Making matjes salad myself I show in this article with cooking videos and many tips. Besides two variants for the matjes salad there are a lot of tips and ideas how you can modify your matjes salad. You can find my recipe matjes salad at the end of this page. The herring feast will give you defitiniv joy. I wish you good luck and a lot of fun cooking it yourself.
- 1. Make your own Matjessalad
- 2. Herring Salad
- 3. Differences Matjes and Herring, a Pinch of Definition
- 4. Matjessalad Housewife Style
- 5. Matjessalad Dressing or Marinade
- 6. Matjessalad with Yoghurt
- 7. Matjessalad with Creme Fraiche and Sour Cream
- 8. Matjessalad without Milk Products
- 9. Matjessalad with Vinegar Oil Dressing
- 10. Onions in Matjessalad
- 11. Matjessalad with Apple and Beetroot
- 12. Video Matjessalad with Apple and Beetroot
- 13. Matjessalad with Egg, Olives and Gherkins
- 14. Video Matjes with Egg, Olives, Onions and Gherkins
- 15. Recipe Matjessalad
- 16. Calories Matjessalad, the Nutritional Values at a Glance
1. Make your own Matjessalad
Let’s take a closer look at matjessalad, you can prepare a creamy matjessalad based on cream, cream fraiche and sour cream or a matjessalad without milk or soy products. The creamy matjessalad is a fine thing, but I also like the variant with lots of vegetables and a light oil dressing. The Matjessalat without is to be found with me on the side as herring feast. This fish salad is always a feast for the eyes, because not everything is in the white sauce. In this article I mainly dedicate myself to the creamy variants and give you many suggestions for the preparation.
2. Herring Salad
The matjes is a young herring, so you can also use pickled herring for your salad. The matjes tastes better and finer and is therefore the first choice. I will explain the difference between matjes and herring below, so there are no more stumbling blocks.
3. Differences Matjes and Herring, a Pinch of Definition
The matjes is the young herring and not yet spawnable. It is therefore a very young fish, hence its fine taste and soft appearance. Herring compared to matjes is a herring which was inserted like Matjes and tastes accordingly similarly, but by far does not come close to the fine, young Matjes.
4. Matjessalad Housewife Style
This is a very well-known and popular preparation, the salad dressing usually consists of a cup of sour cream, a cup of yoghurt, a tablespoon of lemon juice, some sugar, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. In addition to approx. 250 g of finely chopped matjes fillets, two finely chopped apples and pickled gherkins are added. Red onions and fresh or dried dill are added as decoration and for the taste.
5. Matjessalad Dressing or Marinade
I would like to briefly explain the creamy dressing preparations and give some tips.
6. Matjessalad with Yoghurt
Use more yoghurt as a base and mix only one tablespoon of sour cream or cream fraiche on a cup of yoghurt.
7. Matjessalad with Creme Fraiche and Sour Cream
Use a cup of cream fraiche and a cup of sour cream. You can leave out the yoghurt here.
8. Matjessalad without Milk Products
Use a soy cream, and or a soy yoghurt, both ingredients are very compatible with the matjes. Alternatively you can prepare my following matjessalad with a little vinegar and oil.
9. Matjessalad with Vinegar Oil Dressing
I take 250 g matjes fillets cut into pieces, two pieces of apples cut into fine strips, two sticks of celery finely cut into strips, eight pieces of radishes cut into fine strips or quarters, orange fillets of two oranges, chives rolls or parsley and red onions or spring onions. The salad dressing is made from orange juice, a little white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and some sugar and oil. I like this very colourful matjessalad very much, it pleases the eye and tastes great. You can find my recipe for herring feast for Ash Wednesday elsewhere.
10. Onions in Matjessalad
The onions have the big disadvantage that they like to ferment quickly. There is a trick for this: Put the chopped onions in a little vinegar with sugar for ten minutes. The marinade of vinegar and sugar makes the onions keep well and the salad will certainly be delicious on the plate, even if it is left in the fridge for two hours.
11. Matjessalad with Apple and Beetroot
The basic preparation of matjessalad is now followed by a cooking video. I like to combine the creamy matjessalad with beetroot and apple. When you cut the apples, they have to be sprinkled either very quickly into the sauce or with lemon juice. Otherwise the apple will brown quickly. Beetroot: At best you cook your own fresh beetroot, this is the best variation. Simply boil the raw beetroot in salted water until soft, pour off and peel with your hands under running cold water. You can also use already cooked and vacuumed beetroot, but the self cooked beetroot tastes much better. Marinate the remaining beetroot with some vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and olive oil, you can eat it on the following days and it is very healthy. The beetroot from the glass simply doesn’t taste good to me, so there is no recommendation for it.
12. Video Matjessalad with Apple and Beetroot
13. Matjessalad with Egg, Olives and Gherkins
Another variant for the matjessalat is the preparation with boiled egg, olives, gherkins and onions. The following video shows how to do this.
14. Video Matjes with Egg, Olives, Onions and Gherkins
15. Recipe Matjessalad
- 6-8 pc potatoes floury cooking (small)
- some Butter
- 80 g bacon strips
- 1 bunch chives
- 200 g Créme Fraîche
- 200 g yoghurt can be completed see article
- 4 pinch salt
- 2 pinch pepper
- 1-2 pinch sugar
- some chili dryed or cayenne pepper
- 3 pc eggs boiled and cutted
- 8 pc black pitted olives
- 1 pc small onion
- 4 pc medium-sized pickled gherkins
- 1 tbs capers
- 2 pc apple
- 2 pc beetroot cooked
- 1 pc onions
- 8 pc cornichons (very small gherkins) or 4 pickled gherkins
- 2 pc apple
- 2 pc onion
- 3-6 pc matjes fillet
- herbs dill, parsley, chives
- For the matje salad with jacket potatoes, boil the potato in salted water, peel and toss in a little butter, season with salt and pepper and keep warm. Add crispy bacon to the potatoes to taste.
- Mix all ingredients for the matjes salad dressing in a bowl and make ready.
- Prepare all ingredients for each variant of matjes salad as described in the list of ingredients and add to the matjes salad dressing and mix.
- Serve matjessalad with jacket potatoes and herbs to taste.