Today I’ll show you my recipe for Knuckle of Pork. The knuckle of pork is regionally known under different names: The Franks call them Knöchla or Adlerhaxe, in Switzerland the knuckle is called Gnagi or Wädli.
Depending on the region, the knuckles of pork are prepared in different ways. In Northern Germany and Poland, most knuckle of pork is salted, in Southern Germany it is not salted but roasted or cooked crispy.
In this article with recipe you will get a good overview of how to prepare your own shank. Inspire your guests and your loved ones with a crispy knuckle of pork. Good luck!
- 1. Buy Front or Rear Knuckle of Pork and Quantity per Person?
- 2. Cook Knuckle of Pork and serve with Sauerkraut, all Questions answered quickly…
- 3. Grilled Knuckle of Pork
- 4. Bavarian Knuckles of Pork Prepared like a Bavarian Chef
- 5. Recipe Knuckle of Pork
- 6. Calories Porc Knuckle, the Nutritional Value at a Glance
- 7. All Recipes for Roast Pork and Side Dishes
1. Buy Front or Rear Knuckle of Pork and Quantity per Person?
The rear knuckle of pork is generally fleshier than the front knuckle because the front knuckle of pork has a higher proportion of bone. Therefore a rear leg is optimal for the family meal or the invitations with many guests. Per person you can count on at least 250 g gross weight of knuckle, after all there is one bone. The quantity calculation then looks like this: 2 persons approx. 500 g knuckle of pork, 4 persons approx. 1 kg,…
2. Cook Knuckle of Pork and serve with Sauerkraut, all Questions answered quickly…
For boiled knuckle of pork you buy salted knuckle of pork. Then cook the knuckle of pork until soft: Prepare a soup of strong vegetable broth, onion, soup vegetables, bay leaf, cloves, caraway and marjoram and cook for 15 minutes. Next, place the knuckle of pork in the soup and let it simmer gently. The preparation time for a 500 g knuckle of pork is approx. 1.5 – 2 hours, larger knuckle of pork takes longer, the knuckle of pork can remain in the soup for up to 3 hours. In the pressure cooker the preparation time is halved, you can use the knuckle of pork stock to prepare sauerkraut.
3. Grilled Knuckle of Pork
The grilled knuckle of pork comes crispy and resch on the table. You can basically use unpickled knuckle of pork or pickled knuckle of pork. The quantity per person is discussed in point 1 of this article. Season the knuckle with salt, pepper and paprika and rub in. Preheat the oven to 200°C hot air and put the knuckle of pork in the oven after 15 minutes. You can place the seasoned knuckle of pork on a grill (grid) (baking tray with water underneath) or place the knuckle of pork in a roaster. Then reduce the temperature to 170°C and let the knuckle of pork cook for about 1.5-2-3 hours, depending on the size crispy.
Barbecue the knuckle of pork: I prefer to use the unpickled knuckle, it’s healthier.
4. Bavarian Knuckles of Pork Prepared like a Bavarian Chef
The day before preparation, put 5 pinches of pepper, a teaspoon of whole caraway, 1 teaspoon of paprika, a quartered clove of garlic and a teaspoon of sunflower oil in a large freezer bag. Put the washed, dry spotted knuckle of pork into the bag and knot this bag. Then massage the knuckle of pork with the spices and aromas and put the knuckle of pork overnight in the fridge.
Take the knuckle of pork out of the bag the next day and put it in a large roaster. Now season the marinated knuckle of pork with salt. Preheat the oven to 200°C hot air and put the knuckle of pork into the oven. Reduce the temperature to 170°C after 15-20 minutes. After 45 minutes add the vegetables: Carrots, celery, parsley root, halved onions, quartered potatoes. After another 30 minutes deglaze with gravy and beer, finish cooking the pork knuckles in a Bavarian style until crispy and serve with dumplings and sauerkraut.
5. Recipe Knuckle of Pork
So that you achieve a 100% result, the following recipe for the fried or crispy grilled pork knuckle with all the quantities. Good success!
- 1-1,2 kg knuckle of pork
- 5 pinch pepper black, grounded
- 1 tsp paprika sweet
- 1 tsp caraway
- 1 pc clove of garlic quartered
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bunch soup vegetable carrots, yellow turnips, parsley root, celery tuber
- 6 pc potatoes big (or 4 small)
- 500 ml blond beer
- 500 ml water
- 2 dice roast pork juice
- 1 tsp majoram
- 50 g butter cold
- Wash the knuckle of pork the day before under cold, running water, pat dry and place in a roaster. Prepare a marinade with pepper, paprika, caraway seeds, garlic clove and oil and rub into the knuckle of pork. Alternatively, you can put all the ingredients in a freezer bag, knot it and massage the marinade into the knot. This will keep your hands clean and the aromas will go good on the knuckles. Place the marinated knuckle of pork in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C hot air. I think hot air is the best way to prepare it because you don't have to turn the knuckle. Place the prepared knuckle of pork in the roaster (optionally unpacked from the freezer bag) in the oven.
- Reduce the temperature to 170°C after approx. 15-20 minutes. After 45 minutes add the vegetables: Peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces carrots, celery, parsley root a halved onion. Additional quartered potatoes. After another 30 minutes, deglaze with gravy and beer and let the knuckle of pork cook for another 45 minutes until crispy. Check the sauce from time to time and add water as needed.
- Prepare the side dishes for the knuckle of pork, see the links below in the recipe. I like to serve the knuckle of pork with bread dumplings, potato dumplings and sauerkraut.
- Check the cooking degree of the knuckle of pork with a thin meat fork, I do this as follows: If the meat hardly gives way when pierced and clear meat juice runs out, the knuckle of pork is ready. Before serving, grill the knuckle of pork briefly under the grill until crispy, then serve.
- Pour the sauce without vegetables into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Mix with marjoram and cold butter. Serve the sauce and side dishes with the knuckle of pork. Enjoy your meal!
6. Calories Porc Knuckle, the Nutritional Value at a GlanceAttention it concerns the nutritional values without supplements!
7. All Recipes for Roast Pork and Side DishesAll roast pork recipes on this cookblog: Roast pork recipe with red wine and plums - overview on all recipes
Roast pork with herbs
Quick roast pork with fillet
Bavarian roast pork with sauerkraut and dumplings
Roast pork in the pot Side dishes with roast pork and knuckle of pork:
Roast pork beer sauce
Pretzel dumpling original from Bavaria Salads to go with crispy grilled knuckle of pork: Bavarian potato salad