Today I show you my simple Halibut recipe. The halibut is a particularly fine fish and without breading the fish disintegrates all too easily when roasted in the pan.
That’s why I’ll show you several different ways to prepare it in the recipe to make sure that the dish is a success. I have included mashed potatoes, fresh butter peas and fried herbs as a side dish with halibut. Served on a blue plate, it looks like fish in the sea…
All ingredients are fresh in the supermarket. Depending on the season, you can use chanterelles or porcini mushrooms for the dish.
The recipe at the end of the page shows you how to prepare it, with step-by-step photos. I wish you all the best!
1. Prepare Halibut with Success
For the preparation of halibut fillet there are three variants for me which I would like to show you briefly…
1.1 Poach Halibut in the Oven
Prepare the halibut fillets and heat the oven at 90°C hot air.
Also warm the plates for serving in the oven. Brush one plate with butter and season with salt and white pepper. Put in the halibut fillets and season from above with salt and pepper.
I cover the prepared halibut with cling film. You can poach the halibut in the oven for about 12 minutes when the side dishes are ready.
1.2 Halibut Poach in the Broth
Cook a pot of vegetable broth, place the pot next to the stove and place the prepared halibut fillets in the hot broth. The fish will now poach correctly below the boiling point. Please be careful, this goes quite fast.
1.3 Halibut Roasting and Poaching
I also show this variant in the recipe at the end of the page. I like this way of preparation because the fish is poached but still gets aromas from the roast.
Prepare the halibut fillets and heat the oven at 90°C hot air. Also warm the plates for serving in the oven.
Season the prepared halibut fillets with salt and pepper and fry in a coated pan with nut butter on one side.
After 3-4 minutes simply place the pan in the oven. The fish can be cooked to the desired degree.
The same applies to the method of preparation: first cook the side dishes until ready, then prepare the fish.
You can alternatively prepare this dish with cod, hake, plaice, redfish and sole.
2. Halibut Side Dish mashed Potatoes
So that it goes fast and succeeds I always use puree potatoes, which are floury boiling potatoes.
Peel the potatoes and cut into 3 mm thick slices.
Cover the potato slices with salted water and cook until soft. Drain the remaining water and add the butter, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix the potatoes quickly with a hand mixer to an airy puree.
3. Peas as a Side Dish to Halibut
I found fresh peas at the market today. I bought a kilogram for two people and started cleaning peas at home. Fresh peas are something delicious, it always reminds me of my grandmother’s garden and the hours of preparing and cleaning the peas.
Peel the peas, then cook in boiling salted water, immediately toss in the butter and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Mushrooms as a Side Dish with Fish, always a good Idea
I like mushrooms to fish, that always reminds me of Italy and a good spaghetti Mare Monte. Today I have discovered small herbseitlinge and they come fresh and crispy fried to the halibut. You get herbseitlings all year round in the supermarket. You can also use chanterelles, porcini mushrooms or other mushrooms in season for this fish dish.
5. Recipe Halibut
Below you will find many step-by-step photos of the recipe. I hope you manage the preparation and you conjure a great fish dish on the plate. Good luck!
- 500 g halibut fillet
- 50 g Butter
- 400 g potatoes
- 100 ml cream
- 50 g Butter
- 1 kg peas
- 50 g Butter
- 100 g mushrooms king oyster mushrooms or porcini mushrooms or chanterelles
- 10 ml olive oil
- Preheat oven and keep plate warm, I use hot air level at 100°C.Wash and peel the potatoes, cut into 3-4 mm thick slices. Cover potato slices with salted water and cook in a pot until soft. Pour off the remaining liquid, add the butter, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix with a hand mixer to a creamy puree.
- Get fresh peas from the market or use frozen peas. I bought one kilogram of peas (uncleaned pea pods) for two people.
- Open the pea pods and chew the peas.
- Cook the peas in boiling salted water until al dente and then drain on a sieve.
- Sway the peas in butter and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Prepare the peas for serving.
- Cut the small herbs in half and fry them in a pan with olive oil.
- Sauté the herbs and season with salt and pepper, prepare for serving.
- Wash halibut fillet under cold water and dry. Place the halibut fillet on a board.
- Portion the halibut fillet. I always use the narrow tail piece for fish soup. Put the front fillet pieces in the pan for the dish.
- I sometimes freeze the diced fish pieces from the tail piece and then have a fish soup insert nimbly at hand.
- Fry the halibut briefly in a pan, then put in the oven and let it simmer to the desired degree.
- Arrange the mashed potatoes on the warm plates. Add the peas. Arrange the halibut on the mashed potatoes, add the mushrooms and serve quickly.
6. Calories Halibut with mashed Potatoes, Peas and Mushrooms
7. More Recipe IdeasFish in Bacon
Safran Risotto with Fish
Fish in Tomato Sauce (with Cooking Video)
Fish poached with Chanterelles All Fish Recipes by Thomas Sixt Potato Puree