The Gyros recipe with Tsatsiki is one of my favourite dishes of the fast cuisine. I have refined this famous dish from the Greek kitchen in my own way.
In the video Prepare Gyros you can watch it step by step.
Check also my new Greek Salad 2018… Take a look at the tips and ideas now. Good luck! Please share this post on Facebook with your friends, thank you!
1. Gyros Recipe Original
In Greek, the term gyros has, among other things, the meaning spinning top or round. It is assumed that vertical grilling was common before horizontal grilling. In the gastronomic sense, gyros stands for the spit and is “related” to the Turkish kebab.
For the Gyros selected and particularly soft pieces of the pig are processed, so for example pig neck. In the original gyros, the meat is seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and thyme, partly supplemented with cumin, marjoram and coriander.
2. Which Meat is Ideal for Gyros? Here is my Tip!
Since I don’t have a gyros grill at home, the gyros is prepared in a pan. I prefer to use pork fillet, although it is slightly more expensive in price, its consistency and taste are unsurpassably fine.
Use pork tenderloin – this results in gyros in gourmet quality.
3. Tsatsiki for Gyros
I wondered, different spellings are possible: I found Tzatziki, Tsatsiki or Zaziki. We agree on the preparation by far:
Tsatsiki: Garlic, yoghurt and cucumber are the ingredients for this cold sauce.
With tsatsiki, I have done various experiments with soy cream, the variant with soy does not taste bad, I am currently using sheep’s milk yoghurt again. My Tsatsiki in the video has become a cucumber salad, I like cucumbers and finally more vegetables are also healthy!
4. My Seasoning Mixture and Spice for Gyros
Who follows my Kochblog regularly knows my joy of experimenting. I have developed an interesting Gyros spice mix: I use marjoram, oregano, thyme, lemon peel and paprika. The result is a very special combination that is powerful and refreshing at the same time.
5. Cooking Video to the Gyros Recipe
The cooking video for the Gyros preparation should be an optimal instruction for you. The Gyros is prepared in the pan. I would be happy if you cook it yourself.
6. Recipe Gyros in the Pan with Tsatsiki
- 6 pc small potatoes
- some Butter
- 3 pc cloves of garlic
- 180 g cucumber
- 80 ml soy cream yoghurt or sheep's milk yoghurt
- 7 pc spring onion
- 200 g pork fillet
- some majoram
- bunch fresh thyme
- some Oregano
- 6 tbs oliv oil
- some red pepper
- some lemon zest
- pinch salt
- some pepper
- Prepare potatoes as a side dish, boil 3-4 small potatoes per person in salted water as required, peel and place in a pot with a little butter to keep warm. Prepare bread to taste in some olive oil with a clove of garlic roasted.
- Place the sliced cucumbers in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the soy cream and marinate.
- Finely chop the garlic, add some salt and press to taste. Add some garlic to the cucumber and mix well. Add the rest of the garlic to the meat.
- Cut the spring onions into fine rings and place in a bowl. Clean the fillet of pork and cut it into 5 mm thick slices, free of tendons.
- Finely chop a good tablespoon of freshly plucked marjoram, thyme and oregano.
- Fry meat in a pan without fat on both sides over high heat. Remove pan from heat, add onions and garlic, season with pepper, salt and pepper and add olive oil. Grate some lemon peel into the pan, add herbs and let the Gyros pan stand at moderate heat and infuse.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper and arrange on warmed plates, mix Tsatsiki - cucumber salad again and place in small bowls to the potatoes on the plate.
- Season the gyros pan again with salt, pepper and olive oil and place on the plate. Decorate to taste with tomato halves and fresh onions and serve.