Today I’ll show you my French toast recipe. In Germany we know the baked toast slices as poor knights.
The Swiss call the baked toast Fotzelschnitten… In Austria the sweet, filled white bread slices are called Pofesen. These are many names for a fasting dish.
Prepare French toast for breakfast, serve the sweet slices as a main course during Lent.
French toast is a great cake substitute for coffee gossip. In gourmet restaurants French toast, prepared with brioche, has already been eaten as Desssert.
Here are my cooking tips for preparing fantastic French toast.
I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
1. French Toast Shopping List
You need for the French toast in my way the following ingredients …
- A baker’s toast or a brioche made of yeast dough
- Jam to fill
- Butter or clarified butter
- Icing sugar and cinnamon
- Mint as decoration
If you find a brioche at the bakery or supermarket, be sure to try the French toast with the yeast pastry. This is very, very delicious!
2. French toast with jam or without jam or fill with chocolate cream
I know two varieties of French toast: Filled or unfilled.
2.1 Fill French Toast
If you want to fill French toast you can use jam or chocolate cream.
Place two slices of bread on the work surface, brush the bread halves with whisked egg.
Then center the desired filling on the bread slices and fold together.
Pull the filled bread slices quite quickly through the egg-cream mixture and put them directly into the hot pan and bake.
2.2 French toast unfilled
In this variant, you pull the bread slices directly through the egg-cream mixture and then quickly place the bread slices in the pan.
After baking, sprinkle the French toast with icing sugar and cinnamon. Pistachios look good in colour… Then serve maple syrup, jam, chocolate cream, fresh fruit or yoghurt as an extra.
3. The most important tip for preparing French Toast
If you bring toast bread or brioche with eggs and cream together, the bread immediately absorbs full. This quickly makes the bread unstable and can break easily. Therefore the following is important:
For French toast, make sure you have all the ingredients ready before moistening the toast, preheat the pan and work quickly!
Please pay attention to the temperature when baking the French toast. Connoisseurs swear by the use of butter, but sometimes it gets too hot in the pan.
As an alternative to butter, you can simply use clarified butter. Butter lard is heat resistant and tastes just as delicious!
4. French Toast Recipe
Following my recipe with the exact quantities. I wish you success and look forward to your questions and comments…
- 8 pc toast slices I like to use toast or brioche or gluten-free toast
- 4 tbsp jam I like to use plums or apricot jam
- 3-4 pc eggs
- 2 tbsp cream
- 40 g Butter or clarified butter
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar/ icing sugar
- 4 pinches cinnamon
- 1/2 bunch mint Optional as refreshing decoration
- Place the toast slices or brioche slices on a kitchen board. Beat the eggs in a bowl and whisk with a fork. Brush the white bread slices with the egg.
- Coat the toast slices with egg.
- Apply the jam to the middle of the toast slices, then close with a second slice of toast. Press the sides down well so that the filling is well sealed. Fill all French-Tost bread slices accordingly and prepare.
- Place a coated pan on the hob and heat. Add the butter or clarified butter to the pan.
- Mix the eggs with a little cream. The cream makes the French toast softer and more pleasant in taste.
- Quickly dip the prepared, filled French toast slices into the egg-cream mixture and immediately place in the hot pan.
- Bake the French toast slices at medium heat on both sides until light brown.
- Remove the baked French toast slices from the pan, halve and arrange. Serve the French toast sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon. You can also sprinkle pistachio chips to taste. Enjoy your meal!