OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my recipe for Roast Duck. Some time ago I cooked this dish with my friend Wolfgang and documented it for you.
The duck is one of my favorite dishes and in the article there are extra many tips for the preparation at star level.
The many step by step pictures accompany you cooking yourself. Additionally I have added some videos.
Here you get the perfect instructions for roasting duck whole, preparing crispy duck, carving duck professionally, preparing duck sauce, side dishes to duck.
Have fun reading!
- 1. Preparing Roast Duck in the Oven, the Overview
- 2. How to prepare a Crispy Duck
- 3. Recipe Duck with Dumplings and Red Cabbage
- 4. Calories (kcal) Roast Duck with Dumplings and Red Cabbage, Nutritional Values
- 5. Other Recipes with Duck
1. Preparing Roast Duck in the Oven, the Overview
The preparation of the duck takes place today in the oven. First I would like to give you an overview, so that the duck roast succeeds simply
- Get a whole duck
- Optional filling for the baking sheet: apple and onion, marjoram and garlic.
- For the sauce veal stock and vegetable broth or chicken broth
- As a side dish, prepare red cabbage yourself or follow my tip below
- As a side dish, prepare potato dumplings or napkin dumplings.
- Prepare Brussels sprouts as a side dish.
For the preparation of the duck you can reserve a time frame of 2-3 hours.
1.1 Fill Duck or prepare Duck without Filling
I learned how to roast ducks from Alfons Schuhbeck. The ducks were always filled with a mixture of apple pieces and onion pieces, seasoned with marjoram.
The filling helps to develop flavours. The gravy and the duck fat will taste delicious.
You can also put your duck unfilled in the oven. Put the apple and onions on the baking tray and you will get a similar effect.
The preparation of the duck resembles the preparation of goose roast, therefore I have inserted you the video:
1.2 German Roast Duck with Dumplings
In today’s recipe I will show you a simple variation with potato dumplings made from half and half potato dough. This is the preferred dumpling mass in Bavaria.
The preparation of this dumpling mass is very easy, you just mix the powder with cold water. Because then still time remains I fill the dumplings with roasted pumpkin seeds. These are then surprise dumplings and these always arrive with guests.
Insider tip for the dumplings: Roast breadcrumbs light brown, add butter and parsley, pour the butter crumbs over the dumplings.
As an alternative I can offer you a recipe of napkin dumplings, Bohemian dumplings and pretzel dumplings. The video of the dumpling preparation follows here:
1.3 Duck and Red Cabbage
You can find a recipe for making red cabbage yourself on my page. My recommendation is: Prepare the red cabbage the day before and then heat it up again. Red cabbage gets better and better on the second day.
If you would like to use a prepared, already cooked red cabbage from the glass, then refine the cabbage with red wine, port wine and apple sauce and let the cabbage simmer gently on the stove.
Refining tips: Add cranberries and a little cinnamon to the red cabbage.
I’ll show you how to prepare red cabbage in the following video:
1.4 Duck Sauce
I have already written elsewhere about the different types of duck sauce.
For a good homemade duck sauce you need the duck carcasses, apple and onions, veal stock and vegetable broth.
The roasted duck you can release at least two, better four hours before serving and prepare the duck pieces on a baking tray.
The duck bones = duck carcasses move into a pot with the gravy and the cooked apples and onions. Add the veal stock and the vegetable stock or chicken stock.
Let this cold sauce simmer gently for two to four hours, then pass through the sauce, reduce, thicken with grated potatoes, mix with butter and serve.
My insider tip for duck sauce: Cut the duck liver raw into small pieces, bring the prepared duck sauce to the boil and add the liver. Do not boil the sauce again, mix, pass through a fine sieve and serve.
The preparation of the duck sauce works like the preparation of sauce for roasting goose, following two videos:
Prepare the Duck Gravy:
Duck Sauce Tip Video:
2. How to prepare a Crispy Duck
The preparation of the crispy duck is very easy. Please heed the following tips:
- Pour the roast juice over the duck in the oven every 30 minutes.
- Pierce the skin of the duck with a thin fork.
- Season the skin with salt after pouring.
- Trigger the duck and place the duck pieces on a baking tray, skin side up.
- Cook the duck pieces in the preheated grill until crispy shortly before serving.
But I have also a video…
2.1 How to carve the Roast Duck – Video
2.2 Crispy Duck Video
3. Recipe Duck with Dumplings and Red Cabbage
The following is the recipe with exact quantities. I wish you good luck!
- 1 pc Duck ca. 2,2 kg
- 3 pc onions for filling/stuffing
- 3 pc apple for filling/stuffing
- 2-3 tbsp majoram
- cooked stuffing of duck Apple and onions from the roasted duck
- crushed, cooked duck bones
- Duck's intestines and neck
- Roast set from baking tray and duck fat
- 0.5-1 l veal stock
- 0.5-1 l Chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 pc potato raw to grate finely and tie the duck gravy
- 60 g cold butter
- 1 pc Half and half dumplings
- 4 tbsp roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 500 g Red cabbage finely chopped
- 100 ml vegetable broth
- 120 g apple compote
- 3 tbsp cranberries or cowberries
- 150 ml white wine dry
- 30 ml Balsamico
- 1 pc onion
- 1 pc bay leaf place onion
- 1 pc clove stick through bay leaf and onion
- Defrost the duck, wash and dry. Place the innards such as liver, stomach, heart, throat and belly fat on the baking tray. If you want to prepare the liver sauce, prepare the liver extra. Wash the Enetn, dry it and place it on the baking tray. Preheat oven to 180°C hot air.
- Prepare the filling: Peel and quarter the onion and place in a large bowl. Wash the apples, cut them into quarters and add to the onions. Season the filling with salt, pepper and marjoram. You can also add some garlic.
- Season the duck on the baking tray with salt and pepper, fold down the wings and give the duck a good stand. Put the filling in the belly. You can close the duck with a wooden skewer, sew the belly with a roast string or leave it open. Season the duck from above with salt and pepper and put it in the oven.
- The cooking time of a duck with approx. 2 kg is at 175°C 85 minutes. Cook small ducks accordingly shorter. Pour the resulting gravy over the duck every 30 minutes and add a little salt. Professionals carefully prick the skin with a sharp needle so that the fat runs out and the skin becomes crispier. Note: The breast is always cooked before the legs. That's why in gourmet restaurants the duck is served in two courses, first the duck breast, then the post-garden legs.
- Remove the ducks from the oven and leave to cool for 30 minutes. Place the gravy with the stuffing and the cooked duck in a high saucepan. Remove the duck breasts starting from the sternum.
- After the breasts trigger the duck legs.
- Place the prepared pieces of duck on the baking tray.
- Dismantle the duck carcass and put it into the pot. The roasted filling is already there. You can also add fresh onions and apples. Now fill up with veal stock and vegetable stock and simmer for at least 2 hours, better up to 4 hours.Pass the sauce through a fine sieve, reduce the sauce to the desired taste and thicken with fresh, finely grated raw potato. Mix up the sauce, season to taste again and bring to the boil before serving and assemble with the butter. For the liver sauce, follow the instructions in the article!
- Put the pumpkin seeds in a pan, roast and season with salt. Let the pumpkin seeds cool down.
- Prepare the dumpling mass for the half and half potato dumplings according to the instructions on the packet and let it steep.
- Portion the dumpling mass with an ice-cream scoop or a small ladle. Fill the pumpkin seeds in the middle, close and form round dumplings. Place the dumplings in boiling salted water and cook over a low heat for about 12 minutes.
- Attention the day before! Or follow the tips for preparing red cabbage from the glass from above.Mix the finely chopped red cabbage with chicken stock, apple sauce, cranberries, white wine, balsamic vinegar as well as salt and pepper - knead the red cabbage well.The marinated red cabbage can now be marinated overnight in a pot in the fridge or prepared immediately. Before bringing to the boil, add the onion, halved and larded with bay leaf and clove.Bring the red cabbage to the boil with the lid on, then simmer lightly for 1.5-2.5 hours with the lid on, if necessary add some vegetable stock.Season the red cabbage to taste with salt and pepper and keep ready for serving.
- After the arrival of the guests, fry the duck pieces again lightly salted under the grill at approx. 230 ° C until crispy.
- Heat the side dishes and the plates. Arrange the side dishes: Remove the dumplings from the water and drain on kitchen paper, squeeze the red cabbage on a sieve. Carve the crispy duck pieces and put them on the plate.
- Mix the sauce with butter, season to taste and add to the duck on the plate.
- Serve the served duck quickly.
4. Calories (kcal) Roast Duck with Dumplings and Red Cabbage, Nutritional Values
5. Other Recipes with DuckBavarian Roast duck with Prezels Dumplings
Recipe roasted duck
Duck with pineapple recipe with cooking video
Duck legs recipe baking oven
Recipe Chinese duck with cooking video
Duck breast in the oven mediterranean
Frying duck breast step by step guide
Salad with duck breast, glass noodles and mango. With cooking video instruction!
Duck breast with lamb's lettuce as starter with cooking video instruction
Sauce for duck and duck breast
Goose and duck vegetarian
Goose roast perfectly prepare recipe with 9 videos
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Christmas Recipes
- Duck Recipes
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Main Courses Recipes
- Meat Recipes
- Recipes with Cooking Videos from Thomas Sixt
- Top 15 Recipes for Christmas
OTHER LANGUAGES: German