OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I present you my recipe Chef Sauerbraten. Sauerbraten is a popular stew dish in Germany.
This article deals with roast beef, prepared as sauerbraten.
The Sauerbraten is prepared regionally also with horse meat, game meat or like with Rheinischer Pepse with pork meat. In Bavaria, sour roast beef is called Boeuf á la mode.
In this article I will answer the most important questions about traditional preparation and wish you every success!
1. How to make a good Sauerbraten?
For a good sauerbraten you get the beef please at least 5 days before the preparation. The big secret of sauerbraten preparation is to pickle the meat in a marinade of red wine, vinegar, bay leaf, cloves, peppercorns, onion, garlic and root vegetables. The pickle of the sauerbraten I describe in the next paragraph:
2. How to Put in a Sauerbraten correctly?
The meat is in the refrigerator, then you can prepare the meat stain now: Please use a high-quality, dry red wine, I personally like to use a Pinot Noir or a matured Rioja (not German :-)). As vinegar you can bring red wine vinegar or a matured, old balsamic vinegar into play. Prepare the “Beize” or “Marinade” with the listed ingredients and place the meat in the cooled marinade. The meat must be completely covered with marinade and should be “marinated” in a cool place for 4-7 days.
3. What Kind of Meat for Sauerbraten?
For sauerbraten, pieces of meat that are suitable for braising are generally suitable. For the sauerbraten I usually use the flat beef shoulder, which is also called shovel bow. I learned this 25 years ago from a bavarian Star Chef and I think there is no better meat for the Sauerbraten. Likewise you can use beef hip, tail piece, tail role or also leg disks for the sauerbraten.
4. How do I prepare a sauerbraten properly?
I start with the sauerbraten preparation one week and one day before the sauerbraten meal. The meat is bought, the marinade (stain) is prepared, the meat may be made 7 days a free float in the marinade and assume the taste of the marinade. The day before the sauerbraten meal I remove the meat from the marinade, as well as the vegetables. First preheat the oven to 180°C hot air. Brown the meat in a high roaster from all sides, then take it out of the roaster. Then fry the vegetables and tomato them with a little tomato paste. The tomato paste should take on a dark brown colour. Please have a look at the photos while preparing the veal stock. Now put the meat back to the vegetables and deglaze with the marinade. The meat should be completely covered and may now with lid in the preheated oven. Here is another insider tip:
In addition to the marinate of the pot roast, star chefs add at least 30% veal stock for braising.
Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C and cook the sauerbraten for a good 1.5-2 hours until soft. Check the cooking degree of the meat by piercing it with a meat fork. If the meat yields slightly when pierced, the sauerbraten is ready. Allow the meat to cool, pass the sauce through a sieve and reduce as desired or bind with grated potato or starch mixed in cold water. Cut the cooled meat into slices and prepare the side dishes for frying. Heat the meat in the sauce and serve with side dishes!
5. Recipe German Sauerbraten – Marinated Pot Roast and Tips for Side Dishes
As side dishes and additions go well with sauerbraten: Potato dumplings, bread dumplings, napkin dumplings, spaetzle, ribbon noodles, mashed potatoes, celery puree, finger noodles, red cabbage or german blue cabbage, glazed carrots, savoy cabbage, Brussels sprouts, peas, glazed root vegetables, cranberries, raisins, glazed apple pieces.
Varieties of Sauerbraten: The recipe below can be completed with cream fraiche and raisins. Another recipe shows how to prepare roast beef in a pot.
- 1 kg beef shoulder meat to braise/meat to stew
- 1 bunch soup vegetables
- 1 pc garlic
- 2 pc onions
- 1 L red wine
- 0,5 L water
- 150 ml red wine vinegar I like to use Balsamico
- 8 pc peppercorns
- 5 pc bay leaf
- 3 pc cloves
- 5 pc juniper berries
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp clarified butter
- 300 ml veal stock
- 1 tsp salt
- PREPARATION: Clean the meat from the butcher and let it clean. Wash the meat and pat dry. Wash the soup vegetables consisting of carrots, celery, parsley roots and leek. Peel the root vegetables and cut them into pieces, cut the leek into leaves. Peel the garlic and the onions and make available.
- PREPARATION: Boil all the vegetables, herbs, aromatics and garlic in a large pot with red wine, water and red wine vinegar.
- Season the sauerbratenmarinade with sugar and leave to cool. Place the prepared meat in the pot and marinate for 4-7 days in the refrigerator. Turn the meat several times a day in the marinade.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry. Preheat the oven to 180°C at top and bottom heat. Brown the meat in a large roaster with the clarified butter, then add the marinade with the vegetables and bring to the boil. Alternatively you can roast the vegetables brown as described in the article above. The browning of the vegetables will make the sauce more powerful later.
- Cook the sauerbraten in the oven for 1.5-2 hours until soft. Check the cooking degree of the meat by piercing it with a meat fork. Remove the meat from the gravy and reduce the sauce to the desired thickness on the stove. Pass the sauce through a fine sieve.
- Either serve the roast directly or let it cool down as described in the article and then cut it open and warm it up in the sauce. Good success!
6. Nutritional values and calories
7. Similar Recipes with BeefYou can find more suitable recipes on my website... German beef roast marinated
Boefflamott - Bœuf à la mode bavarian braised beef roast
Beef roulades recipe
German Roast Beef – Fried Beef with Onions in Gravy named „Zwiebelrostbraten“
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Beef Recipes
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Main Courses Recipes
- Meat Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German