Welcome to my new recipe Eel Soup. This is a hearty fish soup wonderfully suitable for cool weather – North German “shitweather” 🙂
In Hamburg the eel soup is called like this because “aal” or “all” is in it. Most people know “all inclusive” – that’s how it is meant. It is originally a leftover soup that contains “alles” (= everything, High German) = “all” (Low German). The inclusion of the fish eel came later, it was not included at first.
Promised, our eel soup is with real eel and also the baked fruit, which belongs to it after Hamburg kind.
So, now we can start cooking, and I wish you good luck!
1. Cooking Eel Soup, my Tips at a Glance
For the preparation of our eel soup I recommend the following ingredients:
- Smoked eel
- Soup vegetables (carrots, leek, celery)
- Baked fruit (dried fruit such as plums, apples, apricots)
- Vegetable broth
- Optional dry white wine
- Fresh or dried dill
- Pepper, salt and chili
2. Special Features of Hamburg Eel Soup
The Hamburg eel soup is slightly different because it contains ham bones, dried fruit, flour dumplings and soup vegetables. The eel is added as a garnish.
This is the traditional sweet and sour Hamburg eel soup.
I personally find potatoes healthier and tastier and prefer my soup to be based on a vegetable broth. That is why I have made my soup a little lighter and fresher.
3. Smoked Eel Soup versus Green Eel
You are probably asking yourself: Why smoked eel and not “green” eel? For those who are not familiar with the term “green” eel or “green” herring: These are the fish that are prepared in the dish as fresh fish as opposed to smoked fish or pickled fish.
“Green fish” is fresh fish
To get back to your question: Smoked eel is simply very hearty and rustic in taste. The smoky taste harmonises perfectly with the sweet dried fruit and the vegetables in the soup. What can I say: Simply a great kick on the tongue.
Smoked eel is our deal!
My post Filleting of Eel shows you step by step how to perfectly prepare the smoked eel for your soup.
4. Recipe Eelsoup
- 1 pc smoked eel See note on filleting in the article!
- 200 g soup vegetables carrots, leek, celery
- 2 pc potatoes
- 1 pc onion
- 60 g dried plums without stone mixed dried fruit with apples and apricots
- 2 tbs butter
- 50 ml dry white wine optional!
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 pinches pepper
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 2-4 pinches finely chopped fresh dill or dried dill
- 6-8 pc onion rings
- File the smoked eel, see the step-by-step instructions with photos linked in the article above.
- Place the portioned eel pieces in a cool place for later serving.
- Wash, peel and chop the soup vegetables. Sweat about 1/4 of the amount with some butter in a pot for 8 minutes until colourless. Deglaze with the white wine and fill up with cold stock.
- Add the skin and bones of the smoked eel and let it simmer for about 15 minutes below boiling point at about 90-95°C. Try the stock several times and pass through the soup if the smoked taste is too strong for you.
- Peel the onion and cut into strips or cubes. Place the remaining soup vegetables ready. Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into 0.5 cm cubes. Sauté the vegetables in a little butter.
- Pass the finished smoked eel stock through a fine sieve to the fresh vegetables and bring to the boil.Cook the vegetables until firm to the bite and add the prunes shortly before serving. Season the soup with salt, pepper and chilli.
- Preheat the soup plates in the microwave or oven.Put the finished soup into the plates. Place the eel pieces in the soup. Decorate with onion rings and finely chopped fresh dill and serve quickly. Bon appetite!
5. Calories and Nutritional Values
6. Weitere leckere Suppen RezepteAll soup recipes
Kale Soup with Eel Recipe for a perfect Dinner
Potato soup, Tomato soup, Herbs soup, Pumpkin soup, Bouillabaise, Gazpacho, Asparagus soup, Pea soup, Potato soup