OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll introduce you to my recipe of Currywurst with french fries. The Currywurst is from Berlin to Hamburg, from Cologne to Munich the most popular sausage dish of the German nation!
Making Currywurst yourself starts with choosing the right sausage, a Top Currywurst sauce recipe, a selection of curry spices and wonderfully homemade fries.
So that our brain cells can regenerate I have added a variant of the vegetarian Currywurst. Gourmets now only eat vegetarian or vegan currywurst!
If you want to get into the Bild newspaper I recommend Curry sausage with gold leaf!
In the article you get a lot of tips, at the same time I make a summary of what my cook colleagues Schuhbeck, Mälzer and Rosin conjure up around the Currywurst.
The regional overview shows you the small, fine differences between Ruhrpott Currywurst, VW and Volkswagen Currywurst from Hannover and Berliner Currywurst.
I wish you lots of fun reading and good luck making your own Currywurst!
Currywurst is a bratwurst sausage served with curry-flavoured ketchup and curry powder
- 1. Make Currywurst yourself
- 2. Currywurst which sausage
- 3. Vegetarian Currywurst
- 4. Currywurst Sauce Recipe
- 5. Currywurst – Which Curry is the right one?
- 6. Currywurst Regional: Berlin Currywurst, Volkswagen Currywurst, Ruhrpott Currywurst
- 7. Recipe Currywurst
- 8. Calorie curry sausage with fries
1. Make Currywurst yourself
You need to currywurst with fries to make the following tools yourself:
- A well filled deep fryer or a large pot with vegetable oil and basket for frying.
- Possibly a pan with a high edge for frying the sausage.
- A cutting board and a knife.
- A pot for the currywurst sauce, cooking spoon and ladle.
- A large bowl with water for the potatoes.
- A matching harness and all Currywurst ingredients.
I am going to prepare the fries in this post only in passing.
In the article Making french fries myself I explain how to prepare french fries step by step.
The proven approach:
First prepare the Currywurst sauce, then take care of the french fries and fry or deep fry the Currywurst.
You’ve already noticed! Currywurst please slightly cut before roasting…
Chef chefs fry Currywurst for a better taste in the pan!
If you want to avoid the fryer, prepare the chips in the oven. So you can concentrate on the preparation of the currywurst in the pan and the currywurst sauce.
Little time? Preparing chips in the oven and concentrating fully on preparing curry sausages…
2. Currywurst which sausage
To make Currywurst yourself you buy one of the following sausages:
- vegetarian or vegan bratwurst
- white bratwurst
- red bratwurst
- veal bratwurst
For the Berliner Currywurst there is the variant with and without intestine. The cylindrical Berliner Currywurst without casing is similar in appearance to the Bavarian wool sausages.
The Berliner Currywurst is a defined name: It is an uncured and non-smoked bratwurst with a maximum water content of 5%.
3. Vegetarian Currywurst
We eat too much meat and sausage, does that fit into a currywurst post?
I would like to encourage you to try the Currywurst with a soy sausage.
It tastes delicious and is good for body and soul. I like to use Quorn Bratwurst, which is available in the supermarket.
Vegetarian Currywurst saves the planet and is good for the soul!
If you have a good tip for another vegetarian or vegan bratwurst in stock, please use the comment function and post… THANK YOU!
Advantage: For vegetarian Currywurst you don’t need a butcher or butcher of your trust! 🙂
4. Currywurst Sauce Recipe
Here two variants for Currywurst Sauce, one a quick variant and a homemade variant for gourmets:
4.1 Currywurst Sauce quick
Here the overview to the fast Currywurst sauce:
- A part of Hela Curry Ketchup and
- A portion of chunky canned tomatoes
Place the two ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. The quick currwurst sauce is ready.
Hela Curry Ketchup is the secret ingredient for fast currywurst sauce.
4.2 Currywurst Sauce self made
Here is the overview of the homemade Currywurst sauce:
- Caramelise the garlic with a little sugar and diced onion in a saucepan.
- Quickly add the chunky tomatoes from the tin.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Add a slice of finely sliced ginger.
- Add some broth.
- Bring to the boil, let simmer for 15 minutes, thicken with cold mixed cornflour.
- Season with curry, cayenne pepper and paprika to a fine sweet taste.
- Flavour with balsamic vinegar, Worcester sauce, sugar and salt.
You can either serve the currywurst sauce in pieces or mix the sauce with a hand blender and pass through a fine sieve.
Use brown sugar for your currywurst sauce. Raw cane sugar tastes better and is healthier!
Honey and agave syrup are other alternatives to sugar.
5. Currywurst – Which Curry is the right one?
The topic Curry to the Currywurst here in detail. This can make it easier for you to choose the right spice rack, the following table gives you ideas for the right curry:
|Curry name||Taste and appearance|
|Pineapple Curry||Yellow curry powder with pineapple taste gives the Currywurst a delicate and fruity aroma.|
|Madras Curry||Popular for Currywurst: yellowish colour, soft to pungent taste, fruity and pleasant.|
|Mango Curry||Yellow orange, brings a fruity mango touch to the currywurst. Test it carefully!|
|Smokey Curry||Exciting taste with a fine smoky aroma, mostly bright yellow and therefore worth a try!|
|Thai Curry||Reddish hot available, carefully test, Thai aromas does not like everyone to the Currywurst.|
|Lemon Curry||Curry hotness with lemon aroma brings fresh taste to the Currywurst. Don't exaggerate! Colour yellow/green...|
|Jaipur Curry||Yellow curry of the fans of spicy currywurst delighted.|
|Love-Curry||Whether it works or not, this curry mixture is worth a test in terms of colour and taste!|
6. Currywurst Regional: Berlin Currywurst, Volkswagen Currywurst, Ruhrpott Currywurst
Let’s have a look at the Currywurst now for regional specialities:
|Berlin Currywurst||In the original an uncured and not smoked Bratwurst with or without intestine. Chili and onions can be added on request.|
|Volkswagen Currywurst||Currywurst based on a hot smoked and pre-grown bockwurst, served with an in-house sauce produced by Develey - Everything good comes from Bavaria 🙂|
|Ruhrpott Currywurst||White or red sausage served with chips, mayo, tomato ketchup and onion cubes. The sauce is sometimes a shashlik sauce.|
|Bavarian Currywurst||Red sausage, chips, hot curry sauce, sometimes served with pepperoni.|
|Viennese Currywurst||White bratwurst, without sauce only served with ketchup, onions and curry powder sprinkled.|
7. Recipe Currywurst
Read this far? This is enough to satisfy the knowledge about the Currywurst. NOW it starts! Here is my recipe for Currywurst and Currywurst sauce to make yourself. I wish you good luck!
- 1 pc garlic
- 1 tbsp brown cane sugar
- 1 pc onion or two shallots finely diced
- 1 can tomatoes chunky or strained tomatoes
- 1 slice fresh ginger finely diced
- 100 ml vegetable broth
- 2 tsp Curry use Madras Curry
- 4 pinch cayenne peppper
- 1 tbsp Paprika spice noble sweet
- 1-2 tbsp cornflour mix in 80 ml cold water
- 1 tbsp Balsamico use an old, ripened balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 4 pinch pepper black, grounded
- 1/2 tbsp salt I use Himalayan salt or pure natural Ursalz
- 2 tsp brown cane sugar I also like to use honey or agave syrup
- 200 g Hela Curry Ketchup
- 200 g strained tomatoes
- 4 pc sausages for Currywurst vegetarian bratwurst, white or red bratwurst, veal bratwurst or bockwurst
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil for frying the Currywurst in the pan
- 400-500 g potato sticks see article Making French fries yourself, mealy potato variety has proven its worth
- 1.2 kg rapeseed oil to fry the French fries
- 1 bag oven French fries alternatively, if you do NOT want to fry French fries at home.
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 4-6 pinch pepper
- 2 TL Curry according to taste, for guests several curry spice blends. See table in article
- 1 bag garden cress
- 1 bag fresh herbs parsley, rosemary, thyme
- 4 leaves leaf gold or gold leaf dust
- 1 bottle Champagne
- 4 bottles beer with a regional connection from Cologne, Hanover, Berlin or Munich
- 4 portions black tea Lapsang Souchong
- Put the garlic on a fork and put it in a pot. Add the sugar and caramelise over a moderate heat. Add the diced shallots or onions and sweat for about 30 seconds to one minute until colourless. Leave to stand next to the stove for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, finely chopped ginger, vegetable stock, curry, cayenne pepper and paprika and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour in some cold water and thicken the Currywurst sauce by adding the cornflour and bring to the boil according to your own taste.
- The Currywurst sauce refined with some balsamic vinegar, Worcester sauce, salt, pepper and sugar season to taste. Keep the sauce warm until serving.
- Put Hela curry ketchup with tomatoes in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, season to taste with curry, salt, pepper, sugar and paprika. Keep the sauce warm until serving.
- Please note the tips and instructions in my article Making chips yourself! Blanch potato sticks in hot fat, let cool for 15 minutes, then finally fry the chips until crispy, put into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- It has proved successful to keep homemade French fries warm in the oven at 160°C. So the supply is guaranteed!
- Alternatively, prepare the chips for the oven according to the instructions on the packaging!
- The sausages simply or crosswise carefully, do not cut deeply. Prepare the sausages either in the deep fryer or fry them like a star chef with a little rapeseed oil in a frying pan and let them take on a nice colour.
- Place the currywurst whole or sliced on a warm plate.
- Cover the currywurst with currywurst sauce, making sure that some sausage pieces look out without sauce.
- Put the prepared French fries to the curry sausage.
- Sprinkle the curry sausage with the desired curry or present various curry spice mixtures at the table. You can decorate the Currywurst with some cress or in the luxury version, if you want to make it into the Bild newspaper with gold leaf or bellow gold dust.
- Serve the Currywurst with beer or Champanger, to the vegetarian Currywurst a Lapsang Souchong tea has itself as beverage, that is a chinesscher, noble smoked tea proven.
- Currywurst can be complemented with gold leaf, fresh cress or fried garden herbs. Shortly fried rosemary tastes delicious, with crispy basil leaves or freshly fried parsley you cook this dish on star cook level.
8. Calorie curry sausage with fries
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Classics of Good Cuisine Recipes
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Main Courses Recipes
- Meat Classics Recipes
- Meat Recipes
- Vegetarian Main Dishes Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German