Welcome to my Cranberry Compote recipe. A fast cooked compote, which will delight you in autumn and winter as a side dish.
I like the red berries! The great heather plant has a unique sourish-harsh taste. No wonder it is very popular. Especially in the USA it is an indispensable ingredient for Thanksgiving.
A real superfood for better eaters: Fresh cranberries are healthy!
So let’s go into the kitchen now and quickly conjure up a great compote. I wish you all the best!
1. Cranberry, the large-fruited Berry introduces itself
Cranberries are not cowberries and you can either juice or boil the fruits. Some time ago I had given a recipe for cranberries as part of a development of recipes.
The experimental kitchen used the easily available cranberry instead. Of course the recipe didn’t work, that can happen 🙂 if you use pears instead of apples!
Additional information: Did you know that cranberries can swim? This should make the harvest much easier.
1.1 Health Effects
The value contribution of the great red fruits to maintaining urinary tract and bladder health was often discussed. In fact, the power of efficacy is still open. Other positive aspects can hardly be argued away 🙂
Fresh cranberries contain a lot of vitamin C, vitamin A and antioxidants!
2. Preserve Cranberries
Our aromatic wonder berries make a fine compote that will enrich your food on your plate in autumn and winter. You can also add it to your muesli or use it for baking!
And isn’t it wonderful: You don’t need much time and only a few ingredients.
How long do you cook cranberries? The fruits burst open during cooking: plop, plop… That sounds almost like preparing popcorn. Now you can let the compote steep for another 10 minutes and then fill it up.
List of Ingredients for Shopping and Kitchen Checks
- apples (optional)
- lemon juice and lemon grime
- vanilla pod and scraped pulp
- star anise
2.1 How durable is my Cranberry Compote?
You can store my compote in the fridge for 3 days.
For a larger stock I take this way:
- I use sterile screw glasses.
- Therefore I put the empty, heat-resistant glasses together with the lids in a pot with boiling water.
- My compote has to be very hot in the glass.
- Then quickly put the lid on it and screw it down tightly.
- Thus the compote in the glass holds nearly 1 year. – By the way also a great gift and souvenir!
2.2 Variations of Compote, add Apples!
Kranbeeren – so the German designation – can be prepared in different ways.
You can use the berries to make compote, jam or jelly. In the cake they also taste great as a direct inlay.
Here I would like to introduce you to the classic variant of processed fruit.
|Spices||sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, star anise, cloves, cardamom, lemon peel zest, orange peel zest|
|Liquid||lemon juice, water, sherry, rum, orange juice|
|Fruit Friends||pear, apple, orange|
|Fits to...||turkey, poultry like duck and goose, game, braised beef, camembert, blue cheese, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts, chestnuts, rice pudding, yoghurt, cake|
3. Here comes the Recipe
The following is a step-by-step guide for you and the recipe with exact ingredients. Have fun and good luck!
- 1000 g cranberries
- 500 g brown sugar I take raw cane sugar
- 300 ml water still water or tap water
- 1 pc lemon I use an organic lemon for juice and lemon peel abrasion.
- 1 pc vanilla pod, the vanilla pulp
- 2 pc cloves
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 2 pc star anise
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Wash 1 kg cranberries well.
- Finely grate the peel of 1 lemon and set aside the lemon peel for further use. Then squeeze out the lemon.
- Halve a vanilla pod with a sharp knife. Scratch out the vanilla pulp with a knife.
- Add the vanilla pulp and 500 g brown sugar.
- Break open a cinnamon stick lengthwise with your hand and halve it.
- Add 2 pieces of star anise.
- Add 2 cloves.
- Put all ingredients in a high pot.
- Heat cranberries, lemon juice, sugar, 300 ml water and spices on the stove. Stir with a wooden spoon while cooking. When the berries burst, reduce the heat and allow to steep gently for about 20 minutes to develop the flavour. Stir at least once every 5 minutes.
- Arrange for direct consumption in small bowls. Remove cinnamon, anise and cloves.
- To preserve the compote, pour it into clean preserving jars while it is boiling hot and screw together quickly. Enjoy your meal!
4. Overview of Calories and Nutritional Values
5. Recipes to match this DishCranberry compote harmonises excellently with the following dishes... Venison roast
Boeuf a la mode
Goat cheese salad Other fruit preparations: Apple Compote
Apricot Marmalade with Jelly Sugar
Berry Fruit Jam