely chopped parsley to the minced meat. Add the bread cubes and tempered onions to the minced meat.
Mix the mixture well and portion with an ice-cream scoop or a small ladle. Attention, first fry a trial meatball!
Fry a sample meatball, bind the mass with 1 tbsp breadcrumbs according to your needs or personal taste. Now finally portion the minced meat mixture, shape the plant pieces and gradually fry them in a pan.
Fry the meatballs with the desired side dishes or serve as finger food. Enjoy your meal!
I have consciously included the trial hamburger in the recipe as a work step. It can’t hurt to do a test, you can optimize both the consistency and the taste according to your own ideas.
Alternatively, you can cook the meatballs on an oiled baking tray in the oven at 140°C hot air for 30-45 minutes.
Serve with the desired meatballs side dishes, you can find recommendations above in the article. Wish you a good appetite.
7. Calories and Nutritional Values Meatballs
8. Other Recipes with Minced Meat
Meatloaf with egg as filling, classic “False Rabbit”
Meatloaf without Filling with caper sauce
Meatballs, Bavarian meatballs taste better!
Koenigsberger meatballs original recipe with many step by step photos
Also interesting: The recipe Koettbullar shows you Swedish meatballs