OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Fried trout fillet, the recipe for gourmets who spend a little more time in the kitchen and like to cook. My recipe trout filets crispy fried on root vegetables with thyme potatoes and horseradish sauce is a real dream and anyone who cooks it will conjure a culinary pleasure on the table. The tip for inexperienced cooking enthusiasts right from the start: please have your fish dealer prepare the trout fillets, including plucked bones. This would have saved you a good 50% of the work and the rest of the preparation is pure cooking pleasure. Here my step by step guide with video, I hope you cook this up and share the post with your friends on Facebook.
- 1. Prepare Trout Fillets
- 2. Side Dishes for fried Trout Fillet
- 3. Horseradish Sauce for Fish
- 4. Roast Fish Fillet with Skin
- 5. Fry Fish Fillets with Skin when Guests arrive
- 6. Video Trout Fillet fried with Root Vegetables, Potatoes and Horseradish Sauce
- 7. Recipe Fried Trout Fillet with Side Dishes
- 8. Calories Trout Fillet fried, the Nutritional Values
- 9. What suits this Dish - a Menu Suggestion?
1. Prepare Trout Fillets
Get fresh, cleaned and boned trout fillets. If you would like to do this yourself, I have prepared a video for you here. I show filleting the gutted trout:
Sorry for the camera work, because I am a camera child and a cook at the same time, it is not always easy. I think, however, that the essential is to be recognized.
2. Side Dishes for fried Trout Fillet
For this recipe I serve small potatoes, which are boiled and peeled, then tossed in some foamed butter. I season my jacket potatoes with salt, pepper, some nutmeg and thyme. I like the fragrant thyme very much, it is a good alternative to the usual parsley.
Root vegetables are the second side dish of the fried trout fillet. I like to use a bunch of soup vegetables, I have everything I need, colorfully mixed. Carrot, yellow beet, some leek and celery are my root vegetables side dish to the trout fillet. I cut the vegetables into fine Julienne. These are fine vegetable sticks that cook quite quickly. For the vegetable julienne I have discovered a special vegetable slicer, this is a peeler that does not produce strips, but fine match vegetables. Cook the vegetables in some broth until al dente. You can then use this broth to prepare the sauce.
3. Horseradish Sauce for Fish
Classically prepared it works as follows: Finely dice an onion or two shallots and sauté in a pot with a little butter (50 g) and bay leaf for 5-10 minutes until colourless. Add some flour (one teaspoon, spread) and sweat for a minute, then add 80 ml dry white wine, add vegetable stock (250 ml), finish with 100-150 ml cream and grated horseradish. Pass the sauce through a fine sieve, season to taste with salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little cayenne pepper. The sauce is mixed with 25 g of cold butter before it is applied to the plate and is therefore very frothy. I show the fast variant of this horseradish sauce in the recipe at the end of the page.
4. Roast Fish Fillet with Skin
I will now briefly describe how I fry the fish fillets: the bones have been removed from the fillets, washed off and dried. The fish fillets are fried either with flour or without flour. Shortly before roasting, salt and pepper are seasoned on both sides. The variant with flour: Place the spiced fish fillet with the skin side in flour, preheat a coated pan and add a little sunflower oil to the pan and spread. Remove the fish fillets from the flour, shake off and place the skin side into the hot pan. Reduce the temperature to about 2/3 or half. The fish fillets should fry 90% of the time on the skin, making it crispy. The fish fillet should not fry dry, by the addition of flour you must add possibly still some oil.
Your side dishes and sauce should be ready by this time, plates are in the oven and are preheated. You can watch the fish fillet lying in the pan on the skin side while cooking, the top of the fillet slowly gets cooked and changes colour towards white. Before serving, the crispy fried fish fillet is briefly turned once – that’s enough. You can also fry the fish fillets without flour, that’s what we did at Alfons Schuhbeck. Another alternative to flour is starch, which is used in gluten-free diets as a flour substitute in the case of fish felts.
5. Fry Fish Fillets with Skin when Guests arrive
I’d like to see that at the perfect dinner, here unfortunately the cooking skills vary from rare top class to complete culinary failure. Who prepares fish fillets for guests should read these instructions carefully: The fish fillets are fried before the guests arrive. You prepare a cold baking tray for yourself, the fish fillets are freed from the bones, washed and dried. Heat the pan and add some sunflower oil to the pan. Do not season the fish fillets! Place the fish fillets in the pan, skin side down, and cook until crispy on a low heat. For trout, this takes a maximum of two minutes. The fish meat on the top of the fillet should still be raw. Now quickly remove the fish fillets from the pan and place them on the baking tray with the skin side facing up.
Let the fish cool, cook and prepare the side dishes and sauce. If the fish course can march, season the trout fillets with salt and pepper, under the preheated grill at 250°C top rack height about 2-3 minutes to finish cooking. Please stay there and watch! Well-prepared fish is not cooked dry but inside glassy, the skin should be crispy. I hope the tutorial helps to get enthusiasm on the table!
6. Video Trout Fillet fried with Root Vegetables, Potatoes and Horseradish Sauce
7. Recipe Fried Trout Fillet with Side Dishes
- 200 ml chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 6 pc jacket potatoes
- 30 g Butter
- 200 g soup vegetables
- any thyme
- any nutmeg
- any garlic
- 100 ml soy cream or cream
- 50 ml white wine
- 4 pc trout fillets
- 2 tbs. cornflour
- 3 tbs. sun flower oil
- 4 tbs. horseradish
- Place the chicken broth or vegetable broth in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Place the boiled, peeled potatoes in a pan with a little butter and heat slowly.
- Cut the soup vegetables into fine Julienne and bring to the boil with half of the chicken stock in an extra pot.
- Add the thyme plucked with some crushed garlic to the potatoes and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the remaining chicken broth or vegetable broth with cream, white wine and horseradish to the horseradish sauce and bring to the boil.
- Bind the horseradish sauce with some cornflour stirred in cold water. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix with a hand blender.
- Swing the potatoes in the pan again and again and heat them evenly. Prepare a pan with a little oil and heat.
- Place the trout fillets in the cornflour with the skin side down, then place in the prepared hot pan with the skin side down.
- Season prepared vegetable julienne with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Finish the horseradish sauce: Mix with cold butter, season to taste with a little more horseradish, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Turn the crispy fried trout fillets once, add a little butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange Julienne vegetables without vegetable juice on warm plates, pour butter over trout fillets and add potatoes.
- Add the freshly foamed horseradish sauce, decorate with thyme and some horseradish and serve quickly.
8. Calories Trout Fillet fried, the Nutritional Values
9. What suits this Dish - a Menu Suggestion?Recommendation for a Bavarian Menu for guests: You can serve a bear's garlic soup or a colourful lettuce salad, for dessert an Apple Strudel - Apfelstrudel is a good choice.
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Bavarian Cuisine
- Christmas Recipes
- Fish & Seafood
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Main Courses Recipes
- Recipes with Cooking Videos from Thomas Sixt
OTHER LANGUAGES: German