Lentil Salad Simple, Recipe with Beetroot, Lamb’s Lettuce and Oranges
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. How to prepare Lentil SaladHere is the overview of the preparation. Also note my hints at the end of the recipe…
- Cook the turnips in salt water until soft. Use a pressure pot, then it goes faster.
- Then transfer the turnips to the washbasin and peel with cold water.
- Peeling is easy… the skin just peels off.
- Let the turnips cool lukewarm, then cut into fine slices and place in a bowl.
- Add white wine vinegar, salt, sugar, pepper, oil and freshly ground caraway seeds and marinate.
- At the same time prepare the lentils with vegetable cubes and onion cubes and cook in vegetable stock until soft.
- I always add some curry to the lentils, we know this from the Indian lentil salad. Curry supports the taste of the lentils.
- Clean, wash and prepare lamb’s lettuce.
- Prepare orange fillets or peel orange and cut into pieces.
- Prepare a salad dressing with orange juice, vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Marinate the lentils with balsamic vinegar and serve.
- Add beetroot slices, marinate lamb’s lettuce and add.
2. Recipe for simple lentil saladBelow are the step-by-step instructions with many photos. If you have any questions please use the comment function!
Lentil salad with beetroot, lamb's lettuce, oranges and walnuts
Great lentil salad recipe with step by step photos. A professional cook’s guide by Thomas Sixt.
Boil beetroot and prepare salad
Marinade for beetroot
|40||ml||white wine vinegar|
|70||ml||Sunflower oil (or olive oil)|
Lamb's lettuce and dressing + oranges + decoration
|1||tbsp||white wine vinegar|
|2||pc||Orangen (for fillets or orange pieces)|
Cook the beetroot in salted water until soft. You can use a pressure pot, then it goes faster.
Pour off the beetroot and peel under running cold water. Then let cool and cut out unattractive places.
Cut the turnips into thin slices, you can also use a slicer.
Place the beet slices in a bowl.
Toast the caraway in a mortar so that the aroma can develop better.
Season the beet slices with caraway, salt, sugar, vinegar and oil.
Refine beetroot salad with pepper, mix well and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
Season beetroot salad to taste, arrange and serve. Enjoy your meal!
Sweat the lentils with diced vegetables and onions in a saucepan. Add the bay leaf, vegetable stock, sugar, salt, pepper and curry and cook the lentils.
If necessary, add water, cook the lentils until al dente, then remove the bay leaf and season with balsamic vinegar lukewarm.
Lamb's lettuce, dressing, oranges, decoration
Cut off the roots from the lamb’s lettuce. Gently weigh lamb’s lettuce in cold water, dry and drain on kitchen paper.
Squeeze two oranges and mix with vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and honey. Let the olive oil run in slowly and stir to a creamy dressing.
Squeeze the walnuts into the mortar to decorate.
Either filet or peel and chop the oranges. Arrange the lentils, add the beetroot, marinate the lamb’s lettuce and add it neatly, add the orange pieces and serve decorated with walnuts.
YOU could write me a comment now, why this lens salad should be simple… after all there are more than 20 ingredients in use here…
For clarification: I prepare this lentil salad mostly when I have already prepared beetroot salad the day before. I almost always have the dressing for the lamb’s lettuce ready in the fridge because it tastes so delicious.
You could also use pre-cooked beetroot, then please buy the cooked, non-marinated ones, which taste better than the beetroot from the glass.
Some more tips for cooking beetroot:
The smaller the beets, the shorter the cooking time. The piercing of the beets is considered a faux pas, I have already halved large beets to reduce the cooking time. Wash the turnips well before cooking, only clean turnips come into your pot! 🙂