OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my recipe for Fondue. The New Year’s Eve fondue tastes great with vegetables, fish, seafood or meat. In recent times, a vegetarian fondue with tofu, baked cheese and lots of vegetables is a good choice! At best, a successful fondue is accompanied by many tasty cold sauces.
Classic sauces such as chive sauce, remoulade sauce combined with exotic chutneys or fiery dips make the palate dance. Here you can finde Fondue Sauces and Raclette Sauces…
The fondue is a real classic for New Year’s Eve. The advantage is obvious: no one has to stand alone in the kitchen after the preparations. The guests put together their fondue menu according to their own taste at the table. As a great addition, I present you with an idea for a fondue dessert.
When the pot is boiling, the time has come for relaxed conversations. My contribution brings the fondue preparation to the point and answers the question which fondue is right for you. Go directly to Fondue Recipe and Fondue shopping list…
- 1. Fondue with Broth
- 2. Fondue with Fat
- 3. Fondue Side Dishes
- 4. Ideas for the Meat Fondue
- 5. Ideas for the Fish Fondue
- 6. Vegetarian Fondue
- 7. Cheese Fondue
- 8. Recipe for Fondue
- 9. Dispose of Fondue Fat
- 10. Further Recipe for Fondue
- 11. Calories Fondue
1. Fondue with Broth
Advantage: Healthy and no fat odor
Disadvantage: It takes longer
The fondue with broth is the healthiest fondue variant for New Year’s Eve. It therefore certainly fits in with the good resolutions for the New Year! The ingredients boil or poach in the hot broth. Fish, meat or vegetarian, everything is possible and depending on the diet of the guests several fondue pots are announced.
The basis for the fondue with broth is a beef broth, a fish broth or a vegetable broth. You can season the respective broth with classic European or Asian spices. The Asian version of the soup fondue is called “Feuertopf”. Refine your broth for a fire pot with soy sauce, sesame oil, shiitake mushrooms, ginger, anise and garlic.
Note: Seafood and vegetables cook quickly in the hot soup. Cut the meat as small as possible, thin slices of meat or strips are ideal, which can be easily skewered or cooked evenly fast in the basket.
The cooking of the ingredients in the soup makes it very powerful in taste. Hold back some fresh herbs to enjoy the soup at the end of the evening with freshly cut herbs.
2. Fondue with Fat
Advantage: Fast cooking of ingredients, roasted taste
Disadvantage: odour of fat and limited health, possibly dangerous
For a classic meat and vegetable fondue you use hot fat. Refined rapeseed oil, sunflower oil or tasteless coconut fat is ideal.
The fat fondue is not harmless. Your table should be stable, the fondue pot should only be half filled with hot fat or oil. For some it sounds exaggerated, I recommend to have an additional fire blanket ready to hand, because some New Year’s Eve has not only burned down the old year. As a small safety measure, there is a lid matching the pot. If the fat becomes too hot or ignites, the pot can be quickly closed with a lid. Fat fires must not be extinguished with water, because here the hot fat splashes in all directions and extreme burns can develop.
When using fondue with fat and oil, please pay attention to the temperature. The temperature range of 170°C +-10 degrees Celsius has proved its worth.
The tasty part of the classic fondue with fat is quickly explained: When frying in hot fat, the fondue ingredients are cooked tasty and evenly.
You can also prepare a baking dough for dipping the ingredients. Fish and seafood, meat and tofu, fruit for fondue dessert… You can dip all these ingredients into the dough and then fry them deliciously crispy in hot oil.
3. Fondue Side Dishes
Below are a few tips for a great New Year’s Eve fondue:
3.1 Bread and pastries with fondue
Rich with fondue fresh crispy and warm baguette or a garlic baguette a herb baguette or homemade pizza bread. If you want to take a little more time, you can use puff pastry to make small cheese appetizers or puff pastry sticks with sesame seeds.
Colourful leaf salads, potato salad, cucumber salad, cabbage salad, tomato salad, bean salad, general antipasti from the glass: Dried and pickled tomatoes, mixed pickles, pickled gherkins, artichokes in addition, a noodle salad is a good accompaniment to fondue.
3.3 Fondue Sauces
A selection of cold sauces for fondue will enrich your fondue with different flavours. Here you can find my article about fondue sauces.
4. Ideas for the Meat Fondue
Suitable are: Turkey meat, chicken breast meat, beef fillet, quail breast, duck breast, chicken liver, duck liver, beef liver… In general, all types of meat and offal that are served fried for a short time. Please generally cut the liver into small slices and clean well beforehand, otherwise the liver will splash the fat.
5. Ideas for the Fish Fondue
Saithe fillet, salmon fillet, plaice rolled, sole rolled, shrimps (raw, grey colour!), seafood mix, octopus and blanched mussels.
6. Vegetarian Fondue
You would like to prepare a contemporary vegetarian fondue, here are my tips:
- Instead of meat you can use raw tofu and raw smoked tofu (soup fondue).
- Bread tofu in flour, egg and breadcrumbs (fat fondue)
- Bread Tofu in Sesame and Cornflakes (Fat Fondue)
- Breaded sheep cheese (fat fondue)
- Falafel balls based on chickpea flour
- Generally prepare a baking dough, so all vegetarian ingredients are baked in the dough and put on the table.
- Vegetable ideas: Broccoli prepared in florets, peppers in pieces, mushrooms such as mushrooms, zucchini slices, eggplant slices, fennel, potato in slices or cubes,…
Special tip! Fondue Dessert – prepare more baking dough and fruit in the baking dough as fondue dessert…
7. Cheese Fondue
It is still to be mentioned briefly: The cheese fondue is a speciality from Switzerland. The cheese fondue is prepared in a special ceramic pot. Cheese fondue sets are available on the market for this purpose. The cheese fondue preparation I will show next in another article.
8. Recipe for Fondue
Sitting together in a convivial circle and enjoying, that’s what a fondue offers. Here is my recipe with shopping tips.
- 1 KG Fish and seafood salmon, plaice, cod, prawns, mussels
- 1 l vegetable broth or fish stock
- 800 g fat Optional instead of broth
- 1 KG Meat chicken, turkey, fillet of beef, duck breast, more ideas see article
- 1 L beef broth or start with vegetable broth
- 800 g fat Optional instead of broth
- 250 g Tofu
- 250 g smoked tofu
- 200 g Feta sheep cheese
- 200 g Falafel-Instant
- 4 Stück eggs
- 100 g cornflour
- 100 g breadcrumbs there's also gluten-free!
- 80 g Sesam
- 1-2 TL herbs Thyme or rosemary
- 800 g fat
- 100 g flour also successful with gluten-free flour
- 1-2 Stück eggs
- 80-100 ml milk Optionally beer or wine for beer dough/wine dough
- 200 g mushrooms
- 2 Stück Zucchini
- 1 Stück Broccoli
- 3 Stück paprika peppers yellow, red, green
- 1 Stück fennel
- 4 Stück potatoes
- 1 Stück eggplant
- 500 g Fruits by season banana, apple, plum, ....
- 1 bunch fresh herbs chives or parsley
- Fish Fondue: Defrost and dry deep-frozen ingredients, place fish fillets in bowls, cut into cubes, clean shrimps and remove intestines on top. Cover all fish and seafood ingredients and refrigerate in the fridge until fondue evening.
- Meat Fondue: Have the meat cleaned by the butcher or meat, cut into strips or slices in the kitchen at home and place in bowls or on plates. Cover the meat and put it in the fridge until evening.
- Cut the tofu and smoked tofu into 2 cm large cubes, bread half of the tofu to taste with flour, egg and sesame seeds. Cut the sheep's cheese into cubes and bread with flour, egg, breadcrumbs and herbs. Mix the instant falafel according to the recipe on the packaging and then form small falafel balls. Place all ingredients on plates in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the pastry by mixing all the ingredients and keeping the dough cold.
- To prepare the fondue sauces see the article Fondue sauces at the end of the recipe.
- Clean and prepare the vegetables, put the vegetables in a cool place.
- Set the table and prepare the fondue.
9. Dispose of Fondue FatAfter the fondue, please do not pour the grease residues into the sink or toilet. The fat would block the drain pipes! Allow the fat to cool completely, then dispose of in the household waste.
10. Further Recipe for FonduePotato Salad Recipes Coleslaw Fondue sauces
11. Calories FondueThe nutritional values are calculated for the vegetarian fondue.
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Christmas Recipes
- Fish & Seafood
- Meat Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German