I would like to present you my fennel vegetable recipe here. Fennel as a super side dish or as the main actor on the plate is quick to prepare and something special.
Fennel is healthy: the umbellifer was therefore named medicinal plant of the year in 2009.
As an eternal classic of Italian cuisine, it has long led a rather niche existence in Germany. Wrongly so! With its subtle aniseed note, it is an ingenious accompaniment to fish or meat, and with its finely pronounced flavour it also does well on its own on the plate.
We are now celebrating the renaissance of fennel bulbs in the kitchen. I show you the perfect preparation step by step with a cooking video. I wish you good luck and bon appétit!
1. Preparing fennel vegetables fresh, the cooking pro tips…
For a wonderful fragrant fennel meal I have written down the following advice for you:
- Buy fresh, firm and juicy fennel bulbs.
- The skin should not appear dry or brown anywhere.
- Cut off the cabbage of the fennel bulb only after washing it.
- Put the cabbage aside. It is wonderful fresh for decoration and seasoning.
- The fennel bulb has different thicknesses – you should adjust the cooking times accordingly. The thicker part of the bulb takes longer 🙂
- You can slice or shave.
- You can quarter the bulb and cut it down finely.
- You can cut the stalks and the upper part of the tuber into fine rings.
- You need salt, pepper, sugar, optional nutmeg.
- Butter or ghee is a good choice, you can also use olive oil!
The fresher the fennel bulb, the more you can use. Save the fennel for decoration, you can juice the rest!Preparation tip from chef Thomas Sixt
2. Fennel vegetables recipe
Below you will find the exact ingredients and step by step instructions with lots of photos.
By the way, you can send me a cooking question directly via the comment function!
- 250 g fennel I use organic vegetables
- 1/4 tsp salt I use primal salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp sugar I use brown cane sugar
- 4-6 pinches pepper black, ground
- 1 tbs oliv oil
- 30 g butter I like to use ghee
- 4 pinches nutmeg I use optional
- 1/2 tsp red pepper optional, so-called Schinus fruits
- 1 tbs pine nuts optional
- First, toast the pine nuts briefly in a little oil. Then put them in a bowl and season with salt. Prepare for serving.
- Wash and dry the fennel, remove the outer layer depending on its condition. Now decide on the type of cut: you can cut fine strips, eighths or oblong slices. Diced is an additional option.
- Fry the fennel slices or eighths of fennel in a pan without oil over a high heat on all sides.
- I then sautéed thinly sliced fennel cabbage in the pan as well, adding a little oil.
- Season the sautéed vegetables with salt, pepper, nutmeg and sugar and caramelise lightly.
- Arrange the vegetables, decorate with fennel fronds and optionally sprinkle with red pepper or a little chilli. Serve quickly, bon appétit!
3. Calories and nutritional values
4. Ideas for seasoning fennel vegetables
You can vary the vegetables in many different ways and refine them individually. Here you will find some tips and ideas:
|Walnuts||Add fresh or caramelised walnuts.|
|Walnut butter||Coat roasted vegetables with walnuts and butter.|
|Almonds||Serve with toasted almonds.|
|Almond butter||Chopped or grated almonds with butter and parsley.|
|Cashew||Add chopped or whole cashews.|
|Sesame||Sprinkle on at the end, light and dark sesame seeds look and taste great!|
|Turmeric||Cook in turmeric until soft.|
|Saffron||Sauté the vegetables and then cook in the fennel stock.|
|Curry||Season exotically with curry, butter and sugar.|
|Pomegranate seeds||Fold in just before serving, it's a visual kick and super healthy!|
|Soy sauce||Glaze with a little sauce at the end over high heat, please use little to no salt!|
|Goji berries, dates or sultanas||Sauté the vegetables and serve with dried fruits.|
|Cream or soy cream||Cook in cream until soft and reduce.|
|Butter crumbs||Toast the breadcrumbs with butter and coat the vegetables with them.|
5. What fennel vegetables go with
As a classic side dish, this vegetable goes well with: