My recipe Ensaladilla Rusa shows you step by step the preparation of Spanish potato salad.
The typical tapas salad with egg, tuna, peas and mayonnaise tastes simply fantastic and conjures up a vacation feeling on the table.
Today you get a lot of ideas and variations for your home salad. Promise! The popular potato salad is an eye-catcher and succeeds fully simple.
Wish you good luck! Feel free to leave me a cooking question or kitchen gossip at the bottom of the page, thanks!
1. Ensaladilla Rusa Shopping List
For your potato salad you need the following ingredients:
- Mayonnaise homemade or from the shelf 🙂
- Pickled peppers from the jar
- Salad potatoes: firm potatoes that keep their shape
- Peas fresh or frozen
- Chicken eggs or quail eggs
- Mackerel or tuna, pickled in oil
- Olives and capers
- Thyme or rosemary fresh
- salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
You will find the exact quantities a bit further down in the recipe.
The typical potato salad goes perfectly with barbecue. I have dedicated a separate post to the olive salad.Tip from Chef Thomas Sixt
2. Recipe Ensaladilla Rusa
Here follows the instructions. Feel free to leave me a cooking question or kitchen gossip at the bottom of the page via the comment function. Please write in German or English, my Spanish is still very weak 🙂 Thanks!
- 3-4 pc eggs
- 250 g Potatoes washed, peeled
- 100 g Peas fresh or frozen
- 1 Glass Red peppers
- 6-8 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 pc. Lemon
- 1 Glass Olives Pearl onions, pickles, capers, carrots
- 2-4 Branches Rosemary or thyme
- 1 Glass Tuna in oil or mackerel
- Cut peeled, raw potatoes into 1 cm cubes.
- Boil the potato cubes in salted water.
- Get the peas ready.
- Check the cooking point of the potato cubes.
- Just before the end of the cooking time, add the peas to the potato cubes and cook until al dente.
- Drain potato cubes and peas in a sieve.
- Boil the eggs or peel already cooked eggs and cut into eighths.
- Remove bell pepper pieces from jar, dry and cut into strips or pieces.
- Prepare mayonnaise yourself or put ready-made mayo in a bowl. Add cooled potato cubes and peas, bell pepper pieces and eggs. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and a little sugar and mix gently.
- Arrange potato salad on plates, decorate with olives and rosemary, arrange tuna fillet or mackerel fillet and serve with a lemon quarter. Enjoy your meal!
3. Nutritional Information and Calories
4. Preparation Variations and Tips for Ensaladilla Rusa
Some tips for variants I promised you in the introduction. Now follow more tips for situation flexible at home salad 🙂
Variations for the mayonnaise:
You can add more garlic to the mayo. Then the salad tastes stronger and goes better with grilled food.
Stretch the mayo with crème fraîche or sour cream. It has been proven that 1/3 mayo and 2/3 dairy products. This makes the salad cream lighter and finer in taste.
Vegetarian and vegan:
Use a pure vegetable cream with soy products. With lemon juice, salt, pepper and sugar, plus a little cayenne pepper, you can create a delicious salad dressing.
Ideas for complementary vegetables insert:
Add pickles, pearl onions, carrots, and jarred capers to your salad to taste.
Did you have any broccoli left in the fridge? Simply cut into florets, boil briefly, then fry in a pan and serve with it.
Variants for fish and seafood:
In addition to tuna and mackerel, crayfish, freshly fried shrimp, and mussels are great to add to the salad.