Here a Radicchio Risotto recipe, with it I kidnap you today in the Italian kitchen and show you a particularly fine dish. Risotto is next to pizza and pasta one of the most popular Italian dishes.
This time my simple, healthy Risotto variant with Radicchio comes on the plate. The preparation I show you step by step in the Radicchio Risotto video.
Have fun with this recipe contribution and many tips, you can find the recipe at the end of the page. Good luck!
- 1. Risotto: A short Definition
- 2. Risotto rice – which one is the Best?
- 3. The Vegetable for my Risotto: The Radicchio
- 4. Easy and quick Radicchio Risotto
- 5. Cooking Video: Radicchio Risotto
- 6. Recipe Radicchio Risotto
- 7. Calories (kcal.) Radicchio Risotto, an Overview of Nutritional Values
- 8. Other Recipes for Risotto
1. Risotto: A short Definition
Most of you probably know that risotto has its roots in Italy. And that it is also really tasty. Nevertheless, we prefer eating it at our favorite Italian restaurant because we think: “It takes a long time, and you have to stir it the whole time.”
This sounds too challenging for most. I will show you that preparation is very easy and also doesn’t take as much time as you think. But first I will give you some basic information about the classic Italian dish.
Risotto is a rice dish cooked with medium grain rice. The preparation of the different kinds of risotto is very similar and can be varied with the ingredients.
You sear rice together with onion and then fill up with stock. Then you cook the rice until it has the right texture. Depending on the recipe, you add vegetables and wine. In any case you have to add lots of cheese, that guarantees a great flavor.
2. Risotto rice – which one is the Best?
You always have some rice at home, but usually it’s the normal long grain rice. As mentioned before, we need medium grain rice for our risotto.
Use medium grain rice for risotto, the best kinds are called Abrorio oder Vialone nano.
The most popular kinds of risotto are Abrorio, Vialone, Maratelli and Carnaroli. I prefer Abrorio or Vialone nano. But find out yourself which rice is the best to your taste.
3. The Vegetable for my Risotto: The Radicchio
Many vegetables taste great in a risotto. The most popular vegetables are mushrooms. I chose radicchio for you – I promise that it is great in combination with the red wine.
4. Easy and quick Radicchio Risotto
Now it is time to prove that cooking a risotto doesn’t take as much time as you thought in the beginning.
So let’s start: first you cut the onions and the garlic into fine cubes. Then you halve the radicchio and cut the back part into stripes. The rest I set aside for later.
I brown the onions and the garlic cubes and add the rice. Then I add the radicchio, this guarantees you a great intense flavor in the end.
After that I deglaze the rice with the red wine and add the stock. I reduce the heat and let the risotto cook. In the meantime I slice the rest of the radicchio.
I add half of the radicchio to the risotto in the beginning – as a result the flavor will be more intense!
You don’t have to stir all the time while the risotto is cooking, just once in a while!
Add a little stock if there is not enough liquid.
4.1. Which stock for the Risotto?
I prefer chicken stock for my radicchio risotto. The stock I already prepared before. If you are a vegetarian, you also can use vegetable stock and if you are a little lazy take bouillon cubes 🙂
It is risotto time!
Soon our risotto is finished. While the risotto cooks for the last 8-10 minutes, I grate the Parmesan cheese.
How do I know that my risotto has the right texture? If it slides off the spoon, it is perfect!
In the end I season the risotto with pepper and add the rest of the radicchio and the Parmesan cheese. Then my tasty risotto is ready for serving. Arrange it on plates and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese!
4.2. What to do when the Radiccio Risotto is to bitter?
If the risotto is too bitter, I have a great cooking tip: add some cream to the risotto! You might have to season with pepper a little.
Have fun cooking!
5. Cooking Video: Radicchio Risotto
6. Recipe Radicchio Risotto
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 30 ml olive oil
- 100 g risotto rice Arborio, Vialone nano
- 1 radicchio big
- 100 ml red wine
- 350 ml vegetable stock
- 80 g Parmesan
- a little chili pepper fresh
- a little cream
- Peel and cube the onions finely and mash the garlic, then brown them in a pot with a dash of olive oil, add the rice and let it sweat.
- Cut the radicchio in half.
- Prepare the finely cut leaves, and cut the rest of the radicchio in tiny pieces (don't use the very bottom). Add them to the risotto.
- Deglaze the radicchio risotto with some red wine, stir well and add the stock.
- The rice should be covered completely.
- Cook the radicchio risotto at low heat until firm to the bite while stirring now and again.
- Season with some chili.
- Grate the cheese and add it to the risotto just before it is done cooking. Also add the olive oil.
- Season the risotto to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the rest of the radicchio leaves and serve the risotto.
- If you like, you can refine the risotto with some cream.
- Also you can add some butter to the radicchio risotto before serving!