Here I show you my fennel salad recipe. This salad is healthy, quick to make and incredibly tasty.
My fennel salad has a spicy, subtle taste and thrives on contrasts: aniseed-spicy fennel versus sweet, juicy orange – full-fruity orange versus red pepper – nutty pine nuts versus roasted fennel.
So you’re in for some taste explosions: let yourself be surprised and carried away by the culinary delights.
Directly from my kitchen, I now show you how to prepare it with great pictures and a cooking video. Enjoy cooking and good luck!
1. Prepare fennel salad fresh, the cooking pro tips and shopping list
For a wonderful smelling vegetable salad I have summarised the following advice for you:
- Get very fresh, firm and juicy fennel bulbs.
- The fennel bulb should be intact with no dry or brown spots.
- The cabbage of the fennel bulb should appear crisp green overall.
- You will still need juicy oranges for this vegetable salad variation.
- Spices: Do you have salt, pepper, brown sugar and chilli in your kitchen cupboard?
- Think about pine nuts, cashews or walnuts.
- A good quality old balsamic vinegar and olive oil for the marinade.
You can use the fresh fennel bulb completely, leftover fennel tastes great juiced!Preparation tip from chef Thomas Sixt
2. Recipe fennel salad
Below you will find the exact ingredients and step by step instructions with lots of photos.
By the way, you can send me a cooking question directly via the comment function!
- 250 g fennel I use organic vegetables
- 1/4 tsp salt I use primal salt or Himalayan salt
- 4-6 pinches black pepper grounded
- 1 tsp sugar I use brown cane sugar
- 2 pc oranges
- 1 tbs balsamico gold variant 10 years and older
- 1 tbs oliv oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper optional, sog. Schinus Früchte
- 1 tbs pine nuts optional
- Cut off the top and bottom 🙂 of the oranges and remove the skin with the white by making a diagonal cut. Hold the peeled orange in your hand and cut out the orange fillets over a bowl. Collect the orange juice in the bowl and keep the fillets ready. I show you how to fillet oranges in detail in a cooking school article with a cooking video.
- Briefly roast the pine nuts in a little oil. Then put them in a bowl and season with salt. Set aside for serving.
- Wash and dry the fennel bulb, remove the outer layer from the fennel depending on its condition. Opt for a fine cut here, fine strips and slices are just right! Use a slicer or a sharp knife.
- Sauté a few slices of fennel in a pan without oil over a high heat and then set aside.
- Season thinly sliced fennel herb with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Knead the fennel herb vigorously with your hands and set aside.
- Reduce the orange juice in a saucepan to three tablespoons.
- Mix the orange juice with salt, pepper, sugar, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Marinate the fennel slaw with the orange balsamic dressing and arrange on a plate. Add the orange fillets and place the fried fennel slices attractively on top. Decorate with pine nuts and fennel slaw and serve sprinkled with pepper. Enjoy your meal!
3. Calories and nutritional values
4. What fennel salad goes with
This salad is excellent with fish, roast meat and poultry.