OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Here you will find my recipe for Kale Soup with Eel. The finely cooked gourmet soup is served hot for an eye-catcher on the table.
This soup of kale with eel is special! I have thought of this recipe for you, regardless of the traditional preparation of eel soup: Eel combined with a vegetable that goes very well with smoked fish, kale.
Since the kale is only cooked briefly as a soup here, the rich green colour is retained. I think it is a contemporary, modern treatment of the curly kale – the vegetables are not “boiled to death”.
Enjoy cooking and bon appétit!
1. Kale Soup with Eel – the Ingredients
The main ingredient for our great soup is the fresh kale. The kale has meanwhile risen from its muddy grey-green existence between fatty belly meat and salty sausages, which can only be digested with a lot of mustard.
Since the cloudy existence is over, our green cabbage gets a new appearance with fresh vegetables, diced potatoes and fine eel.
We supplement our soup with soup vegetables. This supports our cabbage perfectly.
Let’s not forget the eel for this. We add the eel filleted to the ready cooked soup.
2. Curly Kale Soup with Eel – Overview of the Preparation
Here is a short overview of the preparation to wake up your cooking powers…
- First of all we fillet the smoked eel. For this I have prepared an eel filleting post for you.
- The remains of the eel, bones and skin we put on some soup vegetables and cook a smoked eel stock.
- The smoked eel stock is later refined with cream. This results in this wonderful white foam on the soup.
- The garnish for the soup is made next. I have decided on potato cubes. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 5 mm cubes. I blanch these cubes in boiling salted water until they are firm to the bite and prepare them for later serving.
- The edge of the plate belongs to the guest, this is the rule in top gastronomy! Exceptions are icing sugar and pepper. For aesthetic artistic reasons, I have coated the edge of the plate with a light curry mayonnaise to create a tasty surface for the kale chips. But everything in order…
- My mayonnaise recipe shows you how to prepare the classic cold cream with cooking video. Alternatively, you can take a ready made mayonnaise and season it with a little honey and curry.
- The kale chips need only 8-10 minutes in the oven, the instructions for kale crisps show you step by step with lots of photos.
- Then take care of the preparation of the kale soup, the steps are completely explained in the recipe.
If you concentrate on your work, this soup will be on the table in about 45-60 minutes. You have to step on the gas a little bit, but the soup is definitely worth it and guarantees 10 points at the perfect dinner!
3. Recipe Kale Soup with Eel
- 1 pc smoked eel See note on filleting in the article!
- 80 g soup vegetables
- 15 g butter
- 50 ml dry white wine
- 150 ml vegetable broth
- 100 ml cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 pinches pepper
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 2 pc potatoes medium size!
- 3 pinches salt
- 300 g kale
- 1 pc onion I like to use shallots.
- 140 g soup vegetables carrot, celery, leek
- 1 tbs butter or sunflower oil
- 70 ml white wine
- 300 ml vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 100 ml cream or soy cream
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pnch ground nutmeg
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 2-4 pinches chili flakes
- 6-8 pc kale crisps see note in article
- File the smoked eel, see the step-by-step instructions with photos linked in the article above.
- Place the portioned eel pieces in a cool place for later serving.
- Cut the soup vegetables into small pieces and sauté them in the pot with some butter for 8 minutes until colourless. Deglaze with the white wine and fill up with cold stock. Add the skin and bones of the smoked eel and let it simmer for 20 minutes below boiling point at approx. 90-95°C. You can prepare the potato cubes in this time!
- Bring the smoked eel stock to the boil and let the cold cream slowly run into the boiling liquid. Season the smoked fish stock with a little salt, pepper and nutmeg if necessary, and let it stand for another 5-10 minutes.
- Pass the smoked eel foam through a fine sieve and place it next to the stove for later mixing with cold butter.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 5 mm cubes. Blanch the potato cubes in salted water until firm to the bite, drain and prepare for later serving.
- Peel the onion and cut into strips or cubes. Wash, peel and chop the soup vegetables evenly. Sauté the vegetables in the pot with the butter until colourless for 6-8 minutes. Then deglaze with white wine.
- Place the washed kale leaves one by one on the board and cut out the panicle generously. Put some leaves aside for kale chips.
- Add remaining kale to the soup mixture and cook for 1 minute with lid.
- The kale has now collapsed, add the stock and let the soup base simmer without a lid for about 10 minutes. This way the green colour of the kale is preserved.
- Mix the curly kale soup with a hand blender and let it stand for another 10 minutes. Do not boil the soup any more!
- Pass the mixed soup through a fine hair sieve.
- Pluck a part of the leaves and marinate with oil, salt and pepper. Place the leaves generously distributed on a baking tray and prepare the kale chips at 200°C. Please note the extra article with many step by step photos, this is linked in the article above! Prepare the kale chips for later serving.
- Prepare the mayonnaise yourself or use a prepared mayonnaise as a base. Mix the mayonnaise with curry and season to taste with a little honey. Use a brush to prepare the curry mayonnaise for later serving.
- Heat the soup plates in the microwave and prepare them. Gently heat the potato cubes and arrange them in three places on the plate.
- Spread the prepared mayonnaise with the brush. Put some kale chips on the mayonnaise.
- Bring the smoking foam to the boil once, as well as the kale soup. Mix both soup ingredients with cold butter until frothy. First carefully pour in the kale soup with a beak cup. Then place the eel pieces on the potato cubes. Decorate with kale foam and smoked foam and serve quickly.
4. Calories and Nutritional Values
5. More delicious Soups RecipesAll soup recipes Potato soup, Tomato soup, Herbs soup, Pumpkin soup, Bouillabaise, Gazpacho, Asparagus soup, Pea soup, Potato soup, Kale soup vegetarian, Eel soup
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Current and New Recipes
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Kale Recipes
- Low Carb Soups Recipes
- Soups Recipes
- Starters Soups Recipes
- Winter Soups Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German