Fondue – Classic for New Year’s Eve
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Fondue with BrothAdvantage: Healthy and no fat odor Disadvantage: It takes longer The fondue with broth is the healthiest fondue variant for New Year’s Eve. It therefore certainly fits in with the good resolutions for the New Year! The ingredients boil or poach in the hot broth. Fish, meat or vegetarian, everything is possible and depending on the diet of the guests several fondue pots are announced. The basis for the fondue with broth is a beef broth, a fish broth or a vegetable broth. You can season the respective broth with classic European or Asian spices. The Asian version of the soup fondue is called “Feuertopf”. Refine your broth for a fire pot with soy sauce, sesame oil, shiitake mushrooms, ginger, anise and garlic. Note: Seafood and vegetables cook quickly in the hot soup. Cut the meat as small as possible, thin slices of meat or strips are ideal, which can be easily skewered or cooked evenly fast in the basket. The cooking of the ingredients in the soup makes it very powerful in taste. Hold back some fresh herbs to enjoy the soup at the end of the evening with freshly cut herbs. Vegetable stock, fish stock or beef broth is the ideal basis for the soup fondue.
2. Fondue with FatAdvantage: Fast cooking of ingredients, roasted taste Disadvantage: odour of fat and limited health, possibly dangerous For a classic meat and vegetable fondue you use hot fat. Refined rapeseed oil, sunflower oil or tasteless coconut fat is ideal. The fat fondue is not harmless. Your table should be stable, the fondue pot should only be half filled with hot fat or oil. For some it sounds exaggerated, I recommend to have an additional fire blanket ready to hand, because some New Year’s Eve has not only burned down the old year. As a small safety measure, there is a lid matching the pot. If the fat becomes too hot or ignites, the pot can be quickly closed with a lid. Fat fires must not be extinguished with water, because here the hot fat splashes in all directions and extreme burns can develop. When using fondue with fat and oil, please pay attention to the temperature. The temperature range of 170°C +-10 degrees Celsius has proved its worth. The tasty part of the classic fondue with fat is quickly explained: When frying in hot fat, the fondue ingredients are cooked tasty and evenly. You can also prepare a baking dough for dipping the ingredients. Fish and seafood, meat and tofu, fruit for fondue dessert… You can dip all these ingredients into the dough and then fry them deliciously crispy in hot oil. Backteig (batter for deep-frying) is an exciting addition to fondue with fat! Vegetables and mushrooms can be wonderfully fried in the dough wrapped in hot fat. Dip the vegetables in the batter, then fry in the hot fat fondue.
3. Fondue Side DishesBelow are a few tips for a great New Year’s Eve fondue:
3.1 Bread and pastries with fondueRich with fondue fresh crispy and warm baguette or a garlic baguette a herb baguette or homemade pizza bread. If you want to take a little more time, you can use puff pastry to make small cheese appetizers or puff pastry sticks with sesame seeds. Even baked bread makes the fondue a feast! Fresh bread dough can also be baked in hot fat. If you don’t want to make the dough yourself, use pizza dough or puff pastry for fried bread!
3.2 SaladsColourful leaf salads, potato salad, cucumber salad, cabbage salad, tomato salad, bean salad, general antipasti from the glass: Dried and pickled tomatoes, mixed pickles, pickled gherkins, artichokes in addition, a noodle salad is a good accompaniment to fondue. Cucumber salad, tomato salad and other salads go perfectly with fondue fun! Cabbage salad tastes excellent with fondue!
3.3 Fondue SaucesA selection of cold sauces for fondue will enrich your fondue with different flavours. Here you can find my article about fondue sauces. Cocktail sauce and other cold sauces recipes based on mayonnaise harmonize well with fondue.
4. Ideas for the Meat FondueSuitable are: Turkey meat, chicken breast meat, beef fillet, quail breast, duck breast, chicken liver, duck liver, beef liver… In general, all types of meat and offal that are served fried for a short time. Please generally cut the liver into small slices and clean well beforehand, otherwise the liver will splash the fat. Turkey and chicken meat with fondue. Cut the meat into strips or thin slices.
5. Ideas for the Fish FondueSaithe fillet, salmon fillet, plaice rolled, sole rolled, shrimps (raw, grey colour!), seafood mix, octopus and blanched mussels. You can fry colourful seafood raw or with batter in a fat fondue. For the fish soup fondue use baskets or skewer raw. Prawns are excellent for fondue with fat and fondue with broth. It is best to use grey, raw shrimps.
6. Vegetarian FondueYou would like to prepare a contemporary vegetarian fondue, here are my tips:
- Instead of meat you can use raw tofu and raw smoked tofu (soup fondue).
- Bread tofu in flour, egg and breadcrumbs (fat fondue)
- Bread Tofu in Sesame and Cornflakes (Fat Fondue)
- Breaded sheep cheese (fat fondue)
- Falafel balls based on chickpea flour
- Generally prepare a baking dough, so all vegetarian ingredients are baked in the dough and put on the table.
- Vegetable ideas: Broccoli prepared in florets, peppers in pieces, mushrooms such as mushrooms, zucchini slices, eggplant slices, fennel, potato in slices or cubes,…
Sheep’s cheese balls fried in hot fat and breaded with thyme and breadcrumbs taste great. Special tip! Fondue Dessert – prepare more baking dough and fruit in the baking dough as fondue dessert…Classic winter fruits 🙂 Mini bananas, plums, apples and pears are all suitable for baking in the batter…
7. Cheese FondueIt is still to be mentioned briefly: The cheese fondue is a speciality from Switzerland. The cheese fondue is prepared in a special ceramic pot. Cheese fondue sets are available on the market for this purpose. The cheese fondue preparation I will show next in another article.
8. Recipe for FondueSitting together in a convivial circle and enjoying, that’s what a fondue offers. Here is my recipe with shopping tips.
Fondue - Classic for New Year's Eve
Fondue ideas and recipe for fat fondue or soup fondue with meat, fish, seafood and vegetarian
|1||KG||Fish and seafood (salmon, plaice, cod, prawns, mussels)|
|1||l||Vegetable broth (or fish stock)|
|800||g||fat (Optional instead of broth)|
|1||KG||Meat (chicken, turkey, fillet of beef, duck breast, more ideas see article)|
|1||L||Beef broth (or start with vegetable broth)|
|800||g||fat (Optional instead of broth)|
|200||g||Feta sheep cheese|
|100||g||breadcrumbs (there's also gluten-free!)|
|1-2||TL||Herbs (Thyme or rosemary)|
|100||g||Flour (also successful with gluten-free flour)|
|80-100||ml||Milk (Optionally beer or wine for beer dough/wine dough)|
|3||Stück||paprika peppers (yellow, red, green)|
|500||g||Fruits by season (banana, apple, plum, ....)|
For the soup
|1||bunch||fresh herbs (chives or parsley)|
Fish Fondue: Defrost and dry deep-frozen ingredients, place fish fillets in bowls, cut into cubes, clean shrimps and remove intestines on top. Cover all fish and seafood ingredients and refrigerate in the fridge until fondue evening.
Meat Fondue: Have the meat cleaned by the butcher or meat, cut into strips or slices in the kitchen at home and place in bowls or on plates. Cover the meat and put it in the fridge until evening.
Cut the tofu and smoked tofu into 2 cm large cubes, bread half of the tofu to taste with flour, egg and sesame seeds. Cut the sheep’s cheese into cubes and bread with flour, egg, breadcrumbs and herbs. Mix the instant falafel according to the recipe on the packaging and then form small falafel balls. Place all ingredients on plates in the refrigerator.
Prepare the pastry by mixing all the ingredients and keeping the dough cold.
To prepare the fondue sauces see the article Fondue sauces at the end of the recipe.
Clean and prepare the vegetables, put the vegetables in a cool place.
Set the table and prepare the fondue.
9. Dispose of Fondue Fat
After the fondue, please do not pour the grease residues into the sink or toilet. The fat would block the drain pipes! Allow the fat to cool completely, then dispose of in the household waste.
10. Further Recipe for Fondue
11. Calories Fondue
The nutritional values are calculated for the vegetarian fondue.