My Lentil Stew recipe with video I show you in this post. Let’s cook a refined stew that tastes very, very tasty!
The lentil stew video lasts only 8 minutes and shows you the preparation step by step. In many recipes the lentils are soaked in cold water, with the effect that the lentils always taste watery.
During my apprenticeship at Alfons Schuhbeck I learned: Do not soak lenses! The lentils can then absorb the taste of the broth while cooking and taste powerful.
Watch me cooking over my shoulders, I’ve added the video above this time and the info and text below. The recipe for lentil stew can be found at the end of the page, including nutritional values and calorie information! Have fun trying it out and good luck!
1. Prepare Lentil Stew, Step by Step with Video
My lentil stew recipe is sure to work and tastes good. The video is accelerated in some places, so you can watch it faster. I also think it’s very funny how fast I can cut vegetables and onions. Take a look at it:
2. Lentil Stew, which Lenses are the right ones?
I like to use the brown plate lenses, just as you can prepare a lentil stew with red or black lenses or even mix the lenses. The result is a colourful picture on your plate.
The lenses are always washed with me, so dust and dirt particles are out of the game, the good lens stew can stand nothing more in the way.
3. Lentil Stew, German, genuine, hearty
My lentil stew consists in the base of soup vegetables and onions, lentils, tomato paste, some red wine and broth. You can add bacon cubes, roast them with the soup or sprinkle them over the lentil stew. I like to add a strong red wine to the lentil stew, that gives strength and spice. I would like to give away a secret tip: Normal lentil stew is cooked with broth. Please cook your next lentil stew with veal stock. You will experience a real taste miracle!
Veal stock as a secret ingredient in my lentil stew, please don’t tell anyone!
4. Lentil Stew vegan
The lentil stew can easily be prepared vegetarian or vegan. Banish bacon and sausages from your kitchen and quickly buy some soy sausages. Use a good vegetable broth! As decoration you can put fried parsley, chives or cress on the lentil stew.
5. Recipe Lentil Stew
The recipe is a list of the different varieties of lentil stew. You can choose the ingredients yourself and prepare a hearty lentil stew with bacon and sausage, or a vegetarian or vegan stew with lentils. Please be careful with the curry, a mild Madras curry is ideal. It brings a fruity elegance to the dish, as well as appropriate spiciness. If you are specifically preparing a lentil stew with more curry, then add some sugar, which balances the heat and rounds off the taste. In general, you can always season lentil stew with a little curry and turmeric. Small amounts of these spices bring a delicious depth of taste to the lentil dish.
- 100 g soup vegetables carrot, parsley root, beetroot, celery
- 1/2 pc onion
- 40 g bacon cubes optional
- 100 g lentils brown, red or black lentils
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 1 pc bay leaf
- 50 ml red wine heavy ideal is a strong Rioja
- 500 ml chicken broth or veal stock or vegetable broth
- 2 tbs balsamic the older the balsamic vinegar the better
- 4 pc medium-sized potato optional
- 2 pair Viennese sausage or vegan sausage
- some parsley or chives, cress
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Wash the soup vegetables well, peel and dice finely. Peel and finely chop the onion. Sweat the vegetable and onion cubes with the bacon cubes in a saucepan. The bacon can also be omitted or later sprinkled crispy over the lentil stew.
- Add the lentils and continue sweating briefly. Add the tomato paste and fry until light brown. Add bay leaf, deglaze with red wine and broth and bring to the boil. The tomato paste is important for the taste and the colour!
- Season the lentil stew with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar and simmer for 40 minutes. Balsamic vinegar gives the lentil stew a light acidity and an appealing colour!
- Add the potatoes to the lentil stew or leave them out: Peel the potatoes and cut them into coarse or small cubes. Cook the potato cubes in the lentil stew until soft.
- Bring the lentil stew to the boil again, remove the pan from the heat, add the sliced Frankfurter or Viennese sausages to the stew and heat briefly. The sausages should not boil, otherwise they will deform like twisted shoe soles. Always warm the sausages carefully!
- Sprinkle the lentil stew with freshly cut parsley, chives or cress and serve quickly.