Kohlrabi Soup Recipe
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer and cookbook author.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Here I show you my kohlrabi soup recipe.
Kohlrabi is a wonderful vegetable and is usually available all year round.
The kohlrabi season for domestic produce is from April to June (greenhouse kohlrabi) and from May to November (outdoor kohlrabi).
Kohlrabi has a sweet and nutty aroma and tastes less like cabbage.
Buy kohlrabi with fresh leaves, you can also put them in a salad or use them to prepare and decorate the soup.
There is already a separate recipe for kohlrabi chips.
I wish you good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Recipe Kohlrabi Soup
Below is my soup recipe.
I wish you the best of luck and look forward to questions via the comment function.
Cooked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Simple guide to prepare cream soup with kohlrabi.
decoration and additions
|25||g||butter (I use cold butter to mix up the kohlrabi soup)|
|2||Stück||shallots (dice finely!)|
|70||ml||dry white wine|
|150||ml||Cream (or soy cream or coconut milk)|
|1-2||tsp||white truffle oil (white truffle oil)|
|1||bunch||chervil (Chervil harmonizes with truffle oil)|
Cut the kohlrabi just below the green to create a lid.
Scoop out the bulbs with a melon baller, leaving a thick edge.
I usually hollow out two kohlrabi and use a third peeled kohlrabi for the soup.
Sauté the kohlrabi pieces that have been cut out, the chopped potatoes and the diced shallots in the butter for 10-15 minutes until colourless.
Deglaze with the white wine and add the vegetable broth.
Bring the soup to the boil, then slowly pour the cream into the boiling soup.
Note: The cream cannot flocculate when made this way!
Season the soup with salt, pepper and nutmeg and let it simmer gently for another 5 minutes.
Mix up the kohlrabi soup with a hand blender, either strain it or leave it with the fiber.
Optionally refine the soup with truffle oil.
Finally mix with the cold butter until fluffy.
The kohlrabi soup is ready to serve.
Optionally, you can serve the soup with toasted bread cubes.
Arrange the soup on plates or in the hollowed-out kohlrabi and serve.
2. Calories and Nutritional Values
3. Shopping List for Kohlrabi Soup
For the kohlrabi soup you need:
- Kohlrabi fresh with strong leaves
- dry white wine
- vegetable broth
- cream, soy cream or coconut milk
- salt, white pepper and nutmeg, plus a little cayenne pepper
- Optionally a white truffle oil
As always, you can find the exact details of the ingredients further down in the recipe.
4. Kohlrabi Soup Basic Recipe and Decoration Ideas
The basic recipe for kohlrabi soup is very simple:
- Peel kohlrabi, cut into small pieces and sweat with diced onion in butter for 10 -15 minutes until colorless.
- Add white wine and broth, bring to a boil, reduce the cream, season to taste, serve.
Decoration ideas and variants:
Use a melon baller and carefully scoop out the kohlrabi.
- Serve the soup later directly in the kohlrabi.
- Before serving, blend the soup with cold butter until frothy and serve as a foamy soup.
- Optionally refine the soup with white truffle oil.
- Decorate the soup with a wild garlic pesto or with a herb pesto and serve sprinkled with crispy bread cubes.
- Decorate the soup with a blob of whipped cream and chervil and serve.
- Serve the soup with toasted almond flakes and fried parsley.
5. More ideas
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!