OTHER LANGUAGES: German
In this post I show you my recipe Kohlrabi Soup. Kohlrabi is a wonderful vegetable and usually available all year round. The kohlrabi season for local produce is from April-June (kohlrabi from the greenhouse) and from May to November (field vegetable kohlrabi).
Kohlrabi has a sweet and nutty aroma and tastes less like cabbage.
Shopping tip: Buy kohlrabi with fresh leaves, which you can also put in a salad or use to prepare and decorate the soup.
I wish you every success, I’ll tell you some good ideas for the kohlrabi soup and look forward to a delicious soup.
1. Kohlrabi Soup Shopping List
For the kohlrabi soup you need:
- kohlrabi fresh with strong leaves
- dry white wine
- vegetable broth
- cream, soy cream or coconut milk
- salt, white pepper and nutmeg, served with some cayenne pepper
- optional white truffle oil
As always, you will find the exact ingredients in the recipe below.
2. Kohlrabi Soup Basic Recipe and Decoration Ideas
The basic recipe for kohlrabi soup is totally simple:
- Peel kohlrabi, cut into small pieces and sauté with onion cubes in butter for 10-15 minutes until colourless.
- Add the white wine and broth, bring to the boil, reduce the cream, season to taste and serve.
Decorative ideas and variations for the kohlrabi soup:
- Use a ball cutter and carefully hollow out the kohlrabi with it. Serve the soup later directly in the kohlrabi.
- Before serving, mix the kohlrabi soup with cold butter until foamy and serve as kohlrabi foam soup.
- Refine the kohlrabi soup with white truffle oil.
- Decorate the cabbage soup with a ramson pesto or a herb pesto and serve sprinkled with crispy bread cubes.
- Decorate the kohlrabi soup with a dash of whipped cream and chervil and serve.
- Serve the kohlrabi soup with roasted almond flakes and fried parsley.
3. Recipe Kohlrabi Soup
Below you will find my recipe for kohlrabi soup. I wish you every success and look forward to your questions about the comment function.
- 25 g Butter
- 2 pc shalotts finely diced
- 2-3 pc Kohlrabi
- 1 pc potato
- 70 ml dry white wine
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- 150 ml cream or soy cream or coconut milk
- 2 pinch nutmeg
- 4 pinch salt
- 2 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 25 g Butter I use cold butter to mix up the kohlrabi soup
- 1-2 tsp truffle oil white truffle oil
- 1 bunch chervil chervil harmonizes with truffle oil
- Cut the kohlrabi just under the green to form a lid. Use a ball cutter to hollow out the tubers and leave a thick edge. I usually hollow out two kohlrabi and take a third kohlrabi peeled for the soup.
- Sweat the cut out kohlrabis pieces and the chopped potatoes and shallots in the butter for 10-15 minutes until colourless.
- Deglaze with the white wine and add the vegetable stock. Bring the soup to the boil, then slowly pour the cream into the boiling soup. Note: The cream cannot flocculate if made in this way! Season the soup with salt, pepper and nutmeg and simmer gently for another 5 minutes.
- Mix the kohlrabi soup with a hand blender, either strain or leave it with fibre.
- Refine the soup with truffle oil and mix with the cold butter until foamy at the end. Pour the kohlrabi soup into the prepared kohlrabi and serve quickly.
- Optionally you can serve the soup with roasted bread cubes, further variations of the soup can be found above in the article.
4. Calories Kohlrabi Soup, the Nutritional Values at a Glance
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Easter Recipes
- Low Carb Recipes
- Low Carb Soups Recipes
- Soups Recipes
- Starters Soups Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German